Missing the most: April edition

Previous topic - Next topic

Stef

After a lot of useful feedback last month and getting some of the most desired features implemented I'd like to revive this idea.

• Please state your personal opinion on top 3 of things you'd like to see changed
  • Please don't discuss the opinion of others in this thread. If they ask for something you don't think is important at all, well, they're still entitled to that opinion. If you think a suggestion is interesting and warrants a discussion, feel free to start a new thread about it.

Regardless of what people post, the next thing to work on will be a bit of a sad one. Personal blacklists, reporting users, banning users... we just need to invest some time in that because there are a few players out there who are spoiling a lot of fun for others, and those negative experiences can carry a lot of weight.

AdamH

Quote from: AdamH on 03 March 2017, 05:06:33 PM
1. Make it easier to understand what's happening during my opponent's turn. 99% of this can be done by making any card gained during my opponent's turn dance in front of me before going wherever else it goes. The other 1% can be done by printing the money and buys that each player has in the log at the start of each buy phase.

2. Put some time and thought into the "new player experience." I don't feel like typing everything out, but the philosophy of having to come to these forums (which are hard to find from the actual game page) and complain, just to have someone tell you a workaround for many of this, is not a sustainable thing. If you're not going to fix these things promptly, then at least make a tutorial or something to show people how to use this thing.

Rabid

1) Notification that it is my turn to act. Ping sound. Browser tab flash.

2) Leaderboard, Game count: Won / Lost / Draw

3) When leaving a game, send me back to where I joined the game from.
At the moment when finishing a automatch game, I leave and end up on the new table tab.
I would like to be on the matching tab.

Polk5440

I think my list remains unchanged.

Quote from: Polk5440 on 02 March 2017, 05:07:34 AM
1) Make game playable without looking  at -- or at least clicking in -- the log.
2) Implement more animations, visual cues, and better graphic as to make 1) possible and the game overall more like a complete game.
3) Implement solutions like dedicated apps in order to be able to play on more mobile devices.

twasa

1. Clicking a bit of text in the log or a button in the log still feels counter intuitive, although I'm used to it by now. I wish there was a more obvious way to handle that.
2. A tutorial of some sorts that new players could step through to learn basic mechanics would be very useful.
3. I know it is planned and I don't need it, but players looking for a 2p+ game still have an uphill battle. (The separate leader board is a great addition for them though.)

jsh

1. Turn/action notification sounds or messages
2. Remove buttons from log and put them in the GUI
3. Banlist was my #3, so I guess next would be to add visual indication of Adventures tokens and duration effects like Enchantress.

refried

1. Quick Match with 3+ players
2. Show cards used after a match so we can mark them familiar
3. If an undo is denied, don't allow the other player to continually request it.

kieranmillar

1) Sound when you have to act or it's your turn.
2) Better awareness of Swamp Hag, Haunted Woods and Enchantress being active.
3) Visual representation of -card and -coin tokens.

limetime

1. Releasing game logs (not in client) so people make their own leaderboards, lookup logs and things of this nature.
2. Easy way to view all open tables (not automatch)
3. Clock similar to chess clock.

SkyHard

1. Turn/action notification sounds and messages
2. Make game playable without the log
3. I still find it annoying like hell, that the treasures are played one by one. Sure, sometimes they need to be played one after another (e.g. with Sauna), but then the order does count too (and if I really want to play all my treasures it should play them all and then trigger the possible actions - or just ignore them).

Bbl

Still unchanged:

1. Working AI with different playstyles and difficulty levels
2. Leaderboard vs AI, with increasing AI difficulty the higher you climb
3. Offline App for mobile phone
(4. Campaigns or Puzzles
5. UI Improvements, most importantly visibility of Duration Attacks)

I also want to take the opportunity to thank the devs for the more open communication.

Jacob Marley

1. Easily readable game logs similar to Goko Salvager
2. searchable list of games you have played

tracer

arcee

1) AI
2) Sensible way to choose random kingdoms without demonizing players who don't play all random all the time (for example, blocking the latest expansions or requiring multiple cards from any non-base/promo set if any chosen - if a phone picker can do it Dominion should also)
3) Interface bugs (journey token, tiny card windows, etc.)

fisherman

1. Notification when the game is waiting for me to do something.
2. Visual reminder that duration attacks are in effect.
3. Implementing buttons so we can stop having to click in the log.

TimSharrock

1. touchscreen friendlier - in particular make reordering possible on chrome browser on Android
2. notification when I need to act
3, better AI

thanks

Donald X.

1. AI. I'm rarely interested in playing computer games against live opponents. For me, while the AI is trashing Provinces, there's no game yet.
2. Not needing to use the log at all to play the game. Both not needing to click on it ever, and not needing to look at it ever to see what your opponent did, unless of course you want to remember earlier turns.
3. Visibility of duration attacks and reserves and mats and everything like that that's missing. Since I'm not playing I don't see these missing features, but I see them on these other lists, and well man, we are talking basic essentials here.

