Noob getting started -- need friendly, patient friends ;)

Previous topic - Next topic

limbo696

Anybody here willing to put up with a noob?  One of my personality quirks is that I have a terrible, irrational fear of playing online competitive strategy games with live people and I'm also paranoid that people will get upset with me or belittle me for noobish play.  :o

If you're willing to put up with a slower player and willing to provide some friendly advice at the end of the game then I'd like to be your friend and play with you.

My in-game handle is limbo696.

I like to play with the full card set but I'm not familiar with all of the cards so I take extra time at the beginning of the game.  I may need to get clarification on how an unfamiliar card plays.  I own two of the Dominion sets (Base and Seaside) and have about 40 bot games under my belt, so I'm not strictly a noob, but I do play relatively slow and am not very strong.

Thanks.

ffejselur

I can't play right now, but I will be more than happy to befriend and help you in any way I can.

jsh

Martin plays Piano

Hi Limbo,
I like your approach advertising here in the forum for some introduction sessions for newbies to get more familiar with Dominion online. Obviously there is a lack of other possibilities doing this, because the current platform isn't (yet) equipped for requests like that.
On the one hand there is the "Good game" button getting joined with mostly fast and skilled players - which can end up in a nightmare for players being on a learning curve (even if they own several sets). On the other hand the other match buttons might let you stick in the base sets too often or the games are bots-driven, which gives no support for learners.
So for the future lobby I suggest having a new "training corner" for interested newbies to get in contact with more experienced players giving support. Those games should be labeled as "classroom games" to explicitely allow slow turns and open discussions about the kingdom cards.

Limbo, I will put you on my friends list to get in touch with you via the matching tab, in case you are online. I strongly recommend having a skype channel in place for our training sessions, because talking about the game is much smoother than chatting. So if you don't mind my German English (and my German time zone), be my guest.
Perhaps some others are interested as well.

You will find me under user name: Rachmaninoff

tufftaeh

Hi limbo696,
I've added you as friend, too. I'm not sure if that already allows you to see when I'm online - you might need to befriend me as well. And we can do Skype or Discord voice chat if you like that. By the way, I'm German as well, so there are similar effects to expect as with Martin. :)

limbo696

Thanks for the replies all.  I've added friends and I'll be checking out the Discord channel.  I strongly agree that it would be a very nice benefit to have an official feature, like a training room, to help new players in a friendly environment.

santamonica811

Quote from: limbo696 on 11 February 2017, 06:47:13 PM
Thanks for the replies all.  I've added friends and I'll be checking out the Discord channel.  I strongly agree that it would be a very nice benefit to have an official feature, like a training room, to help new players in a friendly environment.

I'd also suggest creating your own decks and playing a bunch of games against Lord Rat (aka, the bot).  It sometimes makes very stupid moves, but so what . . . your goal here is to learn the cards.  And of course, when you play against the bot, he/she does not care if you take a bunch of time to review the cards, he'll grant every "undo" request without complaint  :), and you can play him over and over, and he'll never say, "have to run, time for work"!!!!  ;-)

On the old Making Fun site, there were campaigns, which were a great way to see all the cards, in various combinations.  Here, you'll have to create the decks, which is a tiny bit of extra work.  But you will be able to create exactly the deck, with the specific cards you want to learn, which was not possible at MF in the past.

Fortunately, the learning curve is very steep, so you will learn a lot, very fast.  It only takes a game or two to understand almost every card, although subtle nuances will take much more experience . . . which is the joy of the game, of course.

p.s.  My experience with Rachmaninoff has been very positive.  He's a very advanced player, but also super-nice and friendly.  Aside from him kicking my rear end in pretty much every game, I have no complaints about him.  :-)

SkyHard

Quote from: josh bornstein on 12 February 2017, 12:56:25 AM
On the old Making Fun site, there were campaigns, which were a great way to see all the cards, in various combinations.  Here, you'll have to create the decks, which is a tiny bit of extra work.  But you will be able to create exactly the deck, with the specific cards you want to learn, which was not possible at MF in the past.

If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be a campaign mode later on.