Sprawling Castle - wrong decision maker

Previous topic - Next topic

faust

I played a game with Castles and Governor. At one point, my opponent decided to Remodel his Opulant Castle into a Sprawling Castle in response to my Governor play.

The game then went on to let me decide whether my opponent should gain a Duchy or 3 Estates.

Unfortunately I accidentally closed the tab before writing down the game number, but I assume it can be recreated.

jeebus

This is a weird bug to me, because it means that the game is not properly programmed so that the decision maker is the one being referenced (the "you") on the card - "when you gain this".

I guess that, instead of to "you", the decision is given to the active player. That's the weird part, because I can't think of any card that should reference the active player. "You" on cards is not the active player, "you" is any player. It's just that the active player has the power to play cards and buy cards/Events. (Any player can use a Reaction card for instance.)

It makes me wonder who will get to decide whether I gain a Duchess if I gain a Duchy when it's not my turn. Similar problems could exist with Inn, Border Village, Squire, Catacombs, Duplicate and Stash. They each can give decisions to a non-active player. Other cards that do this are of course the Reactions, but maybe they have been special-coded.

Stef

Quote from: jeebus on 28 March 2017, 05:47:10 PM
This is a weird bug to me, because it means that the game is not properly programmed so that the decision maker is the one being referenced (the "you") on the card - "when you gain this".

I guess that, instead of to "you", the decision is given to the active player. That's the weird part, because I can't think of any card that should reference the active player. "You" on cards is not the active player, "you" is any player. It's just that the active player has the power to play cards and buy cards/Events. (Any player can use a Reaction card for instance.)

It makes me wonder who will get to decide whether I gain a Duchess if I gain a Duchy when it's not my turn. Similar problems could exist with Inn, Border Village, Squire, Catacombs, Duplicate and Stash. They each can give decisions to a non-active player. Other cards that do this are of course the Reactions, but maybe they have been special-coded.

I indeed will have to check most of them, and have fixed some others before. There is a default that lets stuff happen to the active player, which probably shouldn't have been there at all. If I don't use the default but specify   manually there is no problem.