The offline version is a pretty significant feature promised to players. As the guy it looms large for me, though as a player I wouldn't personally use it. The tables could trivially be way better; a nice thing to prioritize in terms of how much better things are for how much effort you put in.

werothegreat

Listed somewhat in order of priority:

1) Visual cues: duration attack signifiers, opponent gain animations, better reserve interface, more obvious signal that you/opponent have durations/reserves/native village stuff in play/set aside land
2) Audio cues: ping me when I have to do something so I can come back if I've tabbed out during a long turn, have some way to turn this and other noises off
3) Campaigns: these don't even need to release all at once, you could pop out, say, just the base campaign and say the rest are coming later
4) Prettifying: make this look more like an actual professional game, and less like a school project - more art assets on the main screen, fewer white boxes with white text - it doesn't have to be Hearthstone, but at least aim for something like War for Omens or something

santamonica811

1.  Visual and sound notification that it's my turn/action.
2.  Visual alert for each item bought by opponent on his turn.
3.  Visual and sound notification that it's my turn/action. (because I *really* want this one) :-)

Ingix

1. Better use of screen real estate, maybe configurable by player. This could then allow showing Tavern Mat/Duration cards at all times. For example, the standard Copper/Silver/Gold/Estate/Duchy/Province piles could be made smaller, IMO. Another option would be to use the space now taken up by the log to show Trash/Tavern Mat/Duration cards and only switch to the log only if necessary (because some UI is there), or because the player wants to see the log.

2. Start thinking about/test implementing specific mobile clients. Optimized UI for them could create a big increase in usability. General mobile internet use is really big and a quick game against AI or another player would be welcome for many commuters who don't have to drive themselves.

3. Improve AI, at least in the sense that it doesn't do really stupid things with certain cards.

ThetaSigma12

1: Better AI. Some time spent fixing up all the dumb mistakes (trashing provinces for example) would be much appreciated.

2: Apps. A long way off but still very much wanted.

serakfalcon

1. attention notifications (when it's my turn or when the game is waiting on me to decide something)
2. Not needing to click in the log
3. Notification when the browser can't connect to the server (e.g. wifi is down)
4. touch screen

yed

1) Automaticaly pick server with best latency for the player hosting the game
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1098.msg3041#msg3041

2) Fixing reorder in Chrome on Android tablet.
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1111.msg3109#msg3109

Thank you for adding both of my most missing features from the March edition :)

Martin plays Piano

Support for multi player games
- match button to find 3-4P games (similar to the 2P buttons)
- better friend's overview with their current status (logged in / waiting / playing / spectating)
  (regardless the status one should be able to chat with friends to make appointments)

Game tracer
- graphical log instead of text with cards gained, bought, trashed etc.
- player cockpit with set-aside cards, mats, durations, optional acustic alerts etc.

Attractiveness and game design
- current layout is more technical and functional rather than being fascinating, smooth and sexy
- game attracts more the experienced players rather than casual ones or newbies
- more communication and marketing to the community to get their buy-in for 2018

Thx for the leaderboard

Have fun
Rachmaninoff

JW

Taking into consideration the perceived benefit / ease of implementation ratio:

1) Notification that it is my turn to act. Ping sound (if desired). Browser tab flash.
2) Visual displays of -Card/Coin tokens and Duration attacks.
3) Display bottom card in Empires split-card piles.
4) Remove "pretend to think" (on Gladiator, not sure what else has it) - when autoplay features are implemented later, add it as an option that can be toggled on.

tufftaeh

• A comfortable way to find and review an old game. Minimum: LogPrettifier. Optimum: full graphical spectate where you have buttons for "next turn"/"previous turn" (and maybe another one for "play from here").
  • Permanent indication of oponent's duration attacks in play and -1 card/coin token.
  • Setting for automatic Undo permission if no new information.
This is only my personal wish list, however. As "most important for casual players" I would rank

• Possibility to play without the log, i.e. visualize everything + buttons instead of clickable links + permanent indication of oponent's duration attacks in play and -1 card/coin token.
  • A reasonable AI.
  • 3p/4p matching.
Even more important from a business perspective might be dedicated apps for iOS & Android - you want to be in these stores! I'm afraid that these apps would need to include offline play in order to be successful, so they might actually not add much to the online player base. But maybe they double it, that would be nice, wouldn't it?

squirezucco

1. Clearer feedback regarding what has happened on an opponent's play (without having to read the log). Much of this could be done with deliberate interface (parade of cards like you have with Hunting Party). E.g., for Giant, reveal two cards. Pause. Trash one (red outline then move to trash pile). Discard the other (yellow outline then move to discard).
2. Better, more varied AI.
3. Stash. Just kidding. Stash is terrible. I haven't missed it.
3. Better mobile interface (bot games on the train would make me happier).

