Music and Sound

Previous topic - Next topic

ZappNinja

I am so very happy to see that Dominion is back online. Thank you!! It would be really great to have some music and sounds effects while playing. I really enjoyed how the old game had both. The sound effects for special purchases, like gold, or victory cards were helpful. Sometimes I am reading my new hand and the bot takes a quick turn and I miss out on what they gained during the buy phase. I know I can read it in the side bar. But music and sound effects would make the game more fun.

Thanks for all you are doing for us Dominion lovers!!

AdamH

Quote from: ZappNinja on 03 February 2017, 06:50:39 PM
Sometimes I am reading my new hand and the bot takes a quick turn and I miss out on what they gained during the buy phase. I know I can read it in the side bar.

Adding in more relevant animations like this is currently on the list of priorities for the devs. The game currently relies way too much on the game log and one of the many consequences of that is that it's really hard to tell what's going on during your opponent's turn.

The answer would be for any cards gained on your opponents' turns to dance in front of you as they are gained, that would solve your issues, but would cover the cases when the opponent isn't gaining just Gold and Province on their turn.

...who knows when they will get to it, though. I think it's pretty far down on the list (number 6 here http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=512.0 -- and they haven't shown any demonstrable progress on number one, even though it's been two months since this list was posted), so I wouldn't hold my breath.

ThetaSigma12

Hmm, I swear stef posted somewhere that #1 should be availible in the next update.

Cave-O-Sapien

Agree with sound notifications, because even if I have the sound muted, the browser tab will display a little sound icon.

As for music, I think that's probably near the bottom of my personal wish list. I am quite happy to supply my own music.

allanfieldhouse

Sound effects can provide subtle context clues that can make playing the game easier/better.

Music on the other hand, isn't useful. Even if they pay someone to compose some cool new music, people would get tired of it. So my preference would be to not waste the time with anything music related. People can play their own music.

Game-relevant sounds would be great though!

JunkDealer

Thanks for adding game end sounds, however I think most people who want sound would agree that the priority should have been on the important game action sounds (turn notification/province/gold). I could be wrong on this, since I have no numbers or research to back it up.  Regardless, we have these new sounds and I somewhat like them.

I would ask that the loss sound only play the Dum.. Dum... once.  I don't think it's needed three times with a fade out.  Often less is more when it comes to the duration of sounds.

Just my two cents worth on this one.

SkyHard

Quote from: JunkDealer on 21 February 2017, 06:25:10 PM
I think most people who want sound would agree that the priority should have been on the important game action sounds (turn notification/province/gold).

I agree. Is it really that hard to implement?!

werothegreat

What I most want is a turn notification sound.

webnesto

Putting in my vote for:
- important sounds implemented (turn, province/colony purchase, gold/platinum purchase)
- capacity to mute all sounds
- capacity to mute sounds other than important (see above)

Stef

I'd say the most important one is "I need to make a decision now, while the previous decision was made by someone else".

Quite often that would be the start of your turn, but not always. (i.e. you also want the sound when opponent plays militia, and you don't need the sound if your turn starts but you just made the last bid with mountain pass). I'm not actually sure if you'd want the sound when your opponent is done selecting cards for your militia, but why not.

Polk5440

Nice end game victory sound effects. Thanks!

Hertz Doughnut

Quote from: Stef on 22 February 2017, 12:14:21 AM
I'd say the most important one is "I need to make a decision now, while the previous decision was made by someone else".

Quite often that would be the start of your turn, but not always. (i.e. you also want the sound when opponent plays militia, and you don't need the sound if your turn starts but you just made the last bid with mountain pass). I'm not actually sure if you'd want the sound when your opponent is done selecting cards for your militia, but why not.

Also, a sound when you click undo alerting them they need to grant it.

Kind regards,
HD

McFly

Now that there are endgame sound effects, it would be cool if I could turn them off. Adjustable volume would be nice as well.