Multiple Watchtower React

Previous topic - Next topic

tufftaeh

#1660046 on tokyo (The Do-Operator vs sorawotobu), tunrn 7 sorawotobu:
He plays a Rats, draws a Rats, trashes the gained Rats with Watchtower, draws a Silver, trashes a Curse.
So far so good.
Now he plays another Rats, draws a Rats, trashes the gained Rats with Watchtower, draws another Watchtower, and now he is asked to react again (probably with that new Watchtower). He clicks "Trash" and promptly draws a third Watchtower. He clicks "Trash" again and draws an Estate. Now he can finally trash something (the Estate) with the (second) Rats, and he has 7 cards in hand.
He plays a third Rats, draws a Copper and trashes the gained Rats with Watchtower. Now there are four messages "Watchtower loses track of Rats (it moved).". He draws a Copper and trashes an Estate.
So it looks like somehow either the newly drawn Watchtower has special powers (not losing track), maybe only if the Rats drew a Rats before the gained Rats was trashed.
Or I'm all wrong and this is correct by the rules...

Ingix

I just replayed the situation, and it happened exactly as tufftaeh described. According to my understanding of the rules, it is correct up until

Now he plays another Rats, draws a Rats, trashes the gained Rats with Watchtower, draws another Watchtower, and now he is asked to react again (probably with that new Watchtower).

The game is still handling reactions to "player gained a card (Rats)", and the newly drawn Watchtower is able to react to that. But then it continues strangely:

He clicks "Trash" and promptly draws a third Watchtower. He clicks "Trash" again and draws an Estate.

Both of these draws shouldn't happen. The only conceivable reason for a card to be drawn now is that a Rats was trashed. But according to long standing rulings:

a) The new Watchtower, who expects the Rats to be in the discard pile, shouldn't be able to 'find' it in the trash (it lost track), and
b) trashing a card that's already in the trash isn't doing anything, it doesn't fullfil "if you do"-clauses and doesn't trigger a trashing-trigger

I can only assume that somehow the bookkeeping got mixed up, as finally (too late) the messages about the Watchtower loosing track come up.

jeebus

Yes, all Watchtowers, newly drawn or not, should lose track of the card once it's trashed. It seems the program only tracks whether "existing" Watchtowers have track of the card. I suspect this will be a difficult one to solve, because it could mean that the underlying lose track implementation needs to be changed.