Resigning Mid-Game: Rant Warning :p

Previous topic - Next topic

yed

Yes to penalties for quiters who left you waiting for 4 minutes, but not for resigns.

twasa

A player may quit involuntarily. I was playing a game when we suddenly had a power failure in our area. At least Lord Rattington didn't mind that I had quit, but another player might interpret that as a deliberate quit.

santamonica811

Quote from: Martin plays Piano on 19 January 2017, 11:48:15 AM
Hi Josh, be my guest – I am not offended at all.

If it seems so, perhaps you can blame it to my non-native English ... - the last thing I want to have here would be a "no welcome" list due to divergent opinions here in the forum.

Nevertheless, the clear statement from Starbecca ("I was hoping that maybe Dominion culture could be developed to embrace good sportsmanship and etiquette") is for me a much more valuable approach than saying, "Good manners to ask first, or at least announce in advance. But not absolutely required".

I say: it IS absolutely required – we should never allow to see this as a normal behavior. I really want to encourage people to use the in-game-chat for saying hello, some nice words, asking for undo ... and of course, of course for resigns – otherwise one should prefer bots games.

We can't heal the world, and we all have to live with silent resigners or quitters (where is the difference by the way?) – but a stronger commitment by saying "quitters not welcome here" as an unmistakeable community rule could be a nice route to follow.

PS: at least when leaderboards coming up again, I would appreciate penalties for quitters (or thinking positive there should be an extra reward for the winner).

Have fun!
Martin

Thanks, Martin,
I think you make a fair point.  My only excuse is that Donald Trump will become my president in 2 days, so it's hard to think clearly when you're under a cloud of depression!  :-)

If we are (down-the-road) able to look at statistics for ourselves and other players, I do think it would be great to be able to see the number/ratio of games resigned.  Not sure if anyone has officially made that suggestion.  But I think it's a pretty good one.

jsh

Wanting everyone to follow your own conception of manners on the internet is ambitious to say the least.

I am perfectly fine with wordless resignations and don't care to use pointless greetings and pleasantries. I assume if someone is playing the game they are already there for a good time and "gg" can be a mixed message depending on the context. A lot of players use it in a demeaning fashion, not necessarily in this community but elsewhere.

Wishing your opponent good luck in dominion is just asking for trouble.

I enjoy discussing games with people when I'm not tired, but I'm not one for scripted language.

JunkDealer

Quote from: jsh on 19 January 2017, 05:27:59 PM
Wishing your opponent good luck in dominion is just asking for trouble.

Why is this asking for trouble?  No matter your skill level there is luck involved in this game.  Yes, it is mitigated luck, but there is still luck.  So how is wishing someone good luck asking for trouble?

Quote from: jsh on 19 January 2017, 05:27:59 PM
I enjoy discussing games with people when I'm not tired, but I'm not one for scripted language.

We will have to agree to disagree here.  Part of what makes human interaction pleasurable are pleasantries.  Perhaps this is the Canadian in me speaking, but I honestly feel joy when I wish the stranger I'm passing in the street a good morning and I feel joy when someone does the same to me.  Even when we greet friends (both new and close)  "How are you doing?" is a pleasantry.  The person who doesn't know me well will probably respond with "Fine and how are you?"  The person who knows me well may respond "Well actually I'm having a rough day" and we may delve into a more in depth conversation.  How we respond to each other makes us human and the world a better place. 

Yes, there will always be people who don't respond in kind or who mean to hurt/harm with their comments.  However, to not engage can be just as hurtful.  Scripted language is how we start interactions and most discussions.  It's how we grow our friendships and relationships.  It's even how we engage on a regular basis.  Don't under estimate scripted language; it's important.  I'd encourage you to try and monitor every word you say in a day and analyze how much of it is "scripted".  I think you might be surprised by how much of our world is scripted and how that makes us more humane and kinder.

That's all I'm really saying here.  A few keystrokes makes the world a kinder place.  What's wrong with that?  Is it so burdensome on you to type "Hi",  "You've clearly beat me I'm going to resign",  "Gotta run... Sorry to leave",  or some other pleasantry?  I'm a firm believer of you get what you give.  Take the time to respect your other player.  The time they are giving to you.  The experience they are sharing with you.

I'll continue to try not to be annoyed by the silent players, perhaps language is a barrier for them, but if you can, be kind and spend the 5 seconds to type a message.

jsh

If you wish your opponent luck and they open 5/2 on a good kingdom for it, I think you dug your own grave to some extent. I'm not a superstitious person, granted, but I'm still not going to lie and say I want the person I'm trying to beat to have good fortune.

