News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Winning with debt?

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeal

I just played a game where on the last turn my opponent played a Capital. The last line of the log before shuffling and drawing was "G takes: 6 debt". I just got out my hard copy of the rules for Empires. My memory was correct. It's expressly stated you can't win with debt. Now I won't deny maybe there is something I do not know or understand but the statement in the rules seems pretty clear. There were four empty piles at the end of my opponent's turn so the game definitely had to end. Just not sure why my opponent got the win. Could someone either clue me in on what I'm missing or add this as a bug?

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere. I did a topic search and looked at the known bog list without luck before making this post.

werothegreat

Debt does not factor at all into who wins.  All Debt does is say "you can't buy cards until you pay me off".  That's it.  Nothing else.  You can certainly win the game whilst in Debt.

Watno

As far as I recall, the Empires rules explicitly say that you can win with debt.

tufftaeh

The PDF on the Rio Grande webpage (http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=1987) says:
QuoteHaving Debt tokens prevents a player from buying cards or Events; Debt tokens do nothing else
(for example they have no effect at the end of the game).
It doesn't say anything about winning but it seems pretty clear that this is possible.
Do you maybe have a different language version?

Funhaver

Quote from: TheSeal on 10 February 2017, 06:12:19 AM
I just got out my hard copy of the rules for Empires. My memory was correct. It's expressly stated you can't win with debt.
Would you mind sharing the actual quote? I'm intensely curious now. :D

Donald X.

Quote from: tufftaeh on 10 February 2017, 03:40:48 PM
The PDF on the Rio Grande webpage (http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=1987) says:
QuoteHaving Debt tokens prevents a player from buying cards or Events; Debt tokens do nothing else
(for example they have no effect at the end of the game).
It doesn't say anything about winning but it seems pretty clear that this is possible.
Do you maybe have a different language version?
Correct, you can win with Debt.

If a rulebook for a non-English version says otherwise, that's an error.