Burning Skull

• Personal blacklist
  • ding-dong you are being militia'd
  • -Card/-Coin tokens visibility

Yariv

1) Notification (audible) when I need to act. Too often I find that my opponent is waiting for me.
2) Missing/Hidden information.
   - The cards in non identical piles (Knights, Ruins, Split piles including Castles). Looking for external information is a real problem.
   - Opponent's duration attacks.
   - Minor other issues, such as the card saved with Haven.
3) Undo when no new information revealed. It drives me crazy when an opponent will not allow undo of a misclick, more than rudeness or even slowplaying. Black listing will probably help there too, but I still would like to have that undo.

UncleLion

1. Offline App
2. better AI
3. At the end game screen: always show set Kingdom Card (also when it is random choose),  list of card in player deck.

ravi

Same as last time:

Quote from: ravi on 02 March 2017, 12:54:10 PM
1) A game playable without the log
2) Ability to easily challenge online friends to a game
3) Better implementation of mats/durations

thewagon

1. Offline Mode
2. Better visual cues/reminders for Duration Attacks / Journey, Coin, Victory, + & - something tokens
3. Ability to activate everything through main interface, not having to click in the game log.

jeebus

1. No need to click in the game log, and everything is visible and clear (animations) without having to look in the game log.
2. Visibility of tokens and cards. The area/button to hover over or click should be clearly marked, not a hidden feature.
3. Visibiltiy of all cards in split piles, Prizes, Ruins, Knights.

Regarding 1 and 2, I like Ingix' idea: Hide the log per default, and display set-aside cards, Durations, trash etc at once. The log should be needed only to see the previous turn or because you looked away, like Donald said. (Better: Player can configure whether log or "side table" is displayed per default on new games.)

And in order of importance:
- Remaining card bugs.
- "Undo after no new info" (without needing to be granted) is always enabled and can't be disabled. "Undo after new info" (including grant prompt) is a feature that can be removed for now, but later can be added as a setting both players need to have enabled.
- Alert when it's my turn and when I get the prompt to force resign my opponent.
- Correct end-game log (reveal/look at the right cards).
- Complete log (show when the player gets +actions, +buys, +coins when there is a choice).
- Show the composition of players' decks at game end.
- Show the last thing happening with an animation on-screen, instead of going straight to the score board.

Sharajat

1) No more log buttons.

2) Tutorial for new players.

3) Duration cards, especially duration attacks, better shown.  MF used to highlight cards purple for Swamp Hag, or dark red for Haunted Woods, these are very good ideas.

JKRich

1. A more developed GUI that makes the game playable without the log - this includes variable speed animations so those with different speed preferences can follow the opponents' turns and make the online game truly able to simulate IRL play.

2. Alert tone when one needs to act.

3. 3-4p automatching.

JerseyFrank

• Audio cue + "thinking..." button for player X when state = waiting on player X.  Audio cue should be pleasant and repeat until action is taken or "thinking" message is acknowledged
  • Remove actions from log
  • Ancillary play areas (trash, black market, player mats, duration, reserve) should be visible.  Suggestion: allow 2nd browser window to show these

allanfieldhouse

• Show everything that's happening so that you don't HAVE to use the log every turn (and remove all log buttons/interaction).
  • Decent/competent AI. It doesn't need to be anything special at this point, but if I play terribly, the AI should win.
  • Overall polish of the whole interface, but especially in-game. Honestly, you probably just need to hire a freelance designer for this. What you have works fine, but someone who specializes in interface design could make huge improvements.

markus

1) Visibility of opponent's duration attacks and -1 coin/card tokens.

2) Being able to see what exactly the duration cards /set aside cards are. For example, with Throne Room it's not always clear to me which duration is throned. For Haven and Archive I would like to be able to see which cards are set aside / how many cards my opponent has set aside in each Archive. (I'm not sure whether the rules technically allow you to look at the cards in each Archive other than at the start of the turn, but with a complete log available, it's just a pain to go back to the last turns and figure out what cards are in the Archives.)

3) Reduce necessity of having to look at / use log.

Ranna156

1. Better way of starting 2+ player games
2. A lobby where you can advertise your game - this goes along with #1
3. Notification when i need to do something.
4. Make it clear what duration cards or -1 coin etc is in play.

JerseyFrank

New Priority now that there's a leaderboard and I care about it:
0. When player leaves table, Force resign dialog should appear immediately with a countdown timer showing how much time you must wait to force the resignation.  Also, whatever it is now is long enough to have frustrated me and given me time to post this... which is far too long.

