Blacklisting

Previous topic - Next topic

North Woods Wanderer

As there are a variety of trolls that get on Dominion and then see how slow they can play to annoy their opponents, it would be a very nice feature to be able to blacklist other users just like you can friend other people.

Jacob Marley

Second this.  maybe also a switchable option to let your friends see your list.

JunkDealer

Quote from: Jacob Marley on 11 January 2017, 07:32:35 PM

Why not a shared list between friends?  As long as you trust each other's judgement that would mean as soon as one of you found a troll the others wouldn't have to suffer through it.  Trust is the key word here in that if they just didn't like someone and blocked them you wouldn't be playing them either.  Shared lists have usage like this in many other environments.  My phone, for example, uses one to block telemarketers.

Jacob Marley

Quote from: JunkDealer on 11 January 2017, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob Marley on 11 January 2017, 07:32:35 PM

Why not a shared list between friends?  As long as you trust each other's judgement that would mean as soon as one of you found a troll the others wouldn't have to suffer through it.  Trust is the key word here in that if they just didn't like someone and blocked them you wouldn't be playing them either.  Shared lists have usage like this in many other environments.  My phone, for example, uses one to block telemarketers.

I'm not in favor of sharing lists automatically.  It could lead to situations where one person blacklists another for reasons that are personal or due to one-time occurrences that don't reflect the banned players typical play style.  Shared lists could get that player locked out of a large number of players unfairly.

JunkDealer

Quote from: Jacob Marley on 12 January 2017, 08:01:36 PM

I'm not in favor of sharing lists automatically.

What do you mean by sharing lists automatically?  If you're going to share a list and someone copies it statically you could still end up in the same scenario.  I'm referring to being able to essentially "include x user's list" in my own list.  When it gets updated so does mine.  Again this is a common practice of shared lists for blocking unwanted things.

Joseph2302

Quote from: JunkDealer on 12 January 2017, 09:44:14 PM

What do you mean by sharing lists automatically?  If you're going to share a list and someone copies it statically you could still end up in the same scenario.  I'm referring to being able to essentially "include x user's list" in my own list.  When it gets updated so does mine.  Again this is a common practice of shared lists for blocking unwanted things.
Not in favour of an auto blacklist based on friends. However an option to block the top 10% most blocked people would be good (like on MMF)

twasa

Jacob Marley

Quote from: JunkDealer on 12 January 2017, 09:44:14 PM

This is exactly what I am against.  If I have to manually look at your list and add the people there to my list, I may find names I don't want to blacklist due to having positive interaction with them.  If your list just updates mine, I might a) not know there is someone on my list who I don't want to be there, and b) I might get banned by a bunch of top players because one person got mad at something I might have done inadvertently.

Yes, if everyone is copying everyone else's list, the same result could happen, but I'd like to think that doing it manually will at least cause most players to pick and chose based on their own experience or research in the forum/chat who the problem players are and focus on blacklisting them rather than arbitrarily locking players out of the community who do not deserve it.

santamonica811

My suggestion:  Why not merely create a thread.  Here, on the Discord site, wherever.  Let people publicly post, along with one short sentence about why I am blacklisting that person(s). 

For example (these are made up)
Timmy123456:  Played each turn after 4 minutes, and posted in chat it was intentional.
biglion123456: Called me, in chat, a n***r, f**k you, and repeatedly said my win was only due to luck
MrThirdExample: Kept complaining about his bad draws.

So, you all could see what I wrote about the three people I had personally blacklisted.  Everyone else might want to also blacklist Timmy. [ugh].  Many people might want to blacklist BigLion, while other people might not care at all about profanity.  And maybe no one but me would block the third guy . . . his complaining, while not optimal, seems fairly benign, after all.

Then, you could add to the list.  Or, you could say, "Timmy123456 also took 4+ minutes for each turn with me," which add credibility to my claim.  Or you could say, "I've played BigLion 3 times, and she never used profanity in any way."  So, people could see the negative and positive reviews and make their own decisions.  (Or, BigLion could post a response to me on the thread.)

In my actual game-play, I have actually been very lucky so far.  A few people just disappeared mid-game without resigning . . . but this could have been due to being disconnected, or other technical glitches, so I would not ban someone based on a one-time occurrence of that.  A few people remarked about how lucky I had been (in their opinion), or how unlucky they had been.  No biggie--just harmless immature venting and I was happy to play additional games with them.

But I have heard of a few real horror stories, so I know the evil players are out there.  A public shaming is a great first step.  And if 3 unrelated people have had the same sort of dreadful game interaction with the same player, then I'd like to know about it.

Just my 2 cents. :-)

Lord Vaccarino

got one doing it now ... one card every 5 minutes. Username deleted is the user name! absolute idiot!

sprocket science

Yes, I'm in a game with Username deleted right now as well. He's literally boasting that he's a famous troll.

So, besides a blacklisting feature, is there a way to report a user so they get banned? He'll just make a new user name, but at least he won't be able to build a ranking based on people quitting in frustration.

Stef

Quote from: sprocket science on 06 February 2017, 08:48:40 PM
Yes, I'm in a game with Username deleted right now as well. He's literally boasting that he's a famous troll.

So, besides a blacklisting feature, is there a way to report a user so they get banned? He'll just make a new user name, but at least he won't be able to build a ranking based on people quitting in frustration.

I asked him about it a couple of days ago, but no answer yet. Who knows, maybe blocking his accounts will get him to answer. Honestly I don't think so, but it seems worth a try. Hopefully we'll get some features in place to deal with this relatively soon.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: sprocket science on 06 February 2017, 08:48:40 PM

This is one of the reasons why name-and-shame is not the right approach with these sorts of problems.

WhiteRabbit1981

May I add that i have "Username deleted" on my friendslist since forever? I had a very nice chat with him, he was a bit sad that online-dominion is not really a newbie welcoming culture and every "Pro" only says "play faster" when he was confronted with a kingdom of 10 unknown cards. He was very nice to me and totally thankful that someone took his time to explain some new cards, give some strategy hints, explain how debt works and so on.

I believe you all that he is (or became) a troll since then, but anyways in my book public name-and-shame is NEVER the right approach.