Re: Subscription pricing & structure

Previous topic - Next topic

werothegreat

Quote from: Stef on 15 December 2016, 01:59:01 PM
You can play with the Base Set for free (2nd Edition).
If you have a subscription, you will be able to invite others to play with those cards; also when they don't have a subscription.

This is great news.

Whizkid

Right before Example, you have this:
QuoteYou are paying €0.005 per weight per day when buying Gold, €0.007 per weight per day when buying Silver.

This has Gold being less expensive than Silver, which I hope is just a typo.

Please confirm.

Stef

Quote from: Whizkid on 15 December 2016, 05:29:58 PM
Right before Example, you have this:
QuoteYou are paying €0.005 per weight per day when buying Gold, €0.007 per weight per day when buying Silver.

This has Gold being less expensive than Silver, which I hope is just a typo.

Please confirm.
Gold: €0.005 per weight per day * 20 weight = €0.10 per day
Silver: €0.007 per weight per day * 10 weight = €0.07 per day

So gold is indeed cheaper per item, but you buy more items.

scottc

Are the coins we have at MF good for anything?  I have 168 coins which I can't use because they stopped selling expansions sometime before I started playing again.

Philip

Quote from: scottc on 15 December 2016, 06:46:35 PM
Are the coins we have at MF good for anything?  I have 168 coins which I can't use because they stopped selling expansions sometime before I started playing again.

You can't spend MF currency with us, but they have other products, maybe you can do something with it there.

Psyduck

Shouldn't the first ten days be worth 10 * 10 = 100 weight-days? Or am I mixing sth. up here?

Edit: I realized I looked at it from a wrong perspective. Your example is correct.

In any case, I like your license model and also appreciate that you publish the calculation details here.

Linda B

Because I owned sets on MF, I have partial sets here, and I do understand the principle used to calculate the amount I'd need to pay to get the full set. But I have not found a way to find what a year's subscription would cost for a newcomer at Silver and Gold levels. I understand the final amount varies depending on what country you are in, and would be satisfied if you could just post an answer that lays out the base amounts. Are Silver and Gold only available in 50-day increments? Are there price breaks for longer times?

I haven't decided whether to invest (i.e. "trust") in this new online version or not. On my limited fixed income, a new recurring charge is tough but I understand (and have owned my own) business so I get that you have to make a profit. I just need to be able to look at how much it is going to cost me over the longer haul.

Thanks in advance for all help.

JW

Quote from: Linda B on 01 January 2017, 02:01:51 AM
Because I owned sets on MF, I have partial sets here, and I do understand the principle used to calculate the amount I'd need to pay to get the full set. But I have not found a way to find what a year's subscription would cost for a newcomer at Silver and Gold levels. I understand the final amount varies depending on what country you are in, and would be satisfied if you could just post an answer that lays out the base amounts. Are Silver and Gold only available in 50-day increments? Are there price breaks for longer times?

I haven't decided whether to invest (i.e. "trust") in this new online version or not. On my limited fixed income, a new recurring charge is tough but I understand (and have owned my own) business so I get that you have to make a profit. I just need to be able to look at how much it is going to cost me over the longer haul.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Try selecting the option to subscribe through December 31, 2017. Then add a month and see how much that increases the price. That's the amount you'll pay per month after your partial subscription is up.

That is - on the screen where you can select Gold for the rest of the year, instead select through January 31, 2018. It will show a price tag. Compare that to the price for Gold through December 31, 2017. That difference is the per month price.

schnort

What happened to the non-subscription option MF users were going to be offered?  (offline only vs. bots, no reoccurring charges, our purchase moved over)

Linda B

Quote from: JW on 01 January 2017, 02:10:55 AM
Try selecting the option to subscribe through December 31, 2017. Then add a month and see how much that increases the price. That's the amount you'll pay per month after your partial subscription is up.

It doesn't offer me the option to add a month after selecting Gold for the rest of this year. It sends me straight to the "Cancel or Proceed To Payment" screen with nowhere offering me any chance to "continue shopping".

