Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Resigning Mid-Game: Rant Warning :p  (Read 3029 times)

Offline yed

• View Profile
Re: Resigning Mid-Game: Rant Warning :p
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
Yes to penalties for quiters who left you waiting for 4 minutes, but not for resigns.

Offline twasa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
A player may quit involuntarily. I was playing a game when we suddenly had a power failure in our area. At least Lord Rattington didn't mind that I had quit, but another player might interpret that as a deliberate quit.

Offline josh bornstein

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
Hi Josh, be my guest – I am not offended at all.

If it seems so, perhaps you can blame it to my non-native English … - the last thing I want to have here would be a “no welcome” list due to divergent opinions here in the forum.

Nevertheless, the clear statement from Starbecca (“I was hoping that maybe Dominion culture could be developed to embrace good sportsmanship and etiquette”) is for me a much more valuable approach than saying, “Good manners to ask first, or at least announce in advance. But not absolutely required“.

I say: it IS absolutely required – we should never allow to see this as a normal behavior. I really want to encourage people to use the in-game-chat for saying hello, some nice words, asking for undo … and of course, of course for resigns – otherwise one should prefer bots games.

We can’t heal the world, and we all have to live with silent resigners or quitters (where is the difference by the way?) – but a stronger commitment by saying “quitters not welcome here” as an unmistakeable community rule could be a nice route to follow.

PS: at least when leaderboards coming up again, I would appreciate penalties for quitters (or thinking positive there should be an extra reward for the winner).

Have fun!
Martin

Thanks, Martin,
I think you make a fair point.  My only excuse is that Donald Trump will become my president in 2 days, so it's hard to think clearly when you're under a cloud of depression!  :-)

If we are (down-the-road) able to look at statistics for ourselves and other players, I do think it would be great to be able to see the number/ratio of games resigned.  Not sure if anyone has officially made that suggestion.  But I think it's a