Re: pleasantries, whatever, man. It's the internet. It doesn't bother me when people greet me (why would it?), but I'm under no social obligation to return the gesture. It might make me seem like a jerk to that person, but if they feel that strongly about this one instance I question how they function on a day to day basis when every single minor expectation isn't met. I also don't say hi to every stranger I pass on the street. And neither does everyone I pass say hi to me. I don't think this has anything to do with whether someone is from Canada or not. It's simply an unrealistic expectation. Small talk with people I don't know is a use of my time that I rarely indulge in.

twasa

I'm with jsh here. I actually find the "gl" at the beginning of a game strange. I have had a few instances lately of better rated players ranting at me for daring to win a game. I'm glad they didn't wish for my good luck at the start of the game.

JunkDealer

Quote from: twasa on 19 January 2017, 07:28:22 PM
I'm with jsh here. I actually find the "gl" at the beginning of a game strange. I have had a few instances lately of better rated players ranting at me for daring to win a game. I'm glad they didn't wish for my good luck at the start of the game.

I wonder if the assumption here is that by wishing someone else good fortune you're giving up your own?  I personally want all players to have good luck (including me!).  If one person has good luck and the other bad, then it ends up being lopsided and not very enjoyable.  If everyone has bad luck you get a slow game with slow progression which is equally unpleasant.  If everyone has good luck you all get good hands, runs, etc and it makes for a quick and exciting game.  Keep in mind I'm not saying "I hope you win."  That would be silly.  Obviously I'm hoping I win, but I hope you have good luck too so that we get an interesting game.

As far as people ranting at you for daring to win... Well that's just poor gamesmanship.  I wouldn't want to play someone like that.  I'm sorry there are people like that here and I hope to avoid them in gameplay.

twasa

I do not wish for better luck for either me or my opponent. I'd try to do the best I can and expect they'd as well and luck may play a part or not. If it does, it really doesn't matter in the long run.

Starbecca

I'm going to stay away from the "small talk" discussion and head back to resigning mid-game without a word.

Dominion is a society (the aggregate of people operating together in a more or less ordered community; an organization or club formed for a particular purpose or activity). Simple truth: in societies, our actions do not occur in a vacuum, they make an impact on others. Etiquette considerations (standards for making things go more smoothly) do not seem unreasonable in a society. The value of etiquette is easily argued, in business, families, online communities, etc. Some people see the value more than others and this is sometimes a result of upbringing or a result of maturation but I readily admit that some people will continue not caring what others think or not caring about the niceties of society for their entire lives. If it doesn't help them then that will be all that matters.

I ascribe to etiquette matters as an element of ethics. If possible, I want things to "go more smoothly." To me, it seems good/right/moral to want to generate good will. I will not take this too far and I always am interested to hear what others think even though I cannot be entirely responsible for what others think (they have to own part of that).

As part of the Dominion community/society, I stand resolved that I'd like to see it be a friendly and considerate competitive arena. To that end, I hope that etiquette is adhered to more often than not. Just as most of us feel the burden to not play too slowly because it can be annoying, I hope people will consider the possibility of playing through or commenting, rather than resigning without a word, if for no other reason than to make online Dominion "go more smoothly." It only takes a few seconds to generate that good will. I know, some will not be willing but I hope many will.

twasa

Resigning mid-game without a word is conceding the game. It adequately communicates your thoughts about the game so far and its likely ending. I just think the additional etiquette you'd like to see, is asking too much. What do you want your opponent to do more than conceding?

twasa

I think I should get out of here, I'm bordering on https://xkcd.com/386/

Martin plays Piano

@twasa:
Being polite is like asking too much ??
Investing 2-3 nice words in the chat is asking too much ??

Hey, we are all human beings, and most of them want to chat and to socialize beyond the pure game as part of a living community – please don't expect that all players here are only acting like dumb parkometers – what a terrible world !!

SkyHard

Quote from: Martin plays Piano on 19 January 2017, 09:27:07 PM
Hey, we are all human beings, and most of them want to chat and to socialize beyond the pure game as part of a living community – please don't expect that all players here are only acting like dumb parkometers – what a terrible world !!

I think there are two kind of players here: the hardcore players who only want to play and win and the casual player (like me) who want to enjoy the play. The former won't mind the resign because they achieved their goal (winning). The later however...

I first played Dominion only in the Brettspielwelt and there - as a general rule - is no resign button. As being used to no resign I don't really like it if my opponent resigns without a word (no greeting is strange too...).

twasa

Quote from: Martin plays Piano on 19 January 2017, 09:27:07 PM
@twasa:
Being polite is like asking too much ??

Martin, I always let the other player know that I'm conceding before I do and I only do it on my own turn. I don't expect others to do that though. A wordless resignation at any time in the game doesn't bother me.