getting 80% base set cards

Previous topic - Next topic

ehunt

I just bought all expansions, but every board (approximately five) I have played since has had 8 or 9 out of 10 cards from the base set. This can't be a coincidence. I tried clicking "familiar with all kingdoms" but this did not solve the problem.

Watno

How are you getting your matches? Quick match can give you any opponent and will respect their familiar cards.

If you use Good Match, you will only be matched with people who are familiar with most of the cards you are familiar with.

ehunt

Got it! I just got the problem fixed. I don't like that the default is familiar = base.

ehunt

seriously, though, this outcome is extremely objectionable: for the first time in my life, I've paid to play with all cards. The automatching system should cause me to play with the cards I want to play with. If I automatch against people who haven't played before and only want to play with base cards, this should be their problem, not mine.

CheshireSwift

Excuse me ehunt; it may not be my place to say, but as far as I can tell this conversation has gone as follows:

• You have a desire for certain functionality as a user (being matched and having all your cards available). The option you are selecting does not have this behaviour.
    • You have been informed why this is happening (quick match finds users as quickly as possible, respecting their familiar cards) and presented a solution (good match, which finds people with your sets).
    • You are complaining that other people's wishes re: cards should be ignored so that you can continue to use a particular option, which would render the entire feature of familiar cards pointless and be detrimental to the play experience of others, despite functionality that matches your wishes already existing.

I would not normally be so forward, but this doesn't seem very reasonable.

yed

I usually use Good Match. But I am also sometimes missing quicker Good Match = "Ignore my rating, but respect my familiar cards so I don't play with Base."
Fortunately (if I remember correctly) Stef already promised configurable Good Match, which will allow this. I can't find the post now.

ehunt

Quote from: CheshireSwift on 10 January 2017, 04:07:50 PM
    Excuse me ehunt; it may not be my place to say, but as far as I can tell this conversation has gone as follows:

• You have a desire for certain functionality as a user (being matched and having all your cards available). The option you are selecting does not have this behaviour.
    • You have been informed why this is happening (quick match finds users as quickly as possible, respecting their familiar cards) and presented a solution (good match, which finds people with your sets).
    • You are complaining that other people's wishes re: cards should be ignored so that you can continue to use a particular option, which would render the entire feature of familiar cards pointless and be detrimental to the play experience of others, despite functionality that matches your wishes already existing.

I would not normally be so forward, but this doesn't seem very reasonable.
I came back to this thread because I'm stuck in yet another base slog.

Functionality that matches my wishes does not currently exist, since "good match" only results in a game about 50% of the time. If it did exist, I wouldn't be asking.

Anyway, the implementation is already better than the previous one, and I apologize for my rather blunt tone.[/list]

ffejselur

2 questions: I just started a New Table planning to play 2 bots from a chosen set of expansions (I have all, but have been playing lots of matches focused on Empires and Adventures and using 4 Events/Landmarks to help me learn the cards). I have all cards marked as familiar. Before I could finish choosing my Kingdom Cards someone joined the table and clicked Ready, then another person did the same. Thinking that since I was listed as the host I'd get a game with all cards I went ahead and clicked Ready starting the game. The last player to join didn't appear (Lord Rat did), so after a couple turns that player left. Log excerpt:
fiordos joined the table.
tagesvater126 joined the table.
Joining game #237233 on oregon.
tagesvater126 left the table.
fiordos left the table. (after the game ended - my add)

1. Why this timing issue and how do I prevent it in the future?
2. Why did I end up in an all base set game?

Here's an idea I'll throw out: until how exactly to implement familiar cards is worked out, why not flip it and default to all cards being familiar? In fact, why not flip the term "familiar cards" to "unfamiliar cards" entirely, and let those who want to restrict their card exposure choose to do so without hindering so many other games?

mark1878

Quote from: ffejselur on 10 January 2017, 10:05:05 PM

Here's an idea I'll throw out: until how exactly to implement familiar cards is worked out, why not flip it and default to all cards being familiar? In fact, why not flip the term "familiar cards" to "unfamiliar cards" entirely, and let those who want to restrict their card exposure choose to do so without hindering so many other games?

I would suggest this is poor for most people who start from base and then making all sets familiar will give trhen a lot of cards.

OK if you have all the sets this is not what you want but for those having only some sets adding too many of the new stuff is too complkex -= especially as they add new interactions e.g. events, ruins, durations etc

I think the current default is correct

MVoltaire

Quote from: ffejselur on 10 January 2017, 10:05:05 PM
2 questions: I just started a New Table planning to play 2 bots from a chosen set of expansions (I have all, but have been playing lots of matches focused on Empires and Adventures and using 4 Events/Landmarks to help me learn the cards). I have all cards marked as familiar. Before I could finish choosing my Kingdom Cards someone joined the table and clicked Ready, then another person did the same. Thinking that since I was listed as the host I'd get a game with all cards I went ahead and clicked Ready starting the game. The last player to join didn't appear (Lord Rat did), so after a couple turns that player left. Log excerpt:
fiordos joined the table.
tagesvater126 joined the table.
Joining game #237233 on oregon.
tagesvater126 left the table.
fiordos left the table. (after the game ended - my add)

1. Why this timing issue and how do I prevent it in the future?
2. Why did I end up in an all base set game?

You can uncheck "Respect familiar cards" in the advanced settings of your table, I think.

Also I am against marking all cards as familiar as default. ;-)
Especially, if you haven't bought any expansions, it should not be the default that you know all the cards anyway.
I think, this problem will be solved in future releases in another way when Matching options are improved etc.