Matchmaking

Previous topic - Next topic

sprocket science

To begin with, just hitting 'good match' usually works for me. Going from isotropic to Goko, finding a game to join was the most painful change, so it's good that there already is an 'I just want to play' option.

It would be nice to have a bit more control over the matching process. Just as in setting up a kingdom, you might want to specify some properties of the game you would like to play. In a way, you can already do this by setting up a table, so integrating tables with automatching (i.e. clicking good match sends you to an open place at a table) could work. However, then there would have to be a button 'looking for automatch' at the table so you don't get sent to 'inactive' tables.

But that would still require you to either set up a table and wait, or to get sent to a table without any control. Potentially, two players who both want to e.g. play 'a Prosperity game' would then be sitting at separate tables, waiting. So the nicest thing would be to be able to specify constraints (the UI could even be the same as for setting up a table) and then be automatched based on them. So the two 'Prosperity' players would be matched instead of both waiting at a table. With the 'familiar cards' list you may potentially already have similar logic working in the background that could be extended in this direction. 

Going into a completely different direction, all players that currently are on the 'matching' page could be listed ('isotropic-style') so that you can suggest matches with specific people. I know that you see your friends' tables, but I don't add everybody with whom I have had a nice match to my friend list, yet might still want to play with them again when I happen to see them in the lobby.