how do I know how well or badly I am doing?

Previous topic - Next topic

Judybee

I'm a pretty new and casual player, I want to improve my game, but not sure how I can monitor this. If I play against the bot, I often win, but with real people that is not the case.

Also I am not sure what the difference between good match and quick match is.

I started to play on last platform and found the base adventures were good for learning

Philip

There'll be a rating system with leaderboard soon (the target is this month), which should allow you to track how well you're doing over time.

Quick Match matches you with whoever is available, whereas Good Match takes your rating into account. Right now the rating is based on a snapshot taken from the isotropish leaderboard at the end of last year, but when we release the rating/leaderboard our own thing will be used.

SkyHard

Quote from: Philip on 15 March 2017, 04:28:12 PMRight now the rating is based on a snapshot taken from the isotropish leaderboard at the end of last year, but when we release the rating/leaderboard our own thing will be used.

Does that mean, if I never played on isotropic, I am only matched against the worst right now?

Philip

Quote from: SkyHard on 15 March 2017, 05:32:39 PM
Quote from: Philip on 15 March 2017, 04:28:12 PMRight now the rating is based on a snapshot taken from the isotropish leaderboard at the end of last year, but when we release the rating/leaderboard our own thing will be used.

Does that mean, if I never played on isotropic, I am only matched against the worst right now?

Not isotropic, the isotropish leaderboard was based on Goko/MF. If you haven't played there you will be rated as average.

ffejselur

1. I guess I'm confused about Good Match. Today I clicked on it, for the briefest moment the screen that would allow me to cancel appeared, then I went right to the black screen with the castle and spinning circle and waited several minutes. I thought I would be able to cancel until a match was found. Please help.

2. Are game results currently being logged in secret, or will we all start even and let our skill determine our rankings anew? Between here and f.ds I think I've read both that there's "no-fault" resigning for now since results aren't being tracked, and that results are being logged. Which is it? Thanks.

Jacob Marley

I think the spinning castle screen means that you were matched with an opponent and the game was trying to start.  If there was a sizable delay, that is a connection issue, not waiting for an opponent.

Philip

Quote1. I guess I'm confused about Good Match. Today I clicked on it, for the briefest moment the screen that would allow me to cancel appeared, then I went right to the black screen with the castle and spinning circle and waited several minutes. I thought I would be able to cancel until a match was found. Please help.

If you get to the castle screen that means a match has been found and it's now being loaded. If it doesn't load that's indicative of a bug. If next time you want to report it it's helpful to copy whatever the browser console says (ctrl+shift+j/cmd+option+j), particularly the game number and the last few lines so we can see at what point it got stuck.

Quote from: ffejselur on 15 March 2017, 08:11:58 PM
2. Are game results currently being logged in secret, or will we all start even and let our skill determine our rankings anew? Between here and f.ds I think I've read both that there's "no-fault" resigning for now since results aren't being tracked, and that results are being logged. Which is it? Thanks.

Games are being recorded, but we won't use the current games for the rating system. You will get a fresh start once the rating system is introduced.

ffejselur

Quote from: Philip on 16 March 2017, 09:26:00 AM
If you get to the castle screen that means a match has been found and it's now being loaded. If it doesn't load that's indicative of a bug. If next time you want to report it it's helpful to copy whatever the browser console says (ctrl+shift+j/cmd+option+j), particularly the game number and the last few lines so we can see at what point it got stuck.
Will do, thanks.