JW

Quote from: Linda B on 01 January 2017, 02:35:40 AM
Quote from: JW on 01 January 2017, 02:10:55 AM

It doesn't offer me the option to add a month after selecting Gold for the rest of this year. It sends me straight to the "Cancel or Proceed To Payment" screen with nowhere offering me any chance to "continue shopping".

On the screen where you can select Gold for the rest of the year, instead select through January 31, 2018. It will show a price tag. Compare that to the price for Gold through December 31, 2017. That difference is the per month price (for a long month - it's charged per day).

I seem to recall that a gold subscription for all of 2017 is about U.S. $37. 

CoWm4n

Quote from: schnort on 01 January 2017, 02:32:33 AM
What happened to the non-subscription option MF users were going to be offered?  (offline only vs. bots, no reoccurring charges, our purchase moved over)

Same question from my side.

And a happy new year to all of you!

JW

The developers have said that the offline only mode is in progress and should be available later in 2017, at which point presumably you can transfer your purchases over.

Linda B

Quote from: JW on 01 January 2017, 02:43:28 AM
On the screen where you can select Gold for the rest of the year, instead select through January 31, 2018. It will show a price tag. Compare that to the price for Gold through December 31, 2017. That difference is the per month price.
Thanks. That gives Euro 36.44 and USD 38.35 (at the moment) for a year of , and Euro 14.63 for Silver, USD 15.40. Does that sound about right?

Linda B

Quote from: JW on 01 January 2017, 09:53:24 AM
The developers have said that the offline only mode is in progress and should be available later in 2017, at which point presumably you can transfer your purchases over.
Thanks for this answer, too -- I was wondering as well.

Followup questions though:

(1) Do we get a choice of one or the other or do those of us who had bought items on MF get both the compensating sub we have now AND free play offline (forever?).

(2) If the first (we only get one or the other) does using the online version now make it so we won't be able to choose the offline version?

jdcw

Yes, sounds about what I paid for a full subscription, no credits.

Philip

Quote from: Linda B on 01 January 2017, 02:48:48 PM
Quote from: JW on 01 January 2017, 09:53:24 AM
Thanks for this answer, too -- I was wondering as well.

Followup questions though:

(1) Do we get a choice of one or the other or do those of us who had bought items on MF get both the compensating sub we have now AND free play offline (forever?).

(2) If the first (we only get one or the other) does using the online version now make it so we won't be able to choose the offline version?

It's the first, and using the online version now doesn't mean you can't choose later.

AdamH

I bought everything on Making Fun. The way it sounded, I thought I was going to get all of the cards on this version for a year, but it turns out I'm going to get everything except for Empires because I didn't own Empires on Making Fun. It's asking me to pay 6 Euros to get Empires for the year.

I don't mind paying for a quality product, but like, I'm not getting Stash or Inheritance right now and this thing isn't fully implemented yet -- lots of information that is crucial for playing with all of the cards isn't being displayed right now, the user interface needs a lot of work, I could go on. Whatever, I can mostly play with it, but calling it a quality product is a stretch right now. It is much, much worse than Making Fun.

I was really hoping I'd get to play with everything for a while without paying, and then this thing would be finished by the time I had to pay for it. Like, I'd much rather have 6 months of everything then start paying then over having everything but Empires for a year. I'm sure that trade would work out better for you according to that math which I am not going to get into.

I realize you're doing this to be nice and you don't owe anyone anything, and you're giving out free stuff to keep people happy. I'm telling you what would make me happy and why (6 months of everything instead of 12 months of everything minus Empires) so maybe you'll do that? If not, umm, I'm not sure what I'll do. I haven't thought about it.

I have to imagine a lot of other people would feel the same as me also.

thewagon

Hi and good luck to Shuffle iT with everything. :)

I'm one of those that had existing purchases of everything on MF, and I am intending to choose the Offline version when that finally becomes available.

I would also like to play with the Empires set, which - as discussed in the above posts - I can "upgrade" to now, in the existing Online version.

But I would like to know what will happen to my Empires purchase, once I switch over to Offline :-

1. Will I automatically receive an Offline version of Empires?

2. Or will I have to repurchase Empires for the Offline version?

If it is the second option, is there any estimate to the pricing you would charge at that point?

