Table Checkbox - Identical starting hands

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertz Doughnut

Sorry for my last post.  It was posted in a moment of frustration.  I'm not angry anymore and have removed it.  Wish I hadn't posted it in the first place.

Thanks for the fun game.

Kind regards,
HD

Funhaver

All right, poll time. I'll edit this post as votes come in. Which way would you rather play? Vote for:

Alpha: Variable Starting Hands (variety)
or
Delta: Identical Starting Hands (equality)

Be sure to spell out your vote; I can't do a Ctrl-F for triangles.

I'll start.

Delta

Current totals:
Alpha: 0
Delta: 1

EDIT: See a better version of the poll here.

ffejselur

Appreciate the effort, Funhaver, but DXV, the creator of Dominion, has both rejected this feature and asked that this thread be closed -- so is this the best place to start a poll?

Funhaver

Quote from: ffejselur on 03 February 2017, 05:14:57 AM
Appreciate the effort, Funhaver, but DXV, the creator of Dominion, has both rejected this feature and asked that this thread be closed -- so is this the best place to start a poll?
Thanks Jeff! A poll is the best way I can think of to gauge user interest, which is one of the big unknowns surrounding this proposed feature (the other being programming time). If you can think of another location where the poll will get a larger sample size, let me know; this just seemed like the place to start.

Stef

I'm in favor of almost all discussion about features, but some of those discussions are 100% theoretical.
These are discussions about the points where either Donald or Jay (RGG games) have already made a specific desire very clear to me. I don't even know what my personal opinion about identical starting hands is, I just know it's irrelevant what I think.

While I don't like closing threads, and thus you are free to continue this discussion, I would suggest you spend your energy on suggestions that actually might get implemented. There are plenty for sure.

allanfieldhouse

I vote that we don't have a poll.

Current totals:
Poll: 1
No Poll: 1
I didn't vote: 1

ffejselur

Quote from: allanfieldhouse on 04 February 2017, 02:58:44 PM
I vote that we don't have a poll.

Current totals:
Poll: 1
No Poll: 2
Please don't mischaracterize what I said. I did not vote that there should be no poll - just questioned whether this was the place for it. I support anyone's right to start a poll if they want to.

Quote from: Funhaver on 03 February 2017, 06:20:32 AM
Quote from: ffejselur on 03 February 2017, 05:14:57 AM
Thanks Jeff! A poll is the best way I can think of to gauge user interest, which is one of the big unknowns surrounding this proposed feature (the other being programming time). If you can think of another location where the poll will get a larger sample size, let me know; this just seemed like the place to start.
Thanks Funhaver, your post was helpful to me -- it reminded me that I once saw a poll here somewhere so I went looking (normally I just click on "most recent posts" and keep up there) and saw it is very easy to create your own poll. Just go to Shuffle iT Forum >> Feature Requests and right next to New Topic is New Poll, where a poll can easily be built. If that will get more traffic than here is another question - although a poll where people can easily vote is likely to get more responses than one where they have to type in alpha or delta, I would think.

BTW, a "crazy" thought -- "identical" starting hands could easily be done now by agreement without needing any reshuffling if 4-2 openings are acceptable. If anyone gets 5 or 2 to start they just declare "4-2 opening", otherwise 4-3 proceeds.

Funhaver

Quote from: ffejselur on 04 February 2017, 04:16:40 PM
Thanks Funhaver, your post was helpful to me -- it reminded me that I once saw a poll here somewhere so I went looking (normally I just click on "most recent posts" and keep up there) and saw it is very easy to create your own poll. Just go to Shuffle iT Forum >> Feature Requests and right next to New Topic is New Poll, where a poll can easily be built. If that will get more traffic than here is another question - although a poll where people can easily vote is likely to get more responses than one where they have to type in alpha or delta, I would think.
Love it. Done.

Quote from: ffejselur on 04 February 2017, 04:16:40 PM
BTW, a "crazy" thought -- "identical" starting hands could easily be done now by agreement without needing any reshuffling if 4-2 openings are acceptable. If anyone gets 5 or 2 to start they just declare "4-2 opening", otherwise 4-3 proceeds.
Now that is thinking outside the box. Let me just say that I won't knock it till I've tried it. ;)

squirezucco

Quote from: Donald X. on 27 January 2017, 05:53:10 AM
I don't mind whatever variants you play at home.

