German, Japanese, Russian version - just one question ...

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin plays Piano

Just wondering, that really so many players are awaiting a German or Japanese version, because this was announced in the last post from Stef

http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1588.msg5510#msg5510

Yet with the Russian version some weeks ago I was asking myself "wow, why is this that important to be implemented more or less first?":

- I am doing quite a lot of games, but never met any player from Russia or Japan, and if so, they could speak English
    - I am German, and I am being used to the English cards since years (Goko, MF) – so I'll rather don't switch to the German version, because I am sure, the new card titles will confuse me (but I will give it a try)
    - In the thread "what I am missing most" I am not aware that anyone had the wish of further language versions[/li]
...  so there must be something else what gives priority to it.

Perhaps I have the totally wrong world view on the market potentials of Dominion – so please see this post more under the circumstances of my own curiosity rather than criticising this.
If I had to give a guess to the distribution of players, I would say 90% are located in Europe and USA – and nearly 98% of those speak English – so my personal view is dominated from English speaking buddies ... - and my assumption is, that only a little minority is waiting for translations ...

... but perhaps this has to be revised soon, so welcome on board all you Russians, Japanese and non-English-speaking Germans – are there really so many of you?
(but ok, I am quite aware that this English forum is not the best communication platform to address this group of players ...  ;))

werothegreat

Couple things:
-It's pretty easy to add language support, particularly since the translations are being provided by volunteers who are native speakers of the language
-I'm sure it'd be similarly easy for Stef and co. to check the statistics to see how many players are using the Russian version
-Maybe they're trying to reach new markets?  Sure, most players speak English, but maybe having Russian/German/Japanese ability will convince new players to try?

Not saying they shouldn't have other priorities, just making some points.

Burning Skull

Я очень хочу играть, но ничего не понятно. Пожалуйста, помогите!!!

Hertz Doughnut

I agree with Wero.  My guess is that it's relatively simple to add language support... just add a column to the database and insert the text that was donated by volunteers.  Very little testing is required, because all the cards already function correctly.

And yet, the potential payoff is huge.  Thus, any entrepreneur would prioritize those types of projects first.

Kind regards,
HD

Philip

Two points:

1. The application was designed with multilinguality in mind from the start, so adding a language now isn't a lot of work. Of course it's some, but I'm not going to tell our translators "thanks for all your hard work, maybe we'll use it sometime in 2018."

2. After the US, Japan and Germany provide Dominion's biggest markets. And while it's true that most Germans are graced with a basic competency in English, this is decidedly not the case for many Japanese.

Hertz Doughnut

Thanks for the reply, Philip.  I guess that also explains why we have games hosted in Frankfurt and Tokyo.

I'm curious... I speak not Japanese.  Is there a possibility of me being paired with someone who logged into the Japanese version when I click "Good Match"?

Kind regards,
HD

Philip

Yes, language settings aren't taken into account during matching.

werothegreat

Quote from: Burning Skull on 10 March 2017, 07:07:18 PM

I am surprised that I was able to understand this without resorting to Google Translate

SkyHard

I have no problem with english. Indeed, I am used to it by now (due to MF and Goko). However, I still prefer to have the german version. Why? Because in IRL I do play with my familly and friends with the german version.

Martin plays Piano

Quote from: werothegreat on 11 March 2017, 01:52:04 AM
Quote from: Burning Skull on 10 March 2017, 07:07:18 PM

I am surprised that I was able to understand this without resorting to Google Translate

Ok, I had to resort to the online translators which said to me something like "I want to play much more, but nothing is clear – so please help me !!

I am quite struggling with this, because I heard about Burning Skull being a very experienced player with several (English) posts in the Dominion Strategy forum as well – so perhaps I missed something, or the post was meant as an ironical one (and I didn't get the point) – or it is a kind of general complaint which somebody can take into account, if it would be more precise.

Nevertheless, Burning Skull, be my first Russian (or Russian speaking) buddy on my list ... my user name is Rachmaninoff, which is Russian as well, but I am more familiar with Russian music rather than with Russian language.

Burning Skull

Quote from: Martin plays Piano on 11 March 2017, 09:12:08 AM
Nevertheless, Burning Skull, be my first Russian (or Russian speaking) buddy on my list ... my user name is Rachmaninoff, which is Russian as well, but I am more familiar with Russian music rather than with Russian language.

Isle of the Dead is my favourite one :)

Martin plays Piano

To boost the "burning skull feeling"  :D  I recommend the organ version of Rac's 'Isle of the Dead' with HJ Albrecht - you will find it on Spotify and Apple Music - hardcore for your speakers and also for your ears ... - and for sure no music for sunny sundays ...

Have fun
Rachmaninoff

Luciferous

Quote from: Martin plays Piano on 12 March 2017, 09:45:04 PM
To boost the "burning skull feeling"  :D  I recommend the organ version of Rac's 'Isle of the Dead' with HJ Albrecht - you will find it on Spotify and Apple Music - hardcore for your speakers and also for your ears ... - and for sure no music for sunny sundays ...

Have fun
Rachmaninoff

...but perfect for starting work on a grim Monday morning.

WhiteRabbit1981

Quotebut never met any player from Russia or Japan, and if so, they could speak English
You did never meet japanese players who are unable to read/write/play in english because there is no japanese version. How should these ppl play?

LaLight

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 13 March 2017, 11:42:44 AM
Quotebut never met any player from Russia or Japan, and if so, they could speak English
You did never meet japanese players who are unable to read/write/play in english because there is no japanese version. How should these ppl play?

Well, to add. I am russian, I am quite a good english speaker as you can see. But my relatives and friends, who don't speak english, only now have got a chance to play online with expansions we don't have in Russia (and won't have). There are such people and there is a need for translated versions :)