Tables

Previous topic - Next topic

Polliwop

I don't get it.
Why would one be 'Not Ready' at a table with NEW game? I wait and wait and wait...
I just want to play a game... (but not 1v1 so matching isn't an option).

BTW. When I log in and want to play, why do I see so many games that say 'post-game' or 'running'. Please make them optional with a filter or something. I only want to play a game...

Watno

If you just wanna play a game, I'd recommend using "quick match" or "good match" in the matching tab.

JunkDealer

Watno....
Quote from: Polliwop on 10 January 2017, 10:33:15 PM
(but not 1v1 so matching isn't an option).

Polliwop:  This thread may help: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=845.0

Polliwop

Quote from: Watno on 10 January 2017, 11:38:05 PM
If you just wanna play a game, I'd recommend using "quick match" or "good match" in the matching tab.
Please read my post again. It says I am NOT interested in a 1v1 game and that's what Matching currently does.

Polliwop

Quote from: JunkDealer on 11 January 2017, 12:43:28 AM
Watno....
Quote from: Polliwop on 10 January 2017, 10:33:15 PM
(but not 1v1 so matching isn't an option).

Polliwop:  This thread may help: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=845.0
Thank you, but I've already read this thread and I'm sorry to say it doesn't really clear things up for me.

The thing is I want to play a game without making a new table but rather joining an existing one. When I do, there are 2 or 3 or even 4 human players having "Not Ready" behind their names. What are these guys doing and how long do I have to wait to be able to play? No idea and there seems no way to tell. Are they AFK or playing another game in the meantime (not sure if that's possible)? And about the very long list of tables: I am not interested in all the games that are running or have just finished, as I am not looking to become a spectator. Would be nice if there was a filter for this. Thanks again.

Watno

I'm sorry.

There are currently some issues with table creation, some tables may not contain real players (or at least they can't see them).
Until this is fixed (hopefully soon), I'd recommend you found such a table if you get no reaction.

Ingix

The basic problem is simple: If there are not enough players at any time that want to play a certain format (say 3-player games with only human players), the game server cannot match them because they are no such players. The host of such a 3-player game will wait, maybe a minute, maybe more, and then do something else (on his PC/tablet/phone or IRL). If, after some time, some other player joins that table, he will wait for a minute (or more), but the host is not there, so the new player leaves, trying some other table.

The original host will look at his table once in a while, will (in most cases) not see anybody having joined the table (because the interval he checks in is longer than the new player will wait at his table), and continue to to something else.

Meanwhile the "other player" has the same experience a couple of times, and will finally say "I make a table with a 3 player game". After he does this, nobody joins him (lack of players for that format, remember?), and after some time he will do "something else" (because nobody wants to wait excessivly) and the cycle repeats.

The current table situation makes this worse as there are possibly many tables open each for format, but they are not matched against each other. If would possibly be better if you could not only be matched by the game server on 2 player games but on 3 or more player games as well. Then the person who created a table because he wanted the recreate his latest IRL dominion game can do that, and players who simply want to play a 2-3 player game can be matched with him.

ffejselur

More issues with the current setup are timing and table creation. Twice I've created a table wanting to play against 2 bots with a kingdom taken from sets I'm unfamiliar with IRL (esp. Empires) to help me learn the cards when weird things have happened. Once I clicked ready, then I found myself in a base game with one bot and one human opponent who must've joined and clicked ready at the last second so my screen never showed anyone joining the table. I didn't uncheck respect familiar cards when I created the kingdom as I didn't think it would be an issue. Another time after clicking Create Table but before I got to limiting the sets to play with 2 people joined my table and clicked Ready. I was listed as host so I thought I'd be up for a game with all cards and clicked Ready to start the game. The game started with me, 1 player and a bot even though the log clearly showed both players as having joined the table before it said "joining game #...". The excluded player then left the table. I ended up in a base game with 1 player and a bot -- again the not unchecking respect familiar cards is what got me. The entire way the familiar cards idea works still needs fixing -- way too many posts about people getting into unwanted base games. I'm sure Si is aware of this and will get to it in time. Hopefully a more coherent way of table setup (like having rows of Quick Match/Good Match/Bot Match buttons for at least 2 & 3 player games (or more) -- as I have posted about elsewhere) would help solve the timing issues.

gkrieg

I know they are working on a way to remove ghost tables, which should fix much of the issues in this thread.  If there aren't ghost tables, it should be much easier to find people that want to play a 3p game at a table.

tufftaeh

I've read somewhere that this fix will be in the next release within an hour or so.

wargames83

Nope, still no fixes.  >:( The tables section is still a complete mess. There is still no way to filter what table you see by status. Setting up matches with bots should be in the BOT section so I can join tables with hosts that are READY instead of waiting forever for nothing

tufftaeh

Well, the ghost tables have actually been fixed (removed).
When a host clicks [Ready] his game starts so this is not a solution to the problem. You would need an additional button to be clicked after the end of the previous game, e.g. [Waiting for Opponent(s)]. This has been discussed in other threads and something might be added eventually. Stef has said that he is aware that the matchmaking / lobby still needs to improve a lot.