Message Log - only includes first letter of name so is confusing

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercrack

Joining game #905861 on oregon.

SUMMARY:
Messages are very confusing since it only uses the first letter of the player's name (which was not obvious to me).

DETAILS:
When I first played, Swindler, I thought it was not working correctly. The message log shows (h is me, L is the bot).

h plays a Swindler.
L trashes a Chapel.
L gains an Estate.

The "L" actually looks like a little arrow indent, so I thought that it was saying that I played Swindler, then I trashed a Chapel and gained an Estate.  This would be incorrect card rule, but actually is not what happened. The Bot trashed and gained the Estate.

EXPECTED
If it displayed the player's name, it would be much less confusing.

hamstercrack plays a Swindler.
Lord Raddington trashes a Chapel.
Lord Raddington gains an Estate.

AdamH

It would be really great if we were able to specify an abbreviated form of our username to put here. I don't mind "A", but I think I'd prefer "Adam" over "Ad" or whatever else I might get. I also don't think these should be case-sensitive.

Of course, the software can override my choices in the case of conflicts, but this would be a neat feature to have that I think would be very popular.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: AdamH on 02 February 2017, 09:24:55 PM
It would be really great if we were able to specify an abbreviated form of our username to put here.

So then someone uses "   " as the abbreviation for their username.  Or they choose something less ridiculous but equally discordant with their username, like if I chose "DUDE" as my preferred abbreviation.

I think that would make the OP's issues much worse.

AdamH

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 02 February 2017, 09:37:13 PM
So then someone uses "   " as the abbreviation for their username.  Or they choose something less ridiculous but equally discordant with their username, like if I chose "DUDE" as my preferred abbreviation.

Quote from: AdamH on 02 February 2017, 09:24:55 PM
Of course, the software can override my choices in the case of conflicts, but this would be a neat feature to have that I think would be very popular.

So of course ridiculous things shouldn't be allowed, like I said.

RTT

I think the idea of an private abreviation is that only you see it and your opponent sees the default. Then there cant be any trolling.

AdamH

Aren't there already restrictions on usernames to prevent trolling? I feel like if you just use those, then cap the length at something, this should work just fine.

...but now that you mention it, it would be nice if the log displayed "You" for your own stuff, and of course that and its variants would be reserved so nobody could pick them. It would make the log much more readable.