AdamH

Quote from: AdamH on 02 January 2017, 04:45:28 AM
I bought everything on Making Fun. The way it sounded, I thought I was going to get all of the cards on this version for a year, but it turns out I'm going to get everything except for Empires because I didn't own Empires on Making Fun. It's asking me to pay 6 Euros to get Empires for the year.

I don't mind paying for a quality product, but like, I'm not getting Stash or Inheritance right now and this thing isn't fully implemented yet -- lots of information that is crucial for playing with all of the cards isn't being displayed right now, the user interface needs a lot of work, I could go on. Whatever, I can mostly play with it, but calling it a quality product is a stretch right now. It is much, much worse than Making Fun.

I was really hoping I'd get to play with everything for a while without paying, and then this thing would be finished by the time I had to pay for it. Like, I'd much rather have 6 months of everything then start paying then over having everything but Empires for a year. I'm sure that trade would work out better for you according to that math which I am not going to get into.

I realize you're doing this to be nice and you don't owe anyone anything, and you're giving out free stuff to keep people happy. I'm telling you what would make me happy and why (6 months of everything instead of 12 months of everything minus Empires) so maybe you'll do that? If not, umm, I'm not sure what I'll do. I haven't thought about it.

No response?

Stanann

I am not an online player, but I loved single player dominion and am extremely disappointed that it has disappeared.  Why not let making fun continue to provide the single player option until 'sometime later in 2017' when the new company gets it ready?  Feeling pretty unhappy with this 'transition' that isn't transitioning anything if you just play the single player game!

tufftaeh

Quote from: AdamH on 03 January 2017, 07:27:23 PM

No response?

You can have on from me. :)
The price model you suggest might have been a good idea but I guess it is too late to change that now. Imagine the uproar if you take away half a year of Gold (minus Empires) from everybody who had all sets on MF... And if Shuffle iT offered the option to choose between the two price models, they would have to put some effort into this which they might rather want to put into the client. I'm afraid that not too many would choose your model anyway. I might be wrong but I, personally, prefer the existing price model. I want to play with Empires from now on, too, and I prefer to pay for one year of Empires (which I couldn't have at MF) over paying for half a year of everything. Ah, yes, and I can live without Stash and Inheritance for some more time easily, as well as with the few real problems that the new client still has (naming cards, Journey token, trash view, challenging specific players, ...). I like the new client with discard confirmation, autobuy and undo much better than the MF client already - tastes are different, as it seems.

tufftaeh

Quote from: Stanann on 03 January 2017, 07:28:31 PM
I am not an online player, but I loved single player dominion and am extremely disappointed that it has disappeared.  Why not let making fun continue to provide the single player option until 'sometime later in 2017' when the new company gets it ready?  Feeling pretty unhappy with this 'transition' that isn't transitioning anything if you just play the single player game!

I guess you are referring to the campaign mode? If not, you can already play against 1 to 5 bots (or solo without opoonents but that's probably not what you mean). Campaigns are planned for later this year.

Stef

Quote from: AdamH on 03 January 2017, 07:27:23 PM

No response?

Sorry, but no. We really try to keep the subscriptions as straight forward as possible.
Spending the time on coding this and the extra confusion it would cause others presented with the choice is not worth saving you the $3-ish. Or you could just play with everything up to Adventures.

AdamH

dance

I now got my invitation Mail for ASchmidtMail@gmx.de an my name was ladanza. But I didnt get any cards set or so like promised?? Why not? At the former dominion I had all sets as abo? whats going wrong?

LaLight

Quote from: dance on 04 January 2017, 01:08:03 PM
I now got my invitation Mail for ASchmidtMail@gmx.de an my name was ladanza. But I didnt get any cards set or so like promised?? Why not? At the former dominion I had all sets as abo? whats going wrong?

Have you bought all sets, or did you have a subscription on Making Fun?

