Can't Duplicate Sir Michael

Previous topic - Next topic

Grando

I called a Duplicate on Sir Michael, expecting it to give me the next card from the knights pile, Dame Josephine, but it did nothing instead.  Maybe this is how it is suppose to work since there is no exact duplicate of Sir Michael, so presumably it'd work this same way for split piles... so maybe this is just an interface issue in that it was so easy to waste my duplicate.

Donald X.

Quote from: Grando on 11 February 2017, 12:25:45 AM
I called a Duplicate on Sir Michael, expecting it to give me the next card from the knights pile, Dame Josephine, but it did nothing instead.  Maybe this is how it is suppose to work since there is no exact duplicate of Sir Michael, so presumably it'd work this same way for split piles... so maybe this is just an interface issue in that it was so easy to waste my duplicate.
Calling Duplicate on Sir Michael should be legal (like all the other legal almost-certainly-poor moves), but should fail to get you anything, as there are no copies of Sir Michael.

Grando

Your not wrong, but I just can't imagine someone doing it intentionally.  I think an extra warning dialog when duplicate isn't going to do anything would be really nice and solve both this case and many other cases which are almost always going to be unintentional and bad experiences.

Philip

Warning messages for a range of specific scenarios that have to be hard-coded in aren't a great solution; they are also not needed because we have the undo function for situations like the one you describe.

mark1878

However some people will always deny undo so you can't rely on undo for any functionality

TIE53

Quote from: Grando on 11 February 2017, 04:39:39 PM
Your not wrong, but I just can't imagine someone doing it intentionally.  I think an extra warning dialog when duplicate isn't going to do anything would be really nice and solve both this case and many other cases which are almost always going to be unintentional and bad experiences.

I could call duplicate on Sir Michael simply to get it off my mat, so I could trash it on my next turn to avoid losing points to Wolf Den for having a single Duplicate in my deck. 

The problem with the "warning" idea, is that there is almost always some far-fetched scenario in which doing something odd is beneficial.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Donald X. on 11 February 2017, 02:24:56 AM
Quote from: Grando on 11 February 2017, 12:25:45 AM
Calling Duplicate on Sir Michael should be legal (like all the other legal almost-certainly-poor moves), but should fail to get you anything, as there are no copies of Sir Michael.

I think it would be helpful, in these almost-certainly-poor moves, if the game log provided some information as to why "nothing" happened. There are several such instances in the game currently where "nothing" correctly happens, but the game provides absolutely no feedback to the user for WHY that is, leading to puzzled users and forum questions.

jeebus

Quote from: mark1878 on 24 February 2017, 01:47:20 PM
However some people will always deny undo so you can't rely on undo for any functionality

The solution is that undo-with-no-new-information-given should always be possible without having to request it.

faust

Quote from: TIE53 on 25 February 2017, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: Grando on 11 February 2017, 04:39:39 PM

I could call duplicate on Sir Michael simply to get it off my mat, so I could trash it on my next turn to avoid losing points to Wolf Den for having a single Duplicate in my deck. 

So you want to avoid losing points to Wolf Den, but you buy Sir Michael? :P