Streamlined discard interface for Quest

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingix

I suggest changing the discard interface of Quest as follows:

Display a "Don't discard" button, but also make all the cards in user's hand click-able. Let the user click on the card(s) he wants to discard. Display the "Undo" button when appropriate to allow a new choice. But the important part: Show a "Discard to gain a Gold" button only when the selected cards match what Quests requires: It must be exactly one attack or exactly 2 Curses or exactly 6 cards. In order to accommodate the rulings on Quest, in case exactly one Curse is selected or all the cards (but less than 6) are selected, display a "Discard, but gain no Gold" button (with a blood-red background or something similar so that it is understood immediately that this is not what you usually want).

A player buys the Quest event knowing exactly what he wants to discard, because there is no knew information gained during Quest's resolution. With the current implementation, he has to first select 1 of 4 buttons, then he has to select the cards to discard.

In the real life card game, I'm not announcing first that I discard Curses and then discard the Curses, I just discard them and everybody can see that I did something legal. My proposed change would bring the interface in line with the philosophy that the player should 'just' select cards as often as possible and that artificial buttons should be restricted to a minimum. Sometimes they are necessary, but in this case they are IMO superfluous.

jeebus

I actually don't think it's a big problem the way it is now. There are many other interface problems that I would put ahead of this.

In your idea, it must always be possible to click all the cards in your hand if you have less than 6, and then if you do, the "Discard, but gain no Gold" displays. It seems like this would be very complicated to implement correctly. There are many scenarios to consider. I'm not even sure the appearing and disappearing buttons would make this clearer for the user than it is now.