Resigning during opponents' turn

Previous topic - Next topic

JunkDealer

Quote from: SkyHard on 10 March 2017, 10:17:41 AM
What do you need the text box for? On the end screen you will see that the other player resigned.

Jacob's suggestion was I think combining the resignation issue with the sudden and hard to determine game ending issue.

I think this delves into a different debate, but I'll add my 2 cents anyhow.  The end screen is too abrupt as it is (without final turns often being played and no obvious indication why a game ended).  I still feel a certain disappointment/shock when it comes up and I sit there for a minute trying to figure out why the game ended.  I should note that if I'm the one to end it and I have deliberately ended it (ie triggered it knowingly) I don't feel the same way, but sometimes I'm less focused on the game and I'm the one who triggered the end and am not sure why it ended.

A pop up on resignation at least allows for a slightly less abrupt end in that case.  However, I think if the game end condition was more obvious on the score screen (in all cases) I would be less concerned with a sudden Game Over! 

SkyHard

Quote from: JunkDealer on 10 March 2017, 05:25:56 PM
The end screen is too abrupt as it is

I totally agree. Especially against a bot it is really annoying. But that is another thing and has already been reported.

Jacob Marley

The way I was envisioning it is that the text box overlays the gameboard (like the current box giving the status of play), so you have a message as to what just happened (the game ended) rather than just being jerked out of the game screen to the end screen.  It's more psychological than anything else.  The way I see it, part of the problem is that the game ends abruptly and pulls you to a different screen.  Even if the information is there in the post game screen, I have not caught up mentally, so the game feels somehow incomplete.  But maybe its just me.

jeebus

Quote from: Mike Thicke on 09 March 2017, 01:54:06 AM
This whole thread is absurd. If I screw up the opening in chess and put myself in a losing position against a competent opponent, I'm not going to sit around for 30 minutes waiting for my inevitable loss.

This whole thread is not about removing the option to resign, as you for some weird (and absurd) reason seem to think.

jeebus

Quote from: AdamH on 09 March 2017, 06:39:58 PM
Whatever problems people have with etiquette on resigning are not fixed by restricting when/how people can resign, because they can just pull the plug and leave, which causes all the same issues we had with resigning, only now you have to wait 4 minutes because you took away the opponent's ability to tell you they're not coming back.

I understand that this is a legitimate concern. But I don't remember it being a problem on Isotropic, even after the influx of new players caused some forum participants to wonder about the "loss of civility" in the game chat.

And as I stated above, the player who pulls the plug also has to wait the full 4 minutes to start another game, so I can't believe that in almost all cases, the player wouldn't just rather wait until their turn to resign.

TheDetour

I definitely think that the game should do a better job of communicating why the game is over.

As far as etiquette, I don't think I have a position on it.  I do know that I like it far better than people saying "GG" after a game... particularly a lopsided win.  I hate that more than anything in the entire game probably.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: TheDetour on 23 March 2017, 09:11:20 AM
I definitely think that the game should do a better job of communicating why the game is over.

As far as etiquette, I don't think I have a position on it.  I do know that I like it far better than people saying "GG" after a game... particularly a lopsided win.  I hate that more than anything in the entire game probably.

Honestly curious here: what is the appropriate thing to say after a game in which you destroy your opponent?

"gg" can mean so many different things...

Jacob Marley

"Thanks for the Game" seems neutral enough, though many people do not stay long enough to see it, but that's ok too.

Sharajat

The person who lost is the person who says gg or whatever.  If you won, don't say anything until they do.

If you have to, "Thanks for the games" is appropriate. 

Bonus douche points if you say gg when the game is several turns away from completing. 

jeebus

Quote from: Sharajat on 24 March 2017, 08:10:44 PM
Bonus douche points if you say gg when the game is several turns away from completing.

Even saying it during your last turn right before you're about to win is pretty douchy to me.

Donald X.

Quote from: jeebus on 03 March 2017, 07:39:56 PM
Why not? Having a resign button is a variant in any case, just like a VP counter. The rules say nothing about being able to resign.
When I say "I'm not playing this game anymore," that's an action I take outside the game. The game rules don't cover that and can't cover that. So no, it's not a variant.

Obviously with no other options I can always resign a computer game by just closing the tab. So you should be able to more-gracefully resign at any time, like you can, hooray.

Obviously if anyone is sad they didn't get to see their big turn finish, the solution is to let them keep playing against an AI. There's no need to make a human suffer through it.

kieranmillar

I'm surprised many people seem to think saying gg counts as being douchy. I try to say it after every game because I thought it was considered polite. Also because at the end of every game my browser freezes for a short while while it reveals all of the log details I try to say it just before I end the game otherwise people tend to leave before I get to say anything or respond to their gg and I figured not being seen to say anything made me look rude.

Should I not be doing this?

AdamH

Quote from: kieranmillar on 28 March 2017, 08:49:05 AM
I'm surprised many people seem to think saying gg counts as being douchy. I try to say it after every game because I thought it was considered polite. Also because at the end of every game my browser freezes for a short while while it reveals all of the log details I try to say it just before I end the game otherwise people tend to leave before I get to say anything or respond to their gg and I figured not being seen to say anything made me look rude.

Should I not be doing this?

There is nothing you can do that will please everyone on this front -- someone will manage to find what you do rude.

My solution is "you do you bae"

Sometimes I feel like typing gg, sometimes I don't. I just like to let the universe decide.

jeebus

Quote from: Donald X. on 28 March 2017, 02:34:37 AM
Quote from: jeebus on 03 March 2017, 07:39:56 PM
Why not? Having a resign button is a variant in any case, just like a VP counter. The rules say nothing about being able to resign.
When I say "I'm not playing this game anymore," that's an action I take outside the game. The game rules don't cover that and can't cover that. So no, it's not a variant.

Obviously with no other options I can always resign a computer game by just closing the tab. So you should be able to more-gracefully resign at any time, like you can, hooray.

Obviously if anyone is sad they didn't get to see their big turn finish, the solution is to let them keep playing against an AI. There's no need to make a human suffer through it.

Ok, "variant" was the wrong word then. I just meant that there is nothing in the Dominion rules that say that you have to have a resign button to properly implement it, exactly as is the case for the VP counter. (As a reply to Philip who seemed to suggest that was the case.) It's just that not having it (resign button or VP counter) creates certain problems.

I definitely agree that it's much better to have a resign button. I don't think it needs to be there when it's not your turn. I'm quite convinced that it would not create any significant problems for anybody if it was just there on your turn. It would create a problem though, namely that some players sometimes have to wait for a little bit more time than they would have liked (that time being less than one turn). It would also solve a problem, which I have outlined before. Many people might see that problem as being a small one too. In the end I don't think it would impact the majority of people in a huge way either way.

Donald X.

Quote from: jeebus on 28 March 2017, 05:57:11 PM
I definitely agree that it's much better to have a resign button. I don't think it needs to be there when it's not your turn. I'm quite convinced that it would not create any significant problems for anybody if it was just there on your turn. It would create a problem though, namely that some players sometimes have to wait for a little bit more time than they would have liked (that time being less than one turn). It would also solve a problem, which I have outlined before. Many people might see that problem as being a small one too. In the end I don't think it would impact the majority of people in a huge way either way.
The lack of a button on other players' turns would not cause players to wait longer than they would have liked; it would cause them to close the tab. It's just strictly negative.