Enchantress and Champion

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeal

There was something strange  about a game involving Enchantress and Champion. My opponent had Enchantress in play. I play my Champion expecting +1 Card +1 Action. I got that. Here are the relevant turns from the log.

Turn 12 - jonnyba
j plays an Enchantress.
j draws 3 Silvers, a Bishop and a Counterfeit.

Turn 12 - TheSeal
T plays a Champion.
   T draws a Silver.
T plays a Silver, 2 Coppers and 2 Golds.
T buys and gains a Platinum.
T draws 3 Coppers, a Gold and a Warrior.

A few turns later I realized my Champion was in reserve AND my opponent was successful attacking me with a Warrior. Here's on of those turns.
Turn 17 - jonnyba
j starts their turn.
   j draws a Copper and a Gold (Enchantress).
   j shuffles their deck.
   j draws a Workshop and a Bishop (Enchantress).
j plays a Warrior.
   j draws a Platinum and a Warrior.
   T discards a Copper.
j plays a Warrior.
   j draws a Silver and a Counterfeit.
   T discards a Silver and a Copper.
   T trashes a Silver.
j plays a Warrior.
   j draws a Bishop and a Platinum.
   T discards a Silver.
   T trashes a Silver.
   T shuffles their deck.
   T discards a Silver and a Gold.
   T trashes a Silver.
j plays a Workshop.
   j gains an Enchantress.
j plays a Bishop.
   j gets 1 VP.
j trashes a Copper.

It wasn't my imagination. I discussed it with my opponent and he also saw my Champion was in play when he moused over my name. Here's our conversation.

Joining game #2462811 on tokyo.
TheSeal:  Something is seriously screwed up here. How are you attacking me with my Champion in play?
jonnyba:  Good question
jonnyba:  Does enchantress work?
TheSeal:  I played it when you had Enchantress in play expecting one card one action. It did that then when to reserve
jonnyba:  Oh wow

So am I missing something as usual or is this really a bug?  Thanks!

P.S. As I was reading my post before hitting the post button, I just realized the log was showing me what my opponent was drawing. That really seems wrong.

Stef

Quote from: TheSeal on 31 March 2017, 03:24:39 AM
So am I missing something as usual or is this really a bug?  Thanks!
There was actually a bug... I made Champion/Hireling always stay out, in stead of only when they're actually played.
Fixed it now (which doesn't mean the fix is released yet).

Quote from: TheSeal on 31 March 2017, 03:24:39 AM
P.S. As I was reading my post before hitting the post button, I just realized the log was showing me what my opponent was drawing. That really seems wrong.
The gamelog has a lot more info after the game is over. You don't see this during the game.

jeebus

What about Prince? Does it work the way it should if you don't set aside a card? Either it could be Enchanted, or you could choose to not set aside a card. Prince should not stay in play be set aside then, it should be discarded that turn.
Edit: fixed

Ingix

I checked that when Prince is played under the influence of Enchantress, it will just given an Action/Card and then get discarded at end of turn, as it should be.

I'm not sure about the rest of your question, because I don't understand it. But remeber that Prince is formally not a Duration card´. If it sets itself aside, it will stay there and not return to play. If that doesn't answer your quesion, please reformulate your question in more detail. Thanks!

Stef

Quote from: Ingix on 07 April 2017, 12:05:13 AM
I checked that when Prince is played under the influence of Enchantress, it will just given an Action/Card and then get discarded at end of turn, as it should be.

I'm not sure about the rest of your question, because I don't understand it. But remeber that Prince is formally not a Duration card´. If it sets itself aside, it will stay there and not return to play. If that doesn't answer your quesion, please reformulate your question in more detail. Thanks!

I don't think you need to remind jeebus of the dominion rules ;)

And afaik yes Prince just gets discarded like any regular card when you don't set anything aside with it.

Ingix

I have no idea who jeebus is, if my comment came out condescending, I apologize.

To be totally strict, you can set aside Prince if you have no suitable Action card in your hand. Prince will stay set aside, even though no (other) card was set aside.

jeebus

Quote from: Ingix on 07 April 2017, 03:03:38 PM
I have no idea who jeebus is, if my comment came out condescending, I apologize.

To be totally strict, you can set aside Prince if you have no suitable Action card in your hand. Prince will stay set aside, even though no (other) card was set aside.

You didn't come across condescending at all, so no worries.

You can play Prince and then choose to not set aside any card from your hand, either because you don't have any Action cards costing $4 or less or because you don't want to. This could happen if you are forced to play Prince through Golem for instance. There could also be other reasons (Peddler, Library...). In any case, if you play Prince but don't set aside a card from your hand, Prince should be discarded that turn.

Ingix

I still disagree (in a totally nitpicky way), based on the wording of the card (from a photo of the english version, 2104) and Dominion online:

You may set this aside. If you do, set aside an Action card ...

The way you phrase your arguments, it sounds like setting aside an action card that costs 4 or less is the optional thing, and the Prince being set aside is a consequence of this optional things being done. It is however the other way around:

If you *choose* to set aside Prince (which is optional), it will stay set aside, as there is no reason stated on the card for it to ever return to play or any other part of your deck. It doesn't matter what follows about the Action card.

You write:
In any case, if you play Prince but don't set aside a card from your hand, Prince should be discarded that turn.

In the case where you play (or are forced to play) Prince but do not have a suitable action card in your hand, you will most likey choose not to set Prince aside. But you *can* if you want to.

jeebus

You are correct indeed. I should have talked about playing Prince but not setting it aside. (If you choose to set Prince aside, you must also set aside an Action card of the appropriate cost if you have one in hand.)

So strictly speaking you should be allowed to play Prince and set it aside even with no appropriate Action cards in hand. So I think it should work like this online:

Play Prince with no appropriate Action cards in hand: Set it aside, Y/N? If yes, it stays set aside. If no, it gets discarded.

Play Prince with appropriate Action cards in hand: Choose one of the Action cards, or choose "don't set aside". If you choose "don't set aside", Prince is not set aside (and neither is any other card of course) so it gets discarded. If you choose a card, Prince and that card is set aside.