Escapers

Previous topic - Next topic

greyw01f

I suspect that it will be fairly unusual for people to "escape" from a game. But I had someone leave the table, and after I forced resign after the time limit expired I found them halfway through another game. Not sure if they could auto-resign if they join another game while they are currently in one, or prevented from joining another game. but I'm rather annoyed at the rudeness.

Watno

Are you sure? This shouldn't be happening, since you will always be reconencted to your unfinished game after leaving.

Stef

You can play 1 game at most. Indeed the only way "to get rid of the reconnect" is by some form of resigning.

(exceptions are when you have multiple accounts, or right after a release. Then you can have a game on the old version and another one on the new)

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: greyw01f on 14 February 2017, 11:24:18 PM
I suspect that it will be fairly unusual for people to "escape" from a game. But I had someone leave the table, and after I forced resign after the time limit expired I found them halfway through another game. Not sure if they could auto-resign if they join another game while they are currently in one, or prevented from joining another game. but I'm rather annoyed at the rudeness.

A) Let's not ascribe to malice what could be explained by technological failure. You don't know that they left the game on purpose, and you certainly don't know if their intent was to leave you stranded for 5 minutes while they started another game.

B) HOWEVER, I have seen people do exactly what you describe in other online games. Let's hope that's not what is going on here, and if it is, that whatever loophole enables this behavior can be eliminated.

C) Having said all of that, your use of the term "escape" is puzzling here. The suggestion that you wanted to imprison them in this game of Dominion so badly that you then tracked them down after they left is a little unsettling. If someone wants to resign, they should be able to without someone tracking them down.

greyw01f

I use the term escaper because it is the term used on a go server that I frequent. I have seen a pop up with a cancel button when I have been reconnecting to a game, and I assume that would return you to the lobby rather than a game in progress or signing you back out? I can't recall what prompted my curiosity, but I sought out my opponent afterwards because I got the distinct feeling that if it were possible to leave me in a game that they would do it. When I joined the new game my opponent was engaged in (directly after forcing them to resign) provinces had already been purchased. You are correct that it may be a technological malfunction, but regardless, it appeared to me that something had happened which should not be able to happen. perhaps this ought to be in bugs.

greyw01f

I have just spent 5 minuites trying to replicate using bot games, and am able to cancel my re-connection to a bot game ending up in the lobby, and being able to start a new bot game even though I haven't resigned the original game. I'll see if I can replicate with a friend later this evening, leaving a game with them open while I start a new quick match game.

greyw01f

And finally, I have discovered that yes in fact clicking cancel while the system tries to reconnect you does send you back to the lobby, where you are able to start another game while your original opponent waits. At this point I have found you are not able to rejoin the game, even as a spectator. Not sure if there are any further investigations I can do on this matter at the moment. Hope this information is helpful.

Philip

Quote from: greyw01f on 15 February 2017, 09:34:39 AM
And finally, I have discovered that yes in fact clicking cancel while the system tries to reconnect you does send you back to the lobby, where you are able to start another game while your original opponent waits. At this point I have found you are not able to rejoin the game, even as a spectator. Not sure if there are any further investigations I can do on this matter at the moment. Hope this information is helpful.

When a player clicks the cancel button when he's about to rejoin a game, he's thereby resigning. The idea is that the player still in the game gets notified of this immediately (i.e. by being presented the end screen), but I just confirmed that somehow this is not the case.

yed

The button to cancel the reconnect should have a label "Cancel (resign)".