Undo choice

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyHard

I admit that I hate the undo feature and this for four reasons:
- I am not used to undo things: life does not have an undo function
- It kills the flow of the game
- I am not shown how many steps are to be undone
- Is it too much to ask to be careful while clicking? I played about 30 games here and never had the need to undo.

Mostly for these reasons I never accept an undo request. Furthermore, constantly having to justify why I refuse is cumbersome.

If you must have this feature, please add at least the option to choose if undo is allowed and an auto decline.

jsh

Undo is one of those things you don't think you need until the day you make a horrible misclick that ruins your game entirely. I agree the interface could be improved, but I think it's a valuable feature.

yed

It will be better for you once "Undo until new info revealed" is not necessary to confirm by opponent.

Davio

Undo is fantastic.

It doesn't hinder me when I don't need it, but when I do, I'm sooo glad it's there.

SkyHard

Quote from: Davio on 09 January 2017, 03:46:50 PM
Undo is fantastic.

It doesn't hinder me when I don't need it, but when I do, I'm sooo glad it's there.

Except if you opponent is using it a lot.

That should really help though:
Quote from: yed on 09 January 2017, 03:14:48 PM
It will be better for you once "Undo until new info revealed" is not necessary to confirm by opponent.

Davio

Well, I don't want my opponent to lose by misclicking if it can be avoided.

LastFootnote

In general I would prefer if the undo button didn't exist. Gosh wouldn't it have been nice if the devs had used that time to implement stuff that was actually important? Like say, being able to "name" cards you can't see, or being able to see your Journey token, or being able to actually read what's in the trash, or moving Tavern mat/duration interactions from the log to a dialog?

That being said, it sure is nice to have the undo function when, for instance, I buy a card without realizing my opponent played a Haunted Woods because THERE'S NO UI INDICATION THAT BUYING A CARD WILL HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT.

jsh

Jesus, guys. Have some empathy. Are you seriously this cruel to people on a daily basis? Sometimes people misclick. I'm sure you've done it yourself. Why should it ruin their game? The undo is optional and you can even deny it from them. If you don't like it, just don't let them do it. (And don't expect them to let you)

allanfieldhouse

Quote from: yed on 09 January 2017, 03:14:48 PM

This should be the default undo setting. This is how I assume most people play in real life. If you just clicked the wrong thing and want to switch the action order around, no big deal. If you played a Smithy and drew 3 dead actions, no you can't undo.

Snowdrop

I love the undo button, as well as the confirmation to trash or discard.

The undo came in handy for me when I clicked the option to play all coins intending to buy a grand market. Of course, with MF, they automatically excluded the coppers (so smart!!) but here they did not ... I had incorrectly assumed this interface would not lose any good features ... so that was extremely helpful and I'm sure that's something I'll forget in the future again.

Also, misclicks happen.

ffejselur

I love the undo feature too! The only thing still slightly buggy about it is when you end your turn mistakenly and the bots charge on ahead -- I've seen other posts about incidences of undo hanging in this situation and it just happened to me, hanging on "Waiting for Lord Rattington". But I'm guessing it's much harder technically to undo across turns than it is within a turn. Still, great feature.

randomjoyz

I am really glad that there is an undo, esp since this is a new client and we are all learning to use it. However I have one problem and suggestion for it myself:

situation: I make a small mishap and want to undo but the other player refuses. It becomes back and forth request decline request decline etc.

To this you will probably say, "well I don't want you to undo, get over it." But in situations where no new information is given (no cards drawn, no interactions with the other player etc) I don't think it should be the other players business if I undo or not because it does not affect them and you are not getting any special information.
So I think "innocent undo"s should be request free and done seamlessly as a normal part of play. Then other undos where you draw cards or get a reaction from the other player etc would still send a request. This is better for everyone (Less tedious for the receiver of the requests. As a bonus, when they DO get a request they know that they might actually have a reason to say no.) (The one requesting the undo doesn't get that annoying feeling that the other guy is just an asshole out to make their life harder for no apparent reason when small mishaps are made)

The only real issue I could foresee with this suggestion is that the other player might get annoyed seeing the cards get played then retracted. You could get around this by only displaying moves to the opposing player up to the point where you could not automatically undo anymore, then some moves would show up instantaneously when the player draws a card or requests your input.

yed

Quote from: randomjoyz on 10 January 2017, 03:51:04 PM
I am really glad that there is an undo, esp since this is a new client and we are all learning to use it. However I have one problem and suggestion for it myself:

situation: I make a small mishap and want to undo but the other player refuses. It becomes back and forth request decline request decline etc.

To this you will probably say, "well I don't want you to undo, get over it." But in situations where no new information is given (no cards drawn, no interactions with the other player etc) I don't think it should be the other players business if I undo or not because it does not affect them and you are not getting any special information.
So I think "innocent undo"s should be request free and done seamlessly as a normal part of play. Then other undos where you draw cards or get a reaction from the other player etc would still send a request. This is better for everyone (Less tedious for the receiver of the requests. As a bonus, when they DO get a request they know that they might actually have a reason to say no.) (The one requesting the undo doesn't get that annoying feeling that the other guy is just an asshole out to make their life harder for no apparent reason when small mishaps are made)
I think, that Stef already promised that, but it won't be soon:
Quote from: Stef on 29 December 2016, 06:58:04 PM
* We started working on undo settings.
  - on some future day there will be 5 settings: NEVER, ASK, ALWAYS, ONLY_WITHOUT_NEW_INFO, ASK_WITH_NEW_INFO
  - in todays release, all games are with the setting "ASK"
  - in tomorrows release you will be able to choose between "NEVER", "ASK" and "ALWAYS"

Joseph2302

Everyone makes mistakes, so the undo button is handy. Things like thinking you're clicking no to a Tavern mat card, but actually ending all your actions (which I did the other day).