Display duration area when nothing is there

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

When there's something in my duration area or similar, I can hover over my name to see it. When there's nothing there, however, the display doesn't come up. It should come up, even when it's empty, so that I know there's nothing there.

AdamH

Another duration-area thing. When I have an Overlord played as a Duration card, the display for my duration area only shows an Overlord. While this is correct, it would be much more helpful if the display showed what the Overlord was imitating. Same goes for BoM and potentially other stuff.

LibraryAdventurer

allanfieldhouse

Yup.

Not showing the empty reserves, durations, etc area when there's nothing there makes it really hard to even discover that feature in the first place. If you're used to the fact that hovering over your name doesn't do anything, you're never going to think of trying it when you have a duration out.

dscarpac

Potentially this should only happen if there are reserves, durations, set asides, etc. present in the kingdom.

Ingix

I think the more general question the devs should be thinking about is how to best use the availabe screen real estate to show as much information about "relevant cards" as possible. One of the few gripes I had with the Making Fun interface in the end was that it "shrank" duration cards when it was not that player's turn. It made it easy to overlook cards like Swamp Hag, Haunted Woods, Champion or Lighthouse an opponent had in play. I think it would be best if those cards, which are literally "in play", are shown in play, in normal size.

Introducing the Trash view and making it interchangable with the Log is a good start. Adding the cards on your Tavern mat and cards set aside for various reasons in a "new Trash view" would allow a player to have many of the relevant cards in view at one time. If this "new Trash view" (after renaming it to something more sensible) is duly "advertised" in the UI, this should clear up the big discoverability issue mentioed in this thread.

In addition, at least for desktop users which may have dual monitor setups, it should be possible to have the game open a new browser window (which the user can position on his second monitor) and display some info there (like the Log and/or "new Trash view").

allanfieldhouse

Ingix makes a good point about the duration/reserve area vs the new trash area. Why are the 2 interfaces for showing extra information so different?

I think what we need is for the log area to be a general "extra info" space with tabs across the top for "log", "durations/reserves", and "trash".

Tabs would be much more consistent than the current interface, and it's a very common interface design that will be immediately familiar/intuitive for users. This would also allow for displaying both player's durations/reserves at the same time. Showing multiple tabs simultaneously would be a great feature down-the-road for people with enough extra screen space.

werothegreat

Quote from: AdamH on 24 January 2017, 02:03:50 AM
Another duration-area thing. When I have an Overlord played as a Duration card, the display for my duration area only shows an Overlord. While this is correct, it would be much more helpful if the display showed what the Overlord was imitating. Same goes for BoM and potentially other stuff.

Overlord and BoM should, in general, change color and text, like MF did.