Philip

Quote from: thewagon on 02 January 2017, 01:17:48 PM
Hi and good luck to Shuffle iT with everything. :)

I'm one of those that had existing purchases of everything on MF, and I am intending to choose the Offline version when that finally becomes available.

I would also like to play with the Empires set, which - as discussed in the above posts - I can "upgrade" to now, in the existing Online version.

But I would like to know what will happen to my Empires purchase, once I switch over to Offline :-

1. Will I automatically receive an Offline version of Empires?

2. Or will I have to repurchase Empires for the Offline version?

If it is the second option, is there any estimate to the pricing you would charge at that point?

It's 2. I can't give you an estimate for the offline pricing yet.

Philip

Quote from: dance on 04 January 2017, 01:08:03 PM

The deal is only for people who purchased expansions at Making Fun, not the subscription.

Cave-O-Sapien

This model makes a lot of sense!

How did you manage to come up with such a thing without a VP of Monetization?

Bbl

So, with Nocturne going live and no plans for an offline version in sight: What happens to the legacy MF purchases after December 31st? Will they expire completely? Will matches against bots still be possible with the purchased sets?

Nirol the Wise

I would also like to know what happens with us legacy MF players after December 31st.

brigand13

Add another player to the list of those wanting to know what will be done for those of us who have been WAITING PATIENTLY for the offline version that was promised a YEAR ago and which Shuffle iT just seems to be trying to sweep under the rug.  This is NOT good customer service!!! 

I feel like Shuffle iT are just trying to sell subscriptions and don't really care about those of us that aren't interested in them.  If we won't consent to continually paying you, then we don't count.  This makes me feel that I totally wasted my money on the previous version of the game (which I still think was WAY better for solo play).  This makes me VERY, VERY reluctant to give you any MORE of my money. 

tufftaeh

Have you actually given Shuffle iT any money? If yes, I assume, only for adding Empires and maybe Nocturne to your free subscription? In that case, so far you have gotten one free year of online play with all previous sets. I certainly understand that you would like to get an offline version (which has not been available with Goko or MF) for free as well, but in your situation I would rather hope that the company which is to build this freebie for you does rather well. Somehow, it seems quite natural to me that paying customers are more important to a provider than those only wanting free gifts, so the focus on improving the online play first might be understandable. Luckily for everyone waiting for an online client, Stef has said that an improved AI is quite high on the list of priorities, and that is the #1 precondition for an offline version. Of course, the development of a secure stand-alone version of the server code is not a trivial task either.

bananny

I am also still not very happy with how this has turned out.  Yes, I am happy the game is still available, yes I freaking LOVE this game!  However, I dished out money with MF as well, thinking I was set like other games I've purchased through Steam or Google Play.  Once you buy them, they're yours.  I was extremely upset when MF was dumped and we were switched to a new provider and told we'd have to start paying a subscription for something I already paid for.

Yes, I got a free year.  That year is now coming to an end.  While I appreciate it, this doesn't change the fact that I already paid for the expansions and I'm being asked to pay more.  The anger has passed.  I'm just really disappointed.

I too have been waiting for an offline version.  I only play bots anyway, so this would be perfect for me.  I'm happy to pay to add additional expansions as they're released, just like Catan on Google Play (which I've owned for years and haven't been asked for another cent!), and maybe something REASONABLE for the software itself with a GUARANTEE to keep it without being hassled for more money.  If anybody reading this has some black market hacked offline version that's functional, for the love of god please hit me up!

I think making those of us that bought expansions with MF for a subscription to something we already paid for isn't right.  But you have the power and you know it, so you're using it.  Money makes the world go around and sadly, people get greedy and take advantage of others.  I will sadly probably pay you because I LOVE THIS GAME!  Just know that I really, really hate this and think it sucks.

Jacob Marley

We've been through this many times already, but I'll go ahead and say it again.  SHuffleIt is a DIFFERENT product than Goko/MF.  Yes, they are based on the same physical game, but legally what ShuffleIt offers is not what you paid for.  Basically, there are two alternatives here.  One, Goko/MF could just have gone away and left nothing at all for on-line play, or two, RGG could give the license to another company so that there would be online dominion.  Jay chose the latter, and I'm glad he did.  However it may feel to you, ShuffleIt doesn't owe you anything. IF you don't want to pay, fine, that's your choice, and you can always play the base set and promos for free, but going on the forum of the company that makes the game and asking for a pirated version is pretty brazenly trollish behavior.