I have this vision of myself playing crazy eights with my kids using Dominion cards, and Donald X. crying somewhere that his creation is not being properly appreciated.

Donald X.

Quote from: squirezucco on 17 February 2017, 04:27:17 PM
I have this vision of myself playing crazy eights with my kids using Dominion cards, and Donald X. crying somewhere that his creation is not being properly appreciated.
It's sad that Pina Pirata - my take on crazy 8's - isn't properly appreciated, but what can you do. It can be hard to get a lighter game to the audience for it.

Jacob Marley

Quote from: squirezucco on 17 February 2017, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: Donald X. on 27 January 2017, 05:53:10 AM
I don't mind whatever variants you play at home.

Crazy Scouts?  ;)

Bmoan

Quote from: Donald X. on 01 February 2017, 10:45:34 PM
Quote from: josh bornstein on 01 February 2017, 07:45:18 PM
You've been pretty polite in your responses, but--at the same time--dismissive of the concept of making changes that others want (and that you, personally, do not like). 
I am not dismissive of making changes that others want that I don't. For example I didn't want the VP counter. I am dismissing this particular feature. Do not conflate that with everything ever!

Quote from: josh bornstein on 01 February 2017, 07:45:18 PMTo move from this specific case to an abstract hypothetical . . . if there was some option that 90% of the players wanted, but you thought was silly/unwise, would you adopt that option?  What if 95% of the people wanted it?  Or 99.x% wanted it?
Again enough people wanted the VP counter that there it is.

Quote from: josh bornstein on 01 February 2017, 07:45:18 PMAt some point, if you are unwilling to adopt changes that the vast vast majority of players want; then they will say, "Why pay 25-33%, each year!!, for what it costs to buy real-life versions of the entire expansion + base set?  I'll just buy the games and play in real life with my friends."
Do not confuse "I veto identical starting hands" with anything else. It's not all things ever, it's one specific thing.

Quote from: josh bornstein on 01 February 2017, 07:45:18 PM
I admit to being complete bemused as to why you are so doggedly against having it as an option on this site.
I have been over how I believe this feature would make the game worse for the players not specifically interested in it.
\
Donald, grats on designing a very successful game. I certianly enjoy it most of the time.

I don't necessirly feel strongly about this feature, but i do feel very strongly about your reaction to VETO saiod feature only because you don't like it. it is a "variant" of the game, just as much as manually picking kingdom cards is a variant.  You are making a VERY stupid and frankyl offensive decision to entirely veto this feature.

I say this because not only could this feature be easily implemented but could also be easily implemented on premade tables when you have unimanimous consent to play with the feature (Which would be the same things is if we all actually had the cards in hand and were playing at a physical table together).

if the feature was created with these restrictions, you have no logical reason to VETO the feature. You may still have the right as you can hard ball shuffleit by threatening not to renew their licensing, but it sends a really bad message to the community. It sends the message that even when all the players consent to play a particular way, YOU are the person standing between them saying no, you can't play that way, I wont allow it.

Donald X.

Quote from: Bmoan on 02 March 2017, 09:24:56 AMI don't necessirly feel strongly about this feature, but i do feel very strongly about your reaction to VETO saiod feature only because you don't like it. it is a "variant" of the game, just as much as manually picking kingdom cards is a variant.  You are making a VERY stupid and frankyl offensive decision to entirely veto this feature.
I will continue to be stupid and offensive here! I veto it. I feel like I've gone over my reasoning plenty; I don't require you to read it or agree with it.

Polk5440

Quote from: Bmoan on 02 March 2017, 09:24:56 AM
it is a "variant" of the game, just as much as manually picking kingdom cards is a variant. 

Not a variant.

From the rulebook:

"[T]he players also select 10 Kingdom
cards and place 10 of each in face-up piles
on the table....
[P]layers can choose the 10
Kingdom cards using any method they
agree on."

TheDetour

Totally against identical starting hands.  Hands are typically always equal - each player has the opportunity to either draw $5 or not to.  5/2 is generally better than 3/4... but not always.  If your opponent is the one with the $5 start, that just means you may have to work a little harder to get the win.

I'm OK with that.

I'm glad Donald X. stood up to that idea.  Thanks!