Overpowerful Possession

Previous topic - Next topic

HinghamtoHingham

Hi

I'm starting to enjoy the new Dominion after some initial hiccoughs. But I have an issue with how possession is playing. In the MF version you could only do one extra play with possession. While playing a game today my opponent played possession twice in a row so had in effect 3 goes on the trot. He did this twice the second time using my possession card to possess my hand! Amazingly I still won the game but it was really tedious having long periods watching someone else play my cards. I think this should be limited, and I thought that was how the card was played in the alchemy version card game.

faust

It has always been possible to play two Possession for multiple turns, ever since the card first came out.

anaslexio

or just add an option to ban possession and other cancer inducing cards, I remember in MF version someone used possession like 7 times in a row using the action that lets you play an action again after playing an action. Possession should have some kind of limitation.

David Goldfarb

It is not true that in the Making Fun version you could only get one possession turn.  I can remember any number of games on MF where someone Throne Roomed or Kings Courted a Possession on me, and got to take two or three turns in a row with my deck.

MrCochese

If I recall correctly, if another player who is controlling your turn with Possession plays Possession, that means that you get to control the Possession turn, not them (as it was still you who played it). So the situation you describe with your opponent using your own Possession against you should definitely not be possible.

Joseph2302

I played 9 possessions on someone once on MF (using King's Courts). So it definitely was possible on MF. If you dislike Possession, you can list it as an unfamiliar card, and then it shouldn't be picked.

Lotoreo

Quoteusing the action that lets you play an action again after playing an action

What? Throneroom?
I am confused!

Mick

It's not like possession makes you actually lose a turn. It's a card that "feels" a lot more unfair than it is.

santamonica811

Quote from: Mick on 23 January 2017, 02:27:11 PM
It's not like possession makes you actually lose a turn. It's a card that "feels" a lot more unfair than it is.

It may be a fair point.  But, in my limited Dom. experience, I can already tell that (1) it is really fun when you build a great engine, and (2) it is not at all fun when your opponent has built one, since it means you are just sitting there for an extended period, just waiting and waiting.  Then your turn comes, you take 15 seconds to finish, and then there's another 3 minute waiting period, as your opponent again cycles through her deck.  (As I said; it's really fun when I'm the one doing the cycling.)  :)

Ten times worse is when--during these long opponent turns--you have to respond at various points.  To pass a card for Masq., for example.  I've been well ahead in a few of those games and still wanted to resign...it just wasn't fun.

And for whatever reason, Possession just pushes those psychological buttons for me.  I'm willing to play with any other card.  But just not Possession.  File it under "Life is too short."  :-)

If it ever happens to show up in a game (and I have marked it as Unfamiliar, to minimize this), I ask my opponent if we can agree that neither will buy the card, and that I am happy to resign right there if that's a problem.  Voila!  Problem solved.

michaeljb

Quote from: Lotoreo on 23 January 2017, 01:00:26 PM
Quoteusing the action that lets you play an action again after playing an action

What? Throneroom?
I am confused!

Sounds like Royal Carriage - http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Royal_Carriage