« on: 16 January 2018, 11:07:41 PM »
The game is already much improved on how it looked at launch, so thanks for all of your hard work! Also, thanks for the offer of an extended six months' worth of subscription, which is much appreciated.
The things I'd like to see fixed or added most urgently are (in order of priority): -
1. User Interface - Just needs to be more coherent overall. Buttons should always be in the same area of the screen, and behave the same way. No need to ever click anything in the log to perform an action. The log should be an entirely optional interface element. No information should ever be hidden from the player (your "better visualisation of split piles" suggestion falls under this category). Selecting a default option when there's only one thing to choose from should be both optional and turned off by default - this is one of the most confusing aspects of the UI, as it's often hard to work out what just happened.
2. Logs - The option to quickly and easily view all games I've ever played, and click through to the full log of each game. The ability to bulk download these logs, or have access to an API to get at the data.
3. Better usage of large screens - As larger resolutions like 2560×1440 and 3840×2160 become more common, it would be great if the game was responsive to having this amount of space to work with. I'm playing on a 4K monitor, and there's plenty of room to show extended info for all players (duration cards, mat contents and so on), plus loads of space for both the trash pile and the log side-by-side. Instead, the interface makes no use of the extra real estate, and some aspects barely work at all at larger sizes - some cards becoming massive while others remain tiny, and some text getting cut off or overlapping its bounds.
4. Android compatibility - It would be very nice to have a way of playing on my phone. If possible, I'd rather see this achieved through better compatibility of the current version, rather than introducing an app - both from a consistency perspective, and to avoid you guys having to duplicate work needlessly.
5. Improved moderation - It would be nice if the "blacklist" and "report" buttons were separated, and if "report" allowed you to specify a reason. Sometimes I want to blacklist someone just because I don't like them and don't want the unpleasantness of playing them again, but I don't think they deserve banning. Other times I think someone needs to be reported for the sake of the community, but not necessarily due to slow-playing. Also, it would be great to get some automated feedback over whether bothering to report someone has actually resulted in any action being taken against them.
6. Force resigning delay - The ability to customise how long the delay is before the "make opponent resign" option appears. At the moment it's way too long. But I can see why some players wouldn't want it globally reduced without an option to change it.
7. Tutorials - For new players, add a huge unmissable pop-up the first time you launch the game saying "right-click cards or log text for more information". This would go a long way in lieu of full tutorials.
The things which I think would be nice to have, but which are much less important to me than the above essentials are (again, in order of priority): -
1. Card sets - The ability to save sets of cards for later play - particularly saving the set just played after a game (or during?) and having a quick and easy way of selecting one of these sets before starting a game.
2. Tournaments - Could be a lot of fun, especially if a community developed around them. They would be a great way to promote the game to a wider audience. Ideally, the feature would support playing the tournament out over an extended period of time if required, so that tournaments were still viable even if you couldn't get all the players online together at the same time.
3. Timed games - Could be fun, and should be quick & easy to add. I'm not sure how this would work with the vastly different turn lengths inherent in different sets of cards though?
4. Offline client - Would be occasionally useful, but mainly only if it worked on Android phones too. Also, it would be much preferable if it was essentially the same version of the game, just modified to run without an internet connection.
5. Campaigns - MF's campaigns were a lovely idea, but horrifically badly designed and written. If campaigns were done well, with an interesting storyline combined with really well-tailored kingdoms and custom rules, it could be a fantastic feature and a great way of attracting new users to the game. I have a million ideas for cool things that could be done with them, and I'd kill for the opportunity to design it.
6. Tutorials (part 2) - It would be great to direct new players to the site without having to worry that they won't pick up the interface. Even better if the site could teach them the essentials of playing Dominion entirely from scratch (though that's a pretty ambitious aim). As others have pointed out, this aim combines well with the "campaigns" idea above, as the basic tutorial would be best implemented as a beginner's campaign.