[German translation] Collection of issues

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyduck

I've taken a close look at the German translation. It seems to be very solid, the translators have been doing a great job!  I really like that articles and even plural forms have been considered and implemented correctly:

L spielt einen Gesandten.
P spielt eine Brücke.
P zieht ein Kupfer, ein Silber, ein Anwesen und 2 Blutzölle.

Really cool! :)

Nevertheless, I've found some small issues in the log:

QuoteEs ist deine Kaufphase, du darfst...
• Karten kaufe.

Should be "Karten kaufen"

QuoteTrete Spiel #2085283 auf frankfurt bei.

Should be "Tritt Spiel #2085283 auf frankfurt bei." or "Spiel #2085283 auf frankfurt beigetreten."

QuoteBetween turns

Obviously, the translation is missing here.

QuoteP legt eine Beute zurück in dem Beute-Stapel.

Should be "P legt eine Beute zurück in den Beute-Stapel." or "P legt eine Beute zurück auf den Beute-Stapel."

QuoteDu nehmen eine Universität
und...
• darf Wachturm aufdecken zum Entsorgen.
• darf Wachturm aufdecken zum auf den Nachziehstapel legen.

Should be
Du nimmst eine Universität
und...
darfst Wachturm aufdecken zum Entsorgen.
darfst Wachturm aufdecken zum auf den Nachziehstapel legen.

Horn Of Plenty:
QuoteNimm dir eine Karte, die bis zu 5 Geld kostet. Es eine Punktekarte ist, entsorge diese Karte.

Should be "Nimm dir eine Karte, die bis zu 5 Geld kostet. Wenn es eine Punktekarte ist, entsorge diese Karte."

markus

Adding to that, I think that "Quick Match" and "Good Match" are not translated well, as "Spiel" has match's meaning of "game" and not "pairing". I'd suggest "Schneller Gegner" and "Guter Gegner" or "Vergleichbarer Gegner". Then, at least it's as understandable as in English.
"Bot-Spiel" could stay as is.

Psyduck

QuoteP nimmt eine Gärten.

This is difficult, as "Gärten" is already the plural form of "Garten". I'd suggest omitting the article in this case:

"P nimmt Gärten."

Ingix

At least on my system (Windows 8.1, Firefox) the German name of the event "Defiled Shrine" (Entweihter Schrein) is just a very little bit to long, such that the vertical stroke of the beginning "E" and the last vertical stroke of the ending "N" are not visible.

++++

The text for Defiled Shrine/Entweihter Schrein says in the setup part to put 2 VP on each "Nicht-Sammlung-Aktions-Vorratsstapel". In english that would be "Non-Gathering-Action-Supply pile". Please note that the original english version has this part as "non-Gathering Action Supply pile". The crucial difference is that the english version makes it clear that the "non" refers to the "Gathering" part only.

The german version could very easily be interpreted to have the "non" also apply to the Action attribute. What happened is that the German tendency to connect some words with hyphens has made the totally readable english version, which has only one hypen for clarity, into a not so clear german version with 3 hyphens.

The actual printed german card uses a clearer but longer wording that puts the negation in a separate clause. I would suggest the following

Spielvorbereitung: Lege 2SP auf jeden Aktions-Vorratsstapel ohne den Typ Sammmlung.
(Setup: Put 2VP on each action supply pile without the type Gathering.)

++++

All landmarks, when viewed, still show the text "Landmark" in the upper right, when it should be "Landmarke". The same for Event/Ereignis

Psyduck

QuoteF kauft und nimmt eine Köngigliche Münze.

Should be "Königliche Münze"

QuoteP kauft und nimmt ein Weiser.

Should be "P kauft und nimmt einen Weisen."

Rebuild:
QuoteNimm dir eine Punktekarte, die bis zu 8 Geld mehr kostet.

Should be "Nimm dir eine Punktekarte, die bis zu 8 Geld kostet."

