Does Cancel & Resign affect rating?

Previous topic - Next topic

overconvergent

Quite often when trying to join a game, the client will just hang on the loading page with the castle instead of bringing me to a table with another player.

What I usually do then is refresh to see the "Cancel & Resign" button which takes me back to the lobby.

2 questions:

1. Why are my new games often stuck on the loading screen?
2. Will using the Cancel & Resign button affect my rating?

Thanks!

Stef

Quote from: overconvergent on 31 March 2017, 06:30:38 PM
Quite often when trying to join a game, the client will just hang on the loading page with the castle instead of bringing me to a table with another player.

What I usually do then is refresh to see the "Cancel & Resign" button which takes me back to the lobby.

2 questions:

1. Why are my new games often stuck on the loading screen?
2. Will using the Cancel & Resign button affect my rating?

Thanks!

1. There is an annoying bug I haven't been able to track down yet. When this happens, the problem is that your opponent does never connect to that game, so it won't start. On your side it looks like it's loading forever but actually on your side there is no problem. TBH, I've been quite busy with release 1.2 so now that that's live fixing this bug will be the next thing to do, and adding some dedicated logging should help me track it down.

2. In general yes using "cancel & resign" will affect your rating, but in this particular case no.
Resigning a game before the first player makes a decision counts as a loss, but resigning a game before all players are connected to the gameserver does not.

werothegreat

Tangentially related, but didn't feel like making a new thread:

Do bot games count towards/against your rating?  Oftentimes I'll queue up a bot game to test something out, and leave the game halfway through.  I would be sad if such a game affected my rating.  I would also be sad if people could just play a bot a bunch of times to boost their rating.

markus

Bot games don't count according to the announcement.

My (not very related) feature request would be to show the rating as e.g. 50-30 (instead of just 20) at the beginning of the game at the top of the log. That's more informative about the actual strength of the opponent and those are also the numbers that count for rating change.

It could be something like
Player AA level xx (yy-zz)

IceHot

Quote from: Stef on 31 March 2017, 06:36:39 PM
2. In general yes using "cancel & resign" will affect your rating, but in this particular case no.
Resigning a game before the first player makes a decision counts as a loss, but resigning a game before all players are connected to the gameserver does not.
Does resigning affect your rating more than a standard lose?

Mic Qsenoch

Quote from: IceHot on 04 April 2017, 08:16:10 PM
Does resigning affect your rating more than a standard lose?

No, they are the same. From the original rating announcement:
"- The only thing that matters is win/tie/lose (point margin is irrelevant; resigning is the same as losing)."

mrfiat

Why don't you change it so if a player hasn't made a move and then resigns or has connection issues then the game doesn't count towards the leaderboard?  I think that would be much better.  Some people will resign when they don't like the 5/2 split or the cards that were picked, but I am fine with that.  That will give us more choices, which is a good thing.

Ingix

@mrfiat: The problem with this is that as soon as someone sees a card he doesn't like to play against in the Kingdom (like Possession, a curse giver, Goons, some engine,...) he can simply opt out of that game with no penalty.

I understand you would be fine with something like that and I would as well, if it is done from time to time and in moderation. But this is also the reason why ranked games will not take into account "familiar cards": The possibility that someone games the system by simply finding a Kingdom he is very good at and then only marks those cards as familiar (which results in him playing only that Kingdom for ranked games) is deemed to big.

sisif

Quote from: Stef on 31 March 2017, 06:36:39 PM

1. There is an annoying bug I haven't been able to track down yet. When this happens, the problem is that your opponent does never connect to that game, so it won't start.

Could it be when the other player switched tabs? Occasionally I switch tabs when waiting for the game to find an opponent. Most of the times I remember to switch back and noticed that the game actually starts loading when i go back to the tab.
It seems unlikely that I always switch back in the very microsecond the server found me an opponent, so my guess is that the client is pausing communication with server while the tab is not active.

mrfiat

I don't have a problem with this at all.  Isotropic showed you the cards before the game started and gave you an option to decline the game.  The way they did it made a lot of sense.  Please give us this back.

Quote from: Ingix on 08 May 2017, 01:48:47 PM
@mrfiat: The problem with this is that as soon as someone sees a card he doesn't like to play against in the Kingdom (like Possession, a curse giver, Goons, some engine,...) he can simply opt out of that game with no penalty.

I understand you would be fine with something like that and I would as well, if it is done from time to time and in moderation. But this is also the reason why ranked games will not take into account "familiar cards": The possibility that someone games the system by simply finding a Kingdom he is very good at and then only marks those cards as familiar (which results in him playing only that Kingdom for ranked games) is deemed to big.

AdamH

Quote from: mrfiat on 15 May 2017, 09:54:45 PM
I don't have a problem with this at all.  Isotropic showed you the cards before the game started and gave you an option to decline the game.  The way they did it made a lot of sense.  Please give us this back.

Quote from: Ingix on 08 May 2017, 01:48:47 PM

This kind of thing is fine for casual games, but for the pro leaderboard, which is supposed to be taken seriously as a measure of player skill, this kind of thing won't fly. That's the distinction here.