Stef

Quote from: bananny on 15 December 2017, 04:30:05 AM
I am also still not very happy with how this has turned out....

The surprising thing to me is that you seem to be pissed at me providing you the free year, instead of the people that took your money based on a lie. In what universe am I the one trying to hassle you? What do you think I could have done differently? (and please don't come up with solutions that require a time machine)

JunkDealer

Quote from: Stef on 15 December 2017, 10:17:31 AM
What do you think I could have done differently? (and please don't come up with solutions that require a time machine)

I've said this multiple times.  Provide updates.  Communicate.  Etc...
Perhaps I'm recalling things poorly here, but I thought the deal offered was either 1 year of online subscription or an offline client.  Then it was changed to you'll get the subscription for up to a year, and then when the offline client was ready switch to it instead of completing the subscription.  Now the year is up and people who were hoping for the offline client are saying.... What happens now?  So tell us... what is happening with the offline client.  Is it still coming?  Will those who had purchased it from MF still be able to get those from the Offline client?

Unfortunately, whether it was your intention or not people thought the offline client was going to be available in January.  When it wasn't they thought early in the year.  Repeat.  Now that the year is over I don't think it's unreasonable that people want to know what happens next.  There was an assumption made (perhaps a poor one) that the offline client would be available before the subscription expired.  All of this could have been mitigated with clear communication.  Instead of waiting for people to ask "Where's the offline client?" "What happens now that my subscription is expiring?"  Etc... If a clear statement were made it would be something you could point to, instead of fighting these fires that keep popping up.

The other thing that seems to have happened (whether reality or not) is that it was understood that the offering of an offline client/year subscription choice was part of the contract agreement you signed with Donald X. and Rio Grande Games to get the contract in the first place.

Anyhow,  Thank you for the free year.  I have topped up my subscription several times.  I look forward to hearing any offical news and would encourage you to continue working on being as transparent on what you are working on and providing rough timelines and updates as you can.  I think you'll find that people are understanding when you provide updates that indicate things like "Offline Client forecast for Fall 2017"  "Offline Client bumped to Spring 2018 due to shifting priorities of new expansion"  "Offline client bumped to Fall 2018 due to complexity of framework" etc.. etc..  These updates indicate that it hasn't been forgotten.  Otherwise people will fill in the blanks with their own theories.

Again thanks for the hard work.  Keep aiming for greatness.

Linda B

Given that we were told that there would be an offline version if we waited, and that happy players bring you more paying players, it seems that providing updated information to those who had an investment in MF's product, and stayed through the transition on your word that there would be an offline version, would be wise.

Will you please tell us what the plans are? 

Melawe

I am also waiting eagerly for the offline version and would like to know where we're at, considering the courtesy subscription has now ended.

lordnarutard

Hi, would I be able to purchase a subscription for a single set of cards? The sets I normally play with are the ones in the Silver subscription and Alchemy and I don't wanna pay for the full upgrade to gold if I'm only using the one extra set.

Ingix

At the moment this is not possible. The only options are buying Silver or Gold subscriptions.

Nirol the Wise

When it was announced that Shuffle iT was taking over the Dominion online license, I read it as Donald X./ RGG was revoking/ choosing not to renew MF's license so that Shuffle iT could pursue their implementation. If that's the case I feel that there is an obligation to those of us who had purchased the game from MF to honor that purchase. If my reading was incorrect and MF was the one who made the decision to drop Dominion (and given the unfinished state of the current implementation at launch that maybe makes more sense?) I guess maybe I don't really have as much reason to be pissed off.

As much as I love the game, I don't think It's worth $50 a year. I guess my physical cards are going to get some action again.

