Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Table Checkbox - Identical starting hands  (Read 3339 times)

Offline elliottjf

• View Profile
Re: Table Checkbox - Identical starting hands
« Reply #45 on: 05 June 2018, 04:33:19 AM »
Hello. I just tracked down this thread after recently posting a similar request and being forwarded Donald X's pithy response. I just want to state for the record that I completely agree with Hertz Doughnut's in-depth reply near the end of this thread. I'm among the people who always balances out the starting hands when playing IRL. And it's clear that there is at least a moderately significant population of Dominion players who share this preference and would appreciate the option for privately created tables.

Offline Funhaver

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05 June 2018, 06:26:48 AM »
Thanks Elliott! It's nice to know there are people who think like us. :) We are in the minority on this one, though.

Offline katie_mi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 June 2018, 08:06:15 PM »
I have played a lot of tournaments where this rule was implemented. If someone has 5/2 and can buy a witch in round one the other players have a definite disadvantage. So, I think this is a nice option to have and anyone is free to use it or not. 

Offline josh bornstein

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 07 June 2018, 12:01:57 AM »
What has been fascinating to me, in this whole discussion, was the response of Donald X.  To his credit; he has been really straightforward about this issue.  "Nope.  Not gonna happen.  I veto it."

Fair enough.  His game, his rules.  I have no complaint with this.

But what was so interesting (I'm putting on my psychologist cap here) was the strength of his conviction.  I had expected a response like, "Well, I think it's a dumb idea.  But if you want to make the game less fun, then sure, it can be an opt-in option, for those who want it."  But the unequivocal "no!" tells me that DX really sees this option as something extremely bad for the game.  He seems to have a lot invested in this decision.

And I find that intriguing.  It seems like a pretty anodyne option to me.  (Not one that I would ever use, in my own games, by the way.)  I do not think DX needs to give further explanation.  But if he wanted to, I'd be very interested in hearing/reading his thought-process.  I've already seen scores of examples where I thought one thing about Dominion, someone with more experience says, "But what about this [fill in the blank]?"... and that brings up a point I had not even thought about.

It's all quite interesting to me.  But on a 1-to-10 scale of importance, it's not even a "one" for me.  :)