Arena (landmark) asks for discard even if there aren't any tokens left on it

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRabbit1981

There could be an Edge Case where you want to discard to Arena for another reason than gaining tokens.

Example ... I discard a "Counting House" to Arena, buy a "Villa", play a "Hunting Party" to discard all coppers from my deck and draw the "Counting House" again via the "Hunting Party".

Stef

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 28 March 2017, 12:43:49 PM
There could be an Edge Case where you want to discard to Arena for another reason than gaining tokens.

Example ... I discard a "Counting House" to Arena, buy a "Villa", play a "Hunting Party" to discard all coppers from my deck and draw the "Counting House" again via the "Hunting Party".

or you want to topdeck something with Inn / Herald / Scouting Party.
or you just want your Philosophers stone to be worth more.
or ...

well I thought about it but I'm afraid there are way too many edgecases.

fisherman

Agreed, that Arena still has to ask about discarding. However the message remains "Arena: Discard for 2VP?" which is misleading after the VP tokens are gone. It would be nice if the message changed to "Arena: Discard?" or something like that after all the Arena tokens have been gained.

markus

Maybe you could make an "End Action Phase and Play Treasures" button in this and similar cases. This would be located where currently the "Play Treasures" is. I don't think there's an edgecase in which I wouldn't be able to play treasures after ending the action phase. (The separate "End Action" button would have to remain of course in case I don't want to play my treasures.)
This would also help more generally, when there are still action cards in hand - and maybe also extend to auto-buy.

JW

Where an autoplay feature is introduced, it would be nice if there is an option for Arena (don't ask to discard when VP chips run out) that a player can enable/disable in each game.

Ingix

I still think the best option for such effects is to make the actual card (in this case Arena) clickable at the correct time (beginning of buy phase), together with all your treasure cards.

This mimicks real card play the most: You have the option to use the effect before you play Treasure, but the game is not actively reminding you of it (just like your IRL opponent likely isn't, unless it is a teaching or friendly game). You can simply ignore it later when there are no more VP points on the Arena, without needing an extra 'decline' prompt or automating setting. Even more nicely, in case you really want to use it when no VP can be gained (maybe: Haunted Woods against you) no additional UI is needed, either.

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 28 March 2017, 11:37:51 PM
I still think the best option for such effects is to make the actual card (in this case Arena) clickable at the correct time (beginning of buy phase), together with all your treasure cards.

Ooh, this is a really good idea that I hadn't thought of. Nice. +1

fisherman

Quote from: AdamH on 29 March 2017, 01:35:50 PM
Quote from: Ingix on 28 March 2017, 11:37:51 PM

Ooh, this is a really good idea that I hadn't thought of. Nice. +1

Agreed, this sounds like a fabulous way to implement Arena.