Jacob Marley

RGG did not drop MF in order to give the license to ShuffleIt.  RGG dropped MF because the contract with, and performance of, MF was not satisfactory to RGG.  ShuffleIt won the license based on a prototype build they submitted after the decision to drop MF was made.  So, ShuffleIt really does not have any obligation to MF customers, but gave a free year anyway.

Melawe

If this is the announcement you're talking about:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15162

then the promise sort of implies an obligation, though part of that obligation involved an end-user choice. When one option wasn't available, the other option was given as a tide-over.

http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1197.msg2318#msg2318

Anyways, I am looking forward to an offline version since my lifestyle makes playing with real people mostly non-viable. Most of the time, I either 1) don't have time to wait for actual people to play (a bot game goes a lot more quickly than a people game), or 2) need to occasionally wander away from my keyboard for a while (which would bother people but not bots). When the time comes, I would like to get some of the stuff that's newer than anything I had on MF's version. I would just like an update on when that time might come.

Linda B

Note that there is a reply to some of the concerns in THIS topic in another topic called "feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users" -- and that that topic has a time-sensitive offer in it.

jaundice

Hi,

I didn't see the other thread offering an extension until after it was locked. But for what it's worth:

1. I will not ever pay a monthly subscription fee to pay this game. And honestly playing on the base set is boring for me and the group I play with, so I'm unlikely to play online at all. I was happy to pay ~$60 as a one time fee, and to pay extra as new expansions came out, and disappointed that lifetime fee expired.

2. The only need I have for the game is decent online play with friends. I don't care about art / animations, or offline, or bots, or anything else. Honestly the current version doesn't work as well for me as the old goko version, which worked less well than the isotropic version. There's an issue where cards at the bottom get cut off for me, but it's workable.

Anyway, if the subscription model changes, I would consider paying again although I probably wouldn't buy all expansions since I've already paid once. I'm not sure if that feedback is relevant or not, but I thought I'd share just in case. I'm username jaundice in the game.

AdamH

This post does not reflect the current pricing (with Nocturne I think): http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=708.0

The post says that Gold subscriptions cost 3.10 Euros and the client correctly says it's 3.45

AdamH

So I guess everyone is ok with this post just being wrong?

You know I don't just come here to complain. Someone just told me about a bad experience they had where they read that post, then had a nasty surprise when the client asked for more money with no explanation, and I thought maybe someone back there cared about potential new users enough to take ten seconds and change two numbers.

I guess I shouldn't have been so stupid.

Ingix

No, it's a good point you made. Also, I think it is always a good idea to mention when some post is caused by such an experience you (or someone else) had. I know that in theory it shouldn't matter, but in practice I think it does.

I added a new post to that thread, with current € values. If someone can give me the actual $ values used, I'll add them as well (I prefer to use the actual values used by the service, if possible, instead of exchange rates that may miss some fees).

AdamH

Thanks for updating.

Quote from: Ingix on 08 July 2018, 08:49:18 PM
I think it is always a good idea to mention when some post is caused by such an experience you (or someone else) had.

I agree with this. I used to say this when I posted back in the day but people would accuse me of making up people and stories so I could push features I wanted. So I gave up

dane

Quote from: Ingix on 08 July 2018, 08:49:18 PM
I added a new post to that thread, with current € values. If someone can give me the actual $ values used, I'll add them as well (I prefer to use the actual values used by the service, if possible, instead of exchange rates that may miss some fees).
I thought euros were indeed the currency in which subscriptions were priced, i.e. the prices in any other currency are variable, dependent on current exchange rates.

Ingix

Yes, I assume any additional fees would come from the exact payment method chosen and can't be generalized. I'll add the US$ values based on EUR:USD = 1.20 which seems reasonable value for the last year.

KXJ@MSU.EDU

Hello, I'm trying to subscribe but I just get a screen saying I'm being redirected and then nothing happens. Help! Thanks, KXJ

Ingix

Hi KXJ@MSU.EDU,

sorry for the late reply, I was away over the weekend.

Does the problem still persist for you (I just was successfully redicteted to the payment provider)? Sometimes/rarely there are problems of the kind you described, but they are usually shortlived. If they still exist for you, what country are you in?