Ingix

Quote from: Psyduck on 21 March 2017, 09:45:02 PM
Rebuild:

No, the problem is that Rebuild wants a victory card that cost up to 3 more, not up to 8 more.

++++

In addition, the same Problem as with Gardens/Gärten happens with Survivors/Überlebende. This word is already Plural, so omitting the article sounds like a good solution. It looks like this got flagged incorrectly as female ("R nimmt eine Überlebende"), which may be because "Überlebende" itself is the female version of a (single) survivor. But in this case it is supposed to refer to many survivors (as the English name says).

assemble_me

Thanks for the input and the commendation so far.

Should be "Tritt Spiel #2085283 auf frankfurt bei." or "Spiel #2085283 auf frankfurt beigetreten."

I kind of disagree here. Maybe the wording is a bit odd, but this refers to the progress of joining, so it's not technically wrong.
But maybe can have something nicer still.

Quote from: Ingix on 21 March 2017, 11:34:59 PM
Quote from: Psyduck on 21 March 2017, 09:45:02 PM
Rebuild:

No, the problem is that Rebuild wants a victory card that cost up to 3 more, not up to 8 more.

Psyduck was right there. When Rebuild resolves, the client knows how much the trashed card costs, so there doesn't need to be a wording with "3 more", instead you're told how much the card your gaining may cost exactly.

I agree with anything else that was mentioned. The University/Watchtower thing was really entertaining ;). Many issues mentioned be fixed soon.

Psyduck

Quote from: assemble_me on 22 March 2017, 08:00:18 AM
Thanks for the input and the commendation so far.

I kind of disagree here. Maybe the wording is a bit odd, but this refers to the progress of joining, so it's not technically wrong.
But maybe can have something nicer still.

I can see your point here. I think it depends on which singular person is meant:

• 1 person (I): Ich trete
  • 3. person (he/she/it): Er/sie/es tritt

For me, it's the 3. person, as the other log entries also refer to the 3. person (Player x buys/gains/trashes/...).

In general, I can only repeat that you've done a really good job with the translations!

assemble_me

Quote from: Psyduck on 22 March 2017, 12:39:22 PM
For me, it's the 3. person, as the other log entries also refer to the 3. person (Player x buys/gains/trashes/...).

In general, I can only repeat that you've done a really good job with the translations!

I still disagree about that one. It's not part of the game log, it doesn't appear there. I think, the client tells you what it's doing there. That's why it's 1st person to me. However, we don't really have to discuss about this further,
Yesterday, I already changed this to
"Du trittst Spiel #[num] auf [server] bei" ;)

Thanks again, lots of the credits go to drsteelhammer who translated a big chunk of the cards and the people who tested the German version, especially tufftaeh, who checked all our card translations and sent lots of remarks

Psyduck

QuoteP spielt einen Riese.

Should be "P spielt einen Riesen."

QuoteDu start your turn und...

Should be "Du startest deinen Zug und..."

Ingix

>I zieht eine Vogelfreie

This is Band of Misfits, so Vogelfreie is plural, not female, as the article suggests.

Psyduck

QuoteP spielt ein Handlanger.

Should be "P spielt einen Handlanger."

QuoteP kauft eine Queste.

Should be "P kauft eine Quest."

QuoteP spielt ein Lakai.

Should be "P spielt einen Lakaien."

Ingix

When getting the Wine Merchant back from the Tavern mat:

> Du END_OF_BUY_PHASE und...

-->

Du beendest die Kaufphase und...

tufftaeh

Psyduck

QuoteWachturm hat den Anschluss an Fluch verloren (es wurde in einen anderen Bereich bewegt).

Should be "Wachturm hat den Anschluss an den/einen Fluch verloren (er wurde in einen anderen Bereich bewegt)." or something similar.

Not in the log, but since is the translation thread..
In the table configuration, the option to load an old game says:
QuoteAltes spiel laden

Should be "Altes Spiel laden"