Blacklisting

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

There are many reasons why online Dominion isn't very newbie-friendly, which I won't get into, but I will say that anyone who does this:

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 06 February 2017, 09:59:40 PM
every "Pro" only says "play faster" when he was confronted with a kingdom of 10 unknown cards.

isn't a "pro", they are just a jerk.

Jacob Marley

You have a point about the play faster theme.  It permanently drove me away from Isotropic the very first time I played.  Goko/MF was not nearly so bad, and frankly, I haven't had a problem on ShuffleIt, but I can believe that some people may experience it.

That does not in any way excuse slow-rolling.  If the problem is people complaining about your play speed there are a couple of things you can do:

1.  Practice against Bots.  This certainly helps with learning the interface, but is limited for non-subscribers getting games against subscribers.  Really the only solution there is to pony up and get all the cards.  I know that bots are not great to play against, but if you are motivated by learning the cards, bot games are a stress-free way to do that.

2.  Explain in chat that you are not slow-rolling, but need extra time to think/read cards/ etc.  Hopefully your opponent will be understanding, but if they continue to be a jerk about it, that's on them, not you.

3.  Make interim moves.  Often when I get to my buy phase but don't know what I want, I'll play my treasures then think, especially on turn 1.  That was I show that I'm present and playing, not just sitting there.

4.  Once blacklisting is activated, you can always blacklist players who are too pushy about speed play.

Ultimately, I believe that you have the right to play at a pace that is comfortable to you.  Sometimes there will be situations that demand extra time to think/read cards, other times you will be able to play fast since there are no decisions needed.  I believe that most players will respect this if you are clearly not slow-rolling, and the ones who don't aren't your fault.

ffejselur

Quote from: Jacob Marley on 07 February 2017, 01:52:20 AM
Ultimately, I believe that you have the right to play at a pace that is comfortable to you.  Sometimes there will be situations that demand extra time to think/read cards, other times you will be able to play fast since there are no decisions needed.
I both agree with and appreciate this remark. I see 2 main components to the pacing issue: 1. how long it takes to look at the initial board, analyze what card synergies/combos might exist and map out game strategy, and 2. how long it takes to make moves during the course of the game. IRL we always take a few minutes to look at a board before starting, although the social atmosphere, game setup, etc. make this a little easier to swallow than it would be for some OL, I guess.  But still, taking time before making opening moves is completely different than regularly taking lots of time for later turns, IMHO. I don't think anyone should complain if someone hasn't made their 1st move in 30 seconds. If you don't like it then finish the game politely and move on to play someone else. Now repeatedly taking 2 minutes between moves thereafter is a more legitimate concern.

1 thing I'd see in the MF global chat is some people looking for a "fast" game, others for a "relaxed" game. Maybe someday Si could have a feature where users could list their preferred pace of play in their profile and Matching could incorporate this to match users with like pacing preferences, or players could set up tables where only players with similar pacing preferences could join. That would be great.

Quote from: AdamH on 06 February 2017, 10:34:43 PM
There are many reasons why online Dominion isn't very newbie-friendly, which I won't get into
I could understand why you don't want to get into it, but you've sure got me curious...

kieranmillar

I thought the Familiar Cards feature was there to ensure that people would be slowly introduced to new cards so people didn't have to spend ages looking over a set where all 10 cards are new. Make it so that cards are automatically marked familiar the first time you see them and that problem should go away (or can't be used as an excuse anymore as might be the case here).

Stef

* I strongly dislike "public name & shame". Please don't do it. For now it will just stay with "strongly dislike", but once we manage to build the options that allow you to avoid certain players in game, we'll actually start removing/redacting those posts. If you have a problem with a specific user, send a PM to one of the moderators.

* "Playing slow" and "Slowplaying" are fundamentally different things. The first may be related to being unfamiliar with cards, thorough analysis or just a general slower pace. While this can cause annoyance and thus be a problem, the solution will be a bit complicated. We will introduce the option to play timed games at some point. Until that day, please try to be friendly to each other and keep in mind that your opponent is probably not doing this by choice.

Slowplaying is about intentionally delaying your plays, waiting minutes between playing coppers, in the hopes that your opponent resigns or gets annoyed. This I consider a mental illness, and we will simply not tolerate it. As soon as I'm convinced you're doing this, you're banned.

