[German translation] Collection of issues

Previous topic - Next topic

tufftaeh

Not in the log, but as this is the translation thread:
Reveal area shows English card names (but German card texts).

trazoM

"Decke Kupfer auf" when playing settlers should be "Nehme Kupfer" oder "Nehme ein Kupfer".

tufftaeh

"D erhält ein Flüchtling."
"D spielt ein Flüchtling."

Psyduck

Quote from: trazoM on 27 March 2017, 08:37:53 PM
"Decke Kupfer auf" when playing settlers should be "Nehme Kupfer" oder "Nehme ein Kupfer".

Nimm. Nimm!

Ingix

Card text of Transformation, at the end:

... und dir eine Karte auf die Hand zu nehmen, die bis zu (1coin-symbol) mehr kostet.

The bold die is missing from the text.

tufftaeh

"g legt eine Verrückten zurück in dem Verrückter-Stapel." Drei auf einen Streich...

assemble_me

Unfortunately, the pile thing will be a bit harder to fix. :(

I kind of disagree with that one. The problem is "Nimm Kupfer" could suggest that you actually "gain" it. (That gain->nehmen translation of the original German translators is so terrible) Also the card text says that you reveal the copper and then put it into your hand, so I think "Decke Kupfer auf" is an all right compromise.

tufftaeh

"Nimm Kupfer auf"?
"Kupfer auf die Hand"?
These buttons need to be wider... ;)

trazoM

Quote from: Psyduck on 28 March 2017, 08:42:05 AM
Quote from: trazoM on 27 March 2017, 08:37:53 PM

Nimm. Nimm!

Well, are all buttons imperative? I thought of it as a description what it do, so "Nehme Kupfer" would be appropriate. At least that is, what I tell real players if I do something.
Probably you are right.

tufftaeh

"b wünscht sich Geschichtenerzähler und findet es."

Ingix

At the end Screen, in the victory point detail list, for Wolf Den/Wolfsbau it gives me -6VP and says "genau ein ein Gold und ein Herzogtum" , where the last "ein" together with "Gold" is in a yellow color.

For Lord Rattington, it gives 0VP and says "genau ein nichts", which translates to "exactly one nothing". It's quite a bit of poetry, probably unintended.

tufftaeh

"D trashes nothing" -> "D konnte nichts entsorgen" is not exactly correct (Bonfire)

Ingix

Does the game know about different declensions needed for different purposes in German (and other languages as well)? In English, different forms are used for singular/plural, otherwise they are the same (my limited amount of English grammer may make me look like a fool now).

For example

"This is a wine merchant", "I talk to a wine merchant", "I play a Wine Merchant"

all use the same phrase in english: "a wine merchant". In German, these require different declensions, mostly recognizable in the form of "ein":

"Das ist ein Weinhändler" (Nominativ), "Ich rede mit einem Weinhändler" (Dativ), "Ich spiele einen Weinhändler" (Akkusativ).

Most actions in Dominion use the Akkusativ in German (play,draw,gain), and many of the corrections we see in this thread show this. But in a few cases the Nominativ must be used. In a recent game in the end screen there was a card listed in the detailed VP list as "einen Weinhändler" (which would be Akkusativ of Wine Merchant), when it should have been "ein Weinhändler" (Nominativ).

If the distinction between those cases (Nominativ/Akkusativ) is not made in the code, it will always be wrong one way or the other. Since most of the time Akkusativ is used, which in many case is the same as Nominativ, this doesn't show very often.

assemble_me

We're working on the different grammatical cases. These differences for the definite and indefinite articles don't appear in English (where it's just always "a" or "the") and apparently neither in Russian. This is something that is not simply fixed by translating the words, something about the ways some small localized text blocks are used needs to get adjusted for it to work.

Actually I have never seen any instance where we need the article for the nominative case (Nominativ), only dative (Dativ) and accusative (Akkusativ), where the last one is certainly most common.

Mostly we have stuff like Blabla spielt/kauft/nimmt ein Blubb .

The dative cases include entries where you put something on supply piles, or like VPs that are put on a Landmark. Usually constructions that look like . It usually involves that you put something from place A to place B.
Blabla legt 2 Siegpunkte von dem X-Stapel auf den Y-Stapel.

I happened to work around the first sentence that appears in the game where it says "Spieler beginnt mit..." by adding "folgenden Karten:" so I don't need the dative form for the articles of the cards there, but I didn't find a similar solution for the pile or event thing.

We never have nominative case since that would mean the card/event would be the subject which never happens in any occasion I've noticed. The subject, as far as I've seen, is always the player. We don't use genitive at all as far as I've seen.

Luckily, the only actual occasions where we need the article for the dative case is the one I said before, everywhere else it's accusative. That said, we only need to differ betweem "dem" and "den" because the articles always refer to a pile (Stapel). If I'm wrong about that, please let me know!

As said, we're already on it and hopefully many occasions are fixed with the next release(s).

Psyduck

Quote from: assemble_me on 31 March 2017, 07:56:19 AM
Actually I have never seen any instance where we need the article for the nominative case (Nominativ), only dative (Dativ) and accusative (Akkusativ), where the last one is certainly most common.

Mostly we have stuff like Blabla spielt/kauft/nimmt ein Blubb .

The dative cases include entries where you put something on supply piles like Embargo, or like VPs that are put on a Landmark. Usually constructions that look like
Blabla legt X auf den Y-Stapel.

I agree with almost everything that you said. However, the thing about dative strikes me odd. Maybe it's too early for me right now, but all your examples seem to be accusative instead of dative.
With Embargo, I place "einen Fluch-Marker" (wen oder was?).
With VP tokens, I also place some marker (wen oder was).
When "Blabla legt X auf den Y-Stapel. " the question is also (wen oder was legt X auf wen oder was?), so in my opinion both are accusative as well. With dative you'd be asking (wem?), which seems to be wrong.