Is it possible to ban users?

Previous topic - Next topic

CommunityGuardian

So I was playing with a guy yesterday.  Not gonna name names (since he's on this board), but the guy was basically being an unsympathetic jerk and denied me an undo request...which wouldn't have affected the game in the least bit.  I'm still pretty steamed about it.  Perhaps an overreaction, but admins...would it be possible for me to ban this guy so that I never have the "privilege" of playing with him ever again.

Thanks!

SkyHard

First of all, there is no obligation to allow undos (At least I hope there isn't - what would be the point of asking then?).
Secondly, why do some people think that the undo must be granted and that it is a crime not to grant it? If he does grant it, that's cool. If not it is his right to do so (whatever his reasons).
Finally, I think that calling someone by name (savage, jerk, a** and whatnot) is not justified in any way by a refused undo request.

Blacklists should solve this issue.

CommunityGuardian

QuoteFirst of all, there is no obligation to allow undos (At least I hope there isn't - what would be the point of asking then?).

Yes, but there's probably no obligation for me to tolerate these people, just like people who are trolls  / say random things / purposely take too long in between turns (Blacklist would also solve those problems too).  The goal of the undo for me is not just "to correct a mistake", but also to help me re-enforce my learning, as I've not seen several of these cards.  Example: on a turn with Crown, I failed to realize that I had to hit "End Actions" before playing crown with my treasures.  Fortunately my opponent was accommodating (lesson learned).  95% of the ppl I've played have been accommodating, so this guy's the odd one out in my brief experience.  These undos help me learn...I'll play with the "non-undo-ers" once I've mastered all the cards fully.  For now...I'll avoid such people. 

So, what was the example in this case? 
I had two coins...wanted to buy Alms.  I didn't realize that Alms requires no treasures in play.  It's not as though I started over my turn to play "something more optimal".  Just one buy...that was it.

And it wasn't just that.  It was the rather unapologetic nature with which he did this (something like "you're just out of luck chum").  Yeah, yeah, I know...no one gives a crap about netiquette.  He could have just as easily said "hey, I'm sorry but I can't allow this".  I'd like to think also that I'm "under no obligation" to tolerate that kind of behavior from someone  :P  Most of the people here are nice and friendly.  Why let one grouch ruin things?  (or is that too much of a name to call someone...)

If I'm missing some other (free) mechanism for getting familiar with some of the expansion cards, let me know (unrated table with expansions without paying for a subscription??).  Personally, I've found that just playing games does the trick.

QuoteFinally, I think that calling someone by name (savage, jerk, a** and whatnot) is not justified in any way by a refused undo request.

Uuuhhh...never said that I called him anything like that while we were playing.  If I really wanted to pick a fight, I would have ID'ed this person by name to the whole community.  However, I've chosen not to do for the sake of not getting into a flame-war / "name calling" battle.  Perhaps as an additional clarification: I found this person's behavior "jerk-like".  Doesn't mean he's a jerk as a person, just we see differently on this issue.  For all I know, he might be a really nice guy IRL :)

SkyHard

Quote from: CommunityGuardian on 02 April 2017, 11:37:13 AM
QuoteFinally, I think that calling someone by name (savage, jerk, a** and whatnot) is not justified in any way by a refused undo request.

Uuuhhh...never said that I called him anything like that while we were playing.  If I really wanted to pick a fight, I would have ID'ed this person by name to the whole community.  However, I've chosen not to do for the sake of not getting into a flame-war / "name calling" battle.  Perhaps as an additional clarification: I found this person's behavior "jerk-like".  Doesn't mean he's a jerk as a person, just we see differently on this issue.  For all I know, he might be a really nice guy IRL :)

My appologies, I did not mean you. I did get these responses to a neutral "I don't play with undo. Sorry." (in most cases I was way behind and it did not make any difference in the end)