SirDagen

Hi Stef

I like your overall mindset. Again a reminder that we are in good hands.

On another note: I am sure slowplaying can be automatically detected. If detected the culprit cannot auto-resign his opponent anymore and/or other options (a pop-up shown to the victim if he wants to ...). Man, there are so many ideas in my head for Dominion online. I just love this game.
Greetings,
SirDagen

YooperJake

Quote from: Stef on 06 February 2017, 08:59:41 PM
Quote from: sprocket science on 06 February 2017, 08:48:40 PM
Yes, I'm in a game with Username deleted right now as well. He's literally boasting that he's a famous troll.

So, besides a blacklisting feature, is there a way to report a user so they get banned? He'll just make a new user name, but at least he won't be able to build a ranking based on people quitting in frustration.

I asked him about it a couple of days ago, but no answer yet. Who knows, maybe blocking his accounts will get him to answer. Honestly I don't think so, but it seems worth a try. Hopefully we'll get some features in place to deal with this relatively soon.

FYI:  not sure if they are literally stating "Username deleted", but I just had a similar experience in which the other player, "Username deleted" (multi?) threw a midgame tantrum declaring that:
"afk now for real"
"1 card layed down per 4min"
"are you very upset?"
"i have advice for you"
"just watch a movie or something"
"im just trolling around and having fun"

Now, thankfully, I was able to successfully engage him and he began to play again after less than 10 minutes had transpired.  So, hopefully our friend has had a change of heart.  But I think it  demonstrates the need to implement a blacklist feature.  Personally, I would give this person another chance, but the option to blacklist is sorely needed, IMHO.

moktak

Edit by LaLight: removed this post, because public name & shame is not something we believe in.

Bmoan

GIVE US A BLACK LIST!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( I'm so sick of playing with assholes. its really annoying when you immediately get queued with the person again.

McFly

New high today: I had an opponent spam undo followed by immediate cancel, then leave the table. It's the new ragequit meta apparently. The best part about people like that is that they gain rating because the only sensible move for you is to resign when they do that  :)

Please move blacklisting up in the priority list, I have people ragequit on me on a daily basis and it's by far the most annoying thing in the game. Alternatively make people lose vast amounts of rating when opponents make them resign, then write on the "Force resignation" button to only do that if you think your opponent left on purpose. People who ragequit regularly will now get matched only with other people who do this.

https://snag.gy/FB2Poe.jpg

stellar82

Hi, just wanted to report a couple of bad experiences I'e had with players today, and I think the issue needs to be addressed:

Game one: the person told me "take your turn n****", so I promptly resigned from the game, because I will not associate with someone using such a nasty word.

Game two: the person with the name Username deleted said "just so you know, I make sure every turn is as slow as possible...I wait until the last second the game allows." When I said "May I ask why?" the person said "that depends, are you white?" I immediately resigned, and realized that user behaves like this probably to collect wins by getting people to resign.

I can deal with people resigning from a game, and even with the occasional impoliteness, but racist remarks and other offensive behavior needs to be reported somehow, so these users can be warned, or at least players need to have the ability to block such users so they won't end up in a match with them.

SkyHard

Yes, that is always unpleasant. At least with a Blacklist it would be only once per idiot...

TheDetour

Abusive slow playing is a plague in this game.  I'm not sure of what the reason for that is - AFK's possibly.  I am willing to bet that many slow players do it just to get "easy" wins where the opponent resigns.  I've had people try this MANY times early, middle, and late game and it is a horrible experience.  Despicable if you ask me.

That's not the only reason to blacklist - I've had another slow player ask me if I was white before playing... and others carry on racist and sexist conversations in chat instead of playing.  Those players... if not banned outright... should certainly be segregated or eliminated from playing players who are not interested in that sort of banter.

Beyond Awesome

Unfortunately, I think Trump is causing people to act racist online. I don't recall this kind of behavior before he took office, like ever. I think people are doing it because they want to get a rise and they think it's cool now that since the President is..., well, I'm not going to say anything. I don't want to get political, but anyway racism should not be tolerated in anyway whatsoever.

SkyHard

Quote from: TheDetour on 18 March 2017, 07:28:48 AM
I'm not sure of what the reason for that is
I know at least one reason why I sometimes do play slow: the other guy has a mega long engine and I do not get any notification when it is my play. Yes, I could stare at his play, but I don't. It is not that entertaining.