Reasoning behind VP counter? Is there a FAQ?

Previous topic - Next topic

Cave-O-Sapien

First let me say that I prefer playing with a VP counter, and I suspect I know why it's the default, but I think it might be helpful to have that design decision explained somewhere.

Is there a FAQ where something like this could go?

AdamH

I suspect it's the default because the developers prefer to play games with VP counter enabled.

But it shouldn't be the default, and it should be only allowed when all players agree to it. It's a variant -- and whether it should be implemented at all is pretty questionable. And for sure it should always be disabled in Masquerade games with more than two players regardless of player preferences.

Unfortunately, even though there is a FAQ, it's unofficial. We haven't heard anything from the devs about this, so who knows what they're going to do and when especially since updates are getting less frequent and the devs seem to be opposed to doing any communication at all with their customers.

JW

The point counter is presumably on by default because the full log of the game is always included. If you have the full log, other than Masquerade it should always be possible to go back through the log and figure out the contents of everyone's deck, and therefore the point count. However, it would substantially slow the game down for people to scroll through the log and do this.

Another reasonable option would be to have a much more limited log (only showing each player's prior turn, and the current turn, for example), and to turn off the point counter by default. This presumably isn't done because the developers assume that most players prefer the full log/point counter.

I'll further note that it's much easier to spectate/watch streams or videos when the point counter is activated.

AdamH

Quote from: JW on 03 February 2017, 07:19:21 PM
I'll further note that it's much easier to spectate/watch streams or videos when the point counter is activated.

Yeah I agree with this, it's the reason I play with the VP counter on when I stream even though I'd really rather not use it.

...btw, I feel like VP counter should always be visible to spectators, regardless of preferences, yeah?