Resigning Mid-Game: Rant Warning :p

Previous topic - Next topic

Starbecca

How do people feel about players resigning mid-game? I had one person ask me if I minded if they resigned because they couldn't catch up. At least the person asked. Most people just suddenly quit. I'm keeping pace with the game, not too slow. I guess I will always view it as being a bad sport when people cut and run but I'd like to hear what others think.

yed

It is ok to resign any time. Resign is a valid option, it is not a quiting. Why play a game, that has already been decided? I do believe, that a lot of people resigns too soon, but it is their strategic mistake, I don't care (I won).

It is not ok to quit and leave you waiting for 4 minutes!

twasa

I agree that a game can be resigned at any time. It is a bit annoying when it happens in the middle of my turn, but then it still is a win and both of us can continue with a next game.

LaLight

I nearly always ask first, this is a matter of policy for me. Though I feel fine about people resigning either. Sometimes it may be disappointing cause you are working on your master-engine, but think about the person in front of you, your engine slowly kills his hope to win with every card played. So, personally, I'm okay with that.

Starbecca

I appreciate getting all this feedback. I will try  :P not to feel so annoyed by those who resign and leave the table. But I think I will still see it as poor sportsmanship and bad etiquette.  Communicating with your opposition about it would be SOOOO much better, would protect your rep and even staying to play again would be respect-worthy. The WORST is when losers resign and leave the table without a word, not even so much as a "gg." It is very hard not to see that as a poor sport. Imagine playing someone in real life who quit every time you started winning. They would quickly be on your list of those you don't want to play with!

Okay. I'll stop ranting now.  ;D

LaLight

Quote from: Starbecca on 17 January 2017, 03:36:28 PM
I appreciate getting all this feedback. I will try  :P not to feel so annoyed by those who resign and leave the table. But I think I will still see it as poor sportsmanship and bad etiquette.  Communicating with your opposition about it would be SOOOO much better, would protect your rep and even staying to play again would be respect-worthy. The WORST is when losers resign and leave the table without a word, not even so much as a "gg." It is very hard not to see that as a poor sport. Imagine playing someone in real life who quit every time you started winning. They would quickly be on your list of those you don't want to play with!

Okay. I'll stop ranting now.  ;D

I can understand you at whole. But here, in online implementation, I guess you need to get used to it... Unfortunately. Also, there are many nice people. I assure you :)

JunkDealer

I'm going to put  on my old codger hat here and say that resigning without asking is just rude.

Imagine you're playing a game in real life and the person doesn't say anything, but just stacks up his cards into a pile, pushes them into the middle and walks away or worse gets up from the table without saying anything and leaves?  These are the equivalent to quitting and resigning without asking first.  It's amazing to me that this kind of etiquette isn't respected.  I will never turn down a request to resign.  I might ask why they want to resign first, but if it's a clear loss I completely understand it.  However, I will not understand someone who can't take the common courtesy to let the other person know what's going on.

I see this as a systemic problem with our online presence.  People just don't take the time to be polite.  It only takes half a minute to do and prevents people from getting the wrong impression.  As a previous user said put yourself in the other person's shoes.... If you just resign and walk away what impression are you leaving that person?  Be polite.  Say hello to the person you're playing with.  Wish them luck.  Tell them it was fun or a good game.  It's only a few keystrokes, but certainly makes the world more polite and human.

hf!
gg!

Old codger hat removed.

yed

I resign and then say "gg".
Then I usually either click Ready or say "I need to go" or "I need a break".

I don't think it is rude to resign without asking.

Mick

I can't find myself getting too upset by this. At least they resigned and didn't just leave and force you to wait. Maybe they had a good reason, and maybe they didn't, but it's not really my place to give (or deny) them "permission" to resign, so I don't see why they should need to ask first.

santamonica811

I'm with the majority here.  It's clearly the custom, so it's just something to get used to.  (I, on the other hand, will always ask, "Okay if I resign?" first.  About 75% of the time, I get no response within a minute, so I go ahead and resign at that point.  The other 25% of the time; people say some version of, "Sure, go ahead."  While it's fun to play our your killer engine, it's really not fun on the other end.  And this is 1000x more so, when there are attacks in play, or where you need to respond during the future-winner's turn (e.g., Masquerade).  I don't mind losing.  I don't mind getting killed from time-to-time.  But I really don't want to have to play a "dead" game for another 7 minutes, with each of her/his turns taking a full minute to cycle through.

