Bigger Victory Point Counter

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbl

The Victory Point Counter is really hard to read in the current implementation. I know, that some people do not like this counter at all, but when you enable it, it should be really easy to read, as it is one of the most important information on the screen. In terms of font it should have at least the size of the text in the Action / Buy / Coin display in the middle of the screen.

For instance, I really do not understand, why the Victory Chip Point Counter is so much bigger than the display of the total amount of Victory Points. I am not interested in knowing that I gained 20 VP with Monument, but it is far more relevant to me that my current score is 13 VP, as a I gained all curses. With Empires and Landmarks this topic becomes even more important.

On Touch Device there is also a scaling problem with the Victory Points: While the Log stays always at a readable scale, the VP counter shrinks to tiny sizes, when you try to zoom in.

JunkDealer

I'll add my voice to this one, but I'll also point out that however sizes are being determined is problematic on multiple items.  When I play on my 19" Monitor at 1440 x 900 vs my 36" TV at 1920x1080 the proportional sizes change.  The relative size of the VP counter on the 19" monitor is larger than the proportional size on the 36" TV.  I suspect this has to do with the different aspect ratios, but have not played with them to check this.  My point is that sizes seem to work better for some resolutions compared to others.  If I get some time to play with resolutions and try different ones I'll report back on this thread.

Hope this helps.

JunkDealer

Well it's been a while since my previous post, but here are some of my findings.  I'll also apologize for hijacking a thread initially meant for just the VP counter and summarizing all scaling issues I'm seeing but it seemed better to capture it all in one place rather than multiple similar posts.

==========

With my current resolution and scaling factor on Windows I find I get the best victory point counter size when I have Chrome scale to 67% (yes zooming out makes the name/VP font bigger)

Some other scaling notes:
- Size of cards played, moved, displayed when other actions are made, etc are a bit odd.  They seem to be a factor of the number of players and not the size of the screen.  I just played a 6 player game and some of the cards were huge as seen below.

- Scaling of the name fonts is dependent on the number of characters leading to inconsistent font sizes which makes shorter names feel like they are yelling at you "BAD ADVISOR" as seen in the attached image

- Scaling of fonts in different areas use different factors resulting in some text being relatively huge and others relatively tiny.  The size of the fonts should be relatively similar and should not have such a large discrepancy between them as the size of the screen changes.  I've attached an image showing just the right hand side of the screen so you can see sizes of names vs. logs vs. card text vs. status text.

- Attached you'll also see the final score screen which again has very disproportional font sizes.  In particular the player area has relatively huge text and too much white space.  The score area has relatively tiny text with relatively huge names again.  Again I think all of these fonts should be relatively similar or with only slight variation from one to the next.