Detailed point tracker during the game?

Previous topic - Next topic

a_mandible

Is there a way to see something like the endgame screen during the game? With landmarks like Keep and Wolf Den it would be very useful.

If there isn't a way, I hope there might someday be. I realize that some people don't like having the point tracker at all. But if it's going to be there in the first place, simulating a game where all players have a perfect memory, then it should include the details. Otherwise you get weird situations like a Keep game where someone with several buys spends the first one on Silver to see if anything happens, i.e. using the point tracker as an oracle. This strikes me as even less appealing than EITHER having all the details visible, or having secret point scores like in the printed version of the game.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: a_mandible on 01 March 2017, 05:36:50 AM
Otherwise you get weird situations like a Keep game where someone with several buys spends the first one on Silver to see if anything happens, i.e. using the point tracker as an oracle. This strikes me as even less appealing than EITHER having all the details visible, or having secret point scores like in the printed version of the game.

I can also see people buying a Silver in this situation, then requesting an Undo.

Stef

I'm open for suggestions, but I don't think we should add what you're asking for here. Certainly not as default. The goal of the point tracker is not to simulate perfect memory. It has one very specific goal: to stop people from dragging out games.

Without the point tracker, a very common scenario would be: one of the players ends up with a better deck, and also managed to score more points. He or she just isn't very sure about this. And instead of buying the last Province, why not buy a Duchy, opponent can't afford that Province anyway. This could go on for some more turns. If you're not certain about the relative score, it's quite often actually the best play to drag it out. Increase what you think is 98% win chance to a 99% win chance.

I think it's just more fun for everyone if this doesn't happen. That, and I got used to it.

a_mandible

That's interesting, and good to know. I didn't realize that was where the point tracker had come from.

That said, I think the same logic does tilt in the direction of giving other scoring information. In fact, the game which inspired my post was one where two piles were empty, and I had to decide whether to buy the last Silk Road. If I did and it was worth 2 points I would win. If it was only 1 point, I would lose.

I did buy it, and it was my 8th Victory card, so I won. But had I been the sort of person who drags games out in the hope of a sure thing, I would have dragged that one out. It's much less common than the situation you describe, but when it comes up, the motivations are the same.

Maybe when zoomed in on a card, the client could show how your score would change if you bought it? I'm trying to think of the minimal amount of information that would support my use case.

SkyHard

Quote from: a_mandible on 01 March 2017, 05:36:50 AM
Is there a way to see something like the endgame screen during the game? With landmarks like Keep and Wolf Den it would be very useful.

I hope not. It would remove one important aspect from the game. However, I fear that some day someone will build a plugin to do exactly that...