Re: Releases

Previous topic - Next topic

blamelewis

Thanks Ingix, appreciate it!

AdamH

I've tried getting used to this for a few days, but I just can't do it, I have to leave a comment about this.

Moving the end actions/end buys button was a huge downgrade to the software. First, the button looks terrible against basically every background with that nasty pink color.

But the most important thing is that those buttons used to be way far away from where they could be accidentally be clicked and now they're right in the play area. There's now this big ugly button that says "hey click me, I completely ruin your turn!"

One of the very first Goko browser extensions was to move those buttons as far away from the play area as possible and I don't understand why that work has been undone here. This was the most popular feature of those browser extensions at the time.

Please at least add an option to move this button far away from the play area so it can't be accidentally clicked, and please make the button at least look better. Just a black/grey background would make it so much better.

SkyHard

Quote from: AdamH on 04 July 2020, 02:21:02 PM
Moving the end actions/end buys button was a huge downgrade to the software. First, the button looks terrible against basically every background with that nasty pink color.

I agree. Furthermore, the "End Action" and "End Buy" are now in the exact same spot. Why is that bad? Well, I tend to click without looking because I know were I need to click and thus it is another possible error due to the interface. Also, double clicks do happen.

Ingix

We had hoped that the coloring of the button would make an accidental click much less likely. But the option to minimize the chat field and thus increase the log area means the buttons had to move.

AdamH

If this is the case then it seems very clear that reverting this change would be best for the software.

katie_mi

I agree with the other posters about the new button. The new placement leads to unintentional clicking and it's especially bad on an 10" tablet. When I selected a card with my fingers I activated the end actions button with the knuckles of my pinkie as it's too close to the cards area.
The coloring adds to that. It's like on those cookie pages where the green button yells at you to accept all cookies while the settings button is small in b/w and you have to make an effort to select it.
I don't care much for the enlarged log and the different chat.

blamelewis

Post game chat seems to be gone entirely now?
I also have had a few accidental clicks of "end buys" in its new position which is very frustrating.

Ingix

Post game chat seems to be gone on Safari only (from other reports), this is being worked on.

AdamH

I've noticed some cosmetic changes today that have inexplicably brought the "end buys" button even closer to the play area.

I'm curious to know who thinks this is a good idea. Does anyone out there really think this is good? The end actions and end buys buttons should be put as far away as possible from everything else, especially buttons you commonly want to click, so that they aren't accidentally clicked.

Why is it being moved closer to things? This just makes everything worse and I don't see any argument for doing this. Please put them back where they were!

JW

Just wanted to chime in that the placement of "end actions" and "end buys" has been worsened substantially. Please move them out of the way!

Ingix

The counter-argument is that you need to move your mouse substantially each time you needed to press that button before.

I'm still thinking that the colorization of the buttons and their rounded form should make it immedeiately obvious what they are.

SkyHard

Quote from: AdamH on 20 July 2020, 11:27:07 PM
I've noticed some cosmetic changes today that have inexplicably brought the "end buys" button even closer to the play area.

Since there has not been an anouncement, I hope that it is still a WiP. Otherwise, my question: what is "nd actio"?

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 21 July 2020, 08:02:41 AM
The counter-argument is that you need to move your mouse substantially each time you needed to press that button before.

I'm still thinking that the colorization of the buttons and their rounded form should make it immedeiately obvious what they are.

Honest question, do you ever actually just play games using the software? Like, where you're trying to win or just having fun? This post makes it sounds like you haven't.

Just find me one single user of the software that thinks this button placement is a good idea. A single one. I bet you can't do it. Please listen to the users of your software and revert this change that has not only broken the chat feature for lots of users, but made the software much much much much worse because of the change in these buttons.

Seriously why is anyone defending this?

Ingix

I'm a user of the software, that makes me one user.

And please don't try to belittle me as not playing the game. I don't do it in any form (so I didn't catch the chat problems on mobile), but I use it enough. I won't say I had a problem with the placement of the buttons on the provious versions, but I don't have a problem with this one either.

Whenever something breaks, we get reports. Lot's of them for chat not working after the game on Safari in the first change. Again lot's of them of chat not working on mobile for the recent version. Some are in the forum, most on discord.

We got your report for the button placement, and one reply that chimed in.

Of course I know that not everybody who finds it bad will complain about it, but that is likely true for any preceived problem.

So my view is that the number of people who have a problem with the button placement is likely small.

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 24 July 2020, 09:24:57 AM
I'm a user of the software, that makes me one user.

What I'm saying is that you are a tester first. Look the buttons still do what they say and idk maybe the color does something for you? The color makes it worse for me because it stands out more so when I'm trying to think about other things in the game I naturally will click the different looking thing.

When Goko Salvager first came out, the feature that *the entire community* including Stef raved about was the fact that the "end turn" button was moved way out of the way to prevent misclicks. I guess I assumed that was why in the initial design of the software it was placed far away from other buttons.

So as a user of the software I have spent YEARS with the button close and YEARS with the button far away and I know there is a HUGE difference in the quality of the software based on the position of this button. You can look at it as me trying to belittle your experience but man I doubt you have more experience on this particular thing than I do.

And as a tester I would think you would want feedback from the users of your software before making a UI change. First of all, there have been two replies in a short time agreeing with me, not one. But my point is that why can't you do a simple poll in the Dominion discord or whatever asking people what they prefer? I guess it might be more useful before time is spent making the change but what do I know about software?

If you think I'm wrong about this, you can convince me by showing me evidence that I am. If you actually gathered opinions from the users of your software and it showed they liked the new button or even were mostly divided or indifferent then sure I'd be done here and I'd stop pushing. Getting defensive about it is not going to convince me.

What would convince you? Shuffleit has had the problem since its inception of not really caring what a majority of its users think about how they use their software and it's really showing here. Are you going to continue not to care?