Auto kick instead of "Already logged in" message

Previous topic - Next topic

yed

Why not automatically kick other session instead of "Already logged in" message?

I can't think of a case where it would be a problem.

Stef

Quote from: yed on 03 January 2017, 03:59:23 AM
Why not automatically kick other session instead of "Already logged in" message?

I can't think of a case where it would be a problem.

I remember watching a league match that just was *poof* gone because one of the kids of the streamer logged on on the computer in the living room.

Also... if those sessions stay alive despite you being gone, it's a sign something is bugged. Your friends would be under the impression you're online while you are not. I'd much rather solve that issue (or at least hear about it)

JunkDealer

How about an option to do the Kick when this occurs rather than a notification that someone is "Already Logged In" and back to the login screen?

Alternatively, make the kick more visible.  Being next to the Forgot Password as a link means people like me filter it as unnecessary information.  The first few times I ran into this I didn't see the Kick and actually had to go to the other device in another part of the house and log it out so that I could then go back and log in.  Based on the feedback I'm seeing on this I don't think I'm the only one who didn't see the Kick option until reading the forum.

There also doesn't appear to be a way to logout when finished which could increase the need for kicking and may make those security conscious people nervous.

Stef

Quote from: JunkDealer on 03 January 2017, 05:42:28 PM
There also doesn't appear to be a way to logout when finished which could increase the need for kicking and may make those security conscious people nervous.

You log out by closing the tab.
(or by severing the connection in some other way)

JunkDealer

Quote from: Stef on 03 January 2017, 06:31:29 PM

I've seen that, however speaking for my wife, that isn't sufficient.  She is slightly paranoid about logging out of things and needs a confirmation that it has been done.  It might be a minor change, but from a security perspective is something I think should be added.

Thanks!

serakfalcon

Quote from: JunkDealer on 03 January 2017, 06:33:35 PM
Quote from: Stef on 03 January 2017, 06:31:29 PM

I've seen that, however speaking for my wife, that isn't sufficient.  She is slightly paranoid about logging out of things and needs a confirmation that it has been done.  It might be a minor change, but from a security perspective is something I think should be added.

Thanks!

Very much agree. I don't trust things that supposedly run on the tab being closed, and if the number of people being affected by the "already logged in" bug is any indication, severing the connection is still keeping something live server side.

Stef

Quote from: serakfalcon on 04 January 2017, 05:15:20 PM
Very much agree. I don't trust things that supposedly run on the tab being closed, and if the number of people being affected by the "already logged in" bug is any indication, severing the connection is still keeping something live server side.

No people closing the tab are really logged out. If you want to check you can see it happen when an in-game friend is looking at the "matching" tab.

The problem is people keeping their tab open, and then their computer going to sleep mode. These connections are never explicitly severed, or at least none of the onClose handlers on the server side are ever called. Also problematic is when someones internet connection starts to fail but doesn't fail completely.

--

I decided to take up on yeds suggestion after all; the current settings are causing too much trouble and not worth the confusion with "already logged in", so the next release (in a couple of hours) will auto-kick on login.