So, count me as a vote for, "Good manners to ask first, or at least announce in advance.  But not absolutely required."  :-)

Starbecca

Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that people need my permission to resign when they are losing. I am definitely saying it is rude not to finish a game, just because you are losing. The fact that it is online is no different than it would be if you were sitting across from each other and the person just walked away without a word each time they were losing. It's being an impolite, poor sport in person and no different online. I was hoping that maybe Dominion culture could be developed to embrace good sportsmanship and etiquette. There are plenty of online etiquette concepts that we embrace regularly, LIKE NOT YELLING AT PEOPLE BY USING CAPS.  ;D  I know there will always be times people have to suddenly quit because of an emergency. But under normal circumstances, I'd rather play people who follow through and finish.

Online Dominion will be as good as we make it.

yed

Resigning 2 player game IRL is also ok. It is rude to just walk away. Saying "I resign, good game. Do you want to play another?" is completely ok and polite.

Martin plays Piano

The advantage of bots games is, that the bots can't resign ...
The disadvantage of bots games is, that you can't chat with them ...

The advantage of human games is, that you can chat with somebody ...
The disadvantage of human games is, that somebody can resign ...
The even bigger disadvantage of human games is, that somebody can resign without saying any word ...

Saying nothing, press resign and going away should be stated as a total no-go.

So I will put Starbecca and JunkDealer on my buddy list, and all the others can play in silence with their beloved resigners.

Have fun !
Martin (user name Rachmaninoff)

santamonica811

Quote from: Martin plays Piano on 19 January 2017, 08:43:39 AM
The advantage of bots games is, that the bots can't resign ...
The disadvantage of bots games is, that you can't chat with them ...

The advantage of human games is, that you can chat with somebody ...
The disadvantage of human games is, that somebody can resign ...
The even bigger disadvantage of human games is, that somebody can resign without saying any word ...

Saying nothing, press resign and going away should be stated as a total no-go.

So I will put Starbecca and JunkDealer on my buddy list, and all the others can play in silence with their beloved resigners.

Have fun !
Martin (user name Rachmaninoff)

Martin,
I am not sure why you are being so pissy.  Did you read all of the posts?  Sure does not seem like you read mine.

One of the great features online is that you can avoid people you do not want to play with.  While I am in full agreement with your attitude re resigners (who do it without saying anything), I don't love your approach.  Please add me to your "not welcome" list. 

(But, having said that; I do hope that you enjoy your Dominion play here.  My guess is that, after you pick and choose your playing partners, you will indeed find it a fun time here.)

Martin plays Piano

Hi Josh, be my guest – I am not offended at all.

If it seems so, perhaps you can blame it to my non-native English ... - the last thing I want to have here would be a "no welcome" list due to divergent opinions here in the forum.

Nevertheless, the clear statement from Starbecca ("I was hoping that maybe Dominion culture could be developed to embrace good sportsmanship and etiquette") is for me a much more valuable approach than saying, "Good manners to ask first, or at least announce in advance. But not absolutely required".

I say: it IS absolutely required – we should never allow to see this as a normal behavior. I really want to encourage people to use the in-game-chat for saying hello, some nice words, asking for undo ... and of course, of course for resigns – otherwise one should prefer bots games.

We can't heal the world, and we all have to live with silent resigners or quitters (where is the difference by the way?) – but a stronger commitment by saying "quitters not welcome here" as an unmistakeable community rule could be a nice route to follow.

PS: at least when leaderboards coming up again, I would appreciate penalties for quitters (or thinking positive there should be an extra reward for the winner).

Have fun!
Martin