right-click on Mac

Previous topic - Next topic

ehunt

playing on a mac with safari , control + click isn't giving me the card texts. is there a different command?

LaLight

Quote from: ehunt on 13 January 2017, 05:12:24 AM
playing on a mac with safari , control + click isn't giving me the card texts. is there a different command?

Hey!  I use two-finger click on Mac, it works fine.

ehunt

Quote from: LaLight on 13 January 2017, 06:33:00 AM

hmm, having no luck with that either -- , does control click work for you, or only two-finger click?

LaLight

Quote from: ehunt on 17 January 2017, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: LaLight on 13 January 2017, 06:33:00 AM

hmm, having no luck with that either -- , does control click work for you, or only two-finger click?

Control-click doesn't work. I guess this is some settings, but i don't know Macs enough.

ehunt

in case anyone is bumping into this thread later, I turned off some other trackpad settings on my mac that I wasn't using (can't remember exactly which, but principally zoom), and then two-finger click started working.

ElisabetK

This is part of why requiring right-click for anything can be maddening. We shouldn't be having to go into track pad settings to find a workaround.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: ElisabetK on 08 February 2017, 03:22:22 AM
This is part of why requiring right-click for anything can be maddening. We shouldn't be having to go into track pad settings to find a workaround.

+1

Ingix

I'm not sure if calling "This is 2017!" is actually proving me wrong, as I guess I may be seriously out of touch with how the general computing environment has developed over the last 30 years. But a device that uses something like a mouse pointer (no matter if it is moved around by an actual mouse or trackball or touch pad or whatever) should have a simple way to do what has been for the last 20+ years known as 'left click' and 'right click'.

I'm totally understanding that for touch devices that paradigm of a mouse pointer is no longer relevant, but I assume ehunt was talking about a Mac laptop/notebook or whatever Apple calls them these days. I'm all for special clients that work great on mouse, touch screen or whatever, but complaining that the current client (in a browser) on a mouse pointer driven device is using right clicks is 'seriously strange' to me. But as I told above, I may be out of touch with reality, since I'm using Windows desktops exclusively as my computers.

gkrieg

Quote from: Ingix on 08 February 2017, 11:51:59 AM
I'm not sure if calling "This is 2017!" is actually proving me wrong, as I guess I may be seriously out of touch with how the general computing environment has developed over the last 30 years. But a device that uses something like a mouse pointer (no matter if it is moved around by an actual mouse or trackball or touch pad or whatever) should have a simple way to do what has been for the last 20+ years known as 'left click' and 'right click'.

I'm totally understanding that for touch devices that paradigm of a mouse pointer is no longer relevant, but I assume ehunt was talking about a Mac laptop/notebook or whatever Apple calls them these days. I'm all for special clients that work great on mouse, touch screen or whatever, but complaining that the current client (in a browser) on a mouse pointer driven device is using right clicks is 'seriously strange' to me. But as I told above, I may be out of touch with reality, since I'm using Windows desktops exclusively as my computers.

I use a mac, and am astounded when people don't know how to right-click with one.  It is something that I do almost every day.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: gkrieg on 08 February 2017, 06:01:10 PM
Quote from: Ingix on 08 February 2017, 11:51:59 AM

I use a mac, and am astounded when people don't know how to right-click with one.  It is something that I do almost every day.

The method I most commonly use for secondary click doesn't work at all in this implementation of Dominion in Chrome.

And yes, there is plenty of debate (in 2017) about the proper role of the secondary click in UI. I agree with those who argue that a right-click should not be the ONLY way to perform some action.

I'd also add that there's zero indication (no tooltip, no overlay hint) that right clicking would do anything. For my first few games I just assumed there was no way to look at the cards.

tufftaeh

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 08 February 2017, 06:42:57 PM
And yes, there is plenty of debate (in 2017) about the proper role of the secondary click in UI. I agree with those who argue that a right-click should not be the ONLY way to perform some action.

I've been doing development and product management for technical desktop applications for the past 25 years, and in this area, the typical alternative to a right-click (opening a context menu) is a left click for selection of an object and then a click on a menu item in the main menu. (We actually don't like a continuously changing main menu, so we don't offer this, so some commands ARE available only through right click.)
Would you want a permanently visible main menu for the Dominion Online GUI? If not, what else would you suggest? (I'm really interested, not trying to suggest there cannot be any other way.)

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: tufftaeh on 10 February 2017, 03:30:00 PM
Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 08 February 2017, 06:42:57 PM

I've been doing development and product management for technical desktop applications for the past 25 years, and in this area, the typical alternative to a right-click (opening a context menu) is a left click for selection of an object and then a click on a menu item in the main menu. (We actually don't like a continuously changing main menu, so we don't offer this, so some commands ARE available only through right click.)
Would you want a permanently visible main menu for the Dominion Online GUI? If not, what else would you suggest? (I'm really interested, not trying to suggest there cannot be any other way.)

Didn't MF have a little "zoom" icon in the corner of the cards? That's one possible solution.

Another would be a kingdom browser (wasn't that also in the MF version).

There could also be a "?" or similar button that would switch to a mode (maybe with overlaid tooltips) that would let the user explore the interface/supply piles.

I'm not proposing any of these things INSTEAD of a secondary click -- I'm on a Mac, and I use the secondary click all the time -- but there should be an alternative.

tufftaeh

Right, MF had the easier to miss "+" icon for buying where you would often zoom into big card view inadvertently (but then could click an even bigger "+" there).
I must admit I like not to be required to hit the "+" exactly now.
A "Kingdom" button (as in Nighthawk's mod) is actually a good option.
An additional "?" button should rather open a help window which includes a list of how to do all the non-obvious things like right-click, open mat view and so on. It could simply link to http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1100.0 but I guess a list of clickable things (fitting into the look and feel of the client) would be better. That list could still have a link to the FAQ in the forum.