Quote from: JerseyFrank on 07 April 2017, 04:15:51 PM

• Audio cue + "thinking..." button for player X when state = waiting on player X.  Audio cue should be pleasant and repeat until action is taken or "thinking" message is acknowledged
  • Remove actions from log
  • Ancillary play areas (trash, black market, player mats, duration, reserve) should be visible.  Suggestion: allow 2nd browser window to show these

faust

1. Retrievable Game Logs, ideally a searchable database.
2. Clear -1$/-card and duration attack notifications.
3. 3-player Automatch.

Technohippy

1 - The option to slow down the visuals, so I can see what the other player is doing/buying.

2 - Either show to other player's hand right side up, or give me the option to see it that way. Once again for ease of following what is going on.

3 - Smarter AI for Lord Rattingtown.

Small change - use a darker red under the number of card left to enhance contrast i.e. legibility.

ATTACKBOAT

#1 A window or number on the card that makes it clear the order when you are resolving a Ghost Ship.

WhiteRabbit1981

- let me pick a name for my table. So i can call it "ranked, all cards, lvl 30+" ... or "table for (playername) come play". Would also help to find 3+ player games, but that doesnt matter for me.

santamonica811

I thought WhiteRabbit's first suggestion was excellent, so let me add that to my list as well. :-)

mutecebu

1) AI (both harder and easier settings)
2) Tutorial for new players
3) Tutorial for experienced players.

("Right click on cards to read their text" is the big one.)

Honorable mention: make the white-text-on-patterned-background more aesthetically appealing. Perhaps just using a different font, or better anti-aliasing?

JunkDealer

Aside from everything I stated for March (<begin rant> of which I think are still outstanding, which perhaps tells me that I do not jive with the designers since they are asking for more input despite the fact that there is a large list of things in March, and in the actual already set out feature list that have not been developed to really be asking for more things to develop.... <end rant>)

- stats.... How many games have I played... win/loss ratio.... win/loss ration per player, etc...

Beyond Awesome

1) Most important I want this game to be more accessible to less hardcore players such as myself. So, #1 make it so players don't need the log to play.
2) Better AI
3) Campaigns.

All three of these are ideas I feel are more aimed at the more casual player, and the last two will also help get an offline version off the ground as well.

As a hardcore player, with a couple of things here and there, I am actually pleased with everything overall, but it is not us experienced players that you need to sell, it's those who can walk away at any minute and find another game to invest their time into.

werothegreat

The reveal areas for Harbinger/Scheme/etc. still need to be bigger.  Scrollable, for preference.

werothegreat

Lookout (and similar cards) should still reveal the cards revealed (or looked at) even if it's all the same card and no real decision needs to be made.

wargames83

The player should be able to choose the order for top-decking cards. There should be a way to see what other cards are in split piles and see what prize cards are left in the prize pile. The various icons should have explanations when you click or arrow over them.

werothegreat

A way to message players outside of a game would be nice.

idontplaythisgame

A mobile client would be lovely. I miss being able to play on my phone with the same level of comfort I experience on a computer.

gitsticker8

1)  Allow less time and implement /ignore and /report. I believe the issue with slow rolling is extremely obnoxious and more of a design flaw than an issue with abusive players.  If the game is vulnerable to abuse, players will abuse it unless it is fixed.  4 minutes per action is waaaay too much time allowed.  How about 5 minutes per turn with 5 seconds added to the clock per action?  This would prevent much of the slow rolling but still provide plenty of extra time to allow people to chain out their engines.

2)  I don't believe in a blacklist option.  Look at at other competitive online multiplayer games such as Blizzard's Overwatch and Starcraft.  You can't blacklist people.  You can choose to /ignore their chat and you can /report them.  If they get many consecutive reports, they get warnings/bans.  Allowing a blacklist just gives the player the power to choose who they play against which helps them game the leaderboard, not good.  The blacklist issue stems from the slow-rolling abuse as well as abusive chat, both of which could be addressed by #1 above.  If you don't appreciate someone's behavior, simply type "ignored and reported" and disable chat.  It will be the end of the conversation and you will have done your part in making sure justice is served.  Of course the other side of the coin is moderators have to be on top of managing reports and dealing out warnings/bans.

3)  Rematch is great but it shouldn't be rated. The only games that should be rated are games that the matching system sets up.  Players should have no power to choose their opponents in rated games, otherwise the system is vulnerable to abuse such as win-trading (I match with a friend's alternate account and we purposefully spam multiple games to boost our ratings).

Thanks for reading!

santamonica811

Missing the most?  A "May Edition" of 'missing the most.'  :)

jeebus

I just want to say that Gitsticker8 has some great points in #1 and #2. "5 minutes per turn with 5 seconds added to the clock per action" would be a huge improvement. Then you can't slowroll each action. (And I just experienced that if my machine crashes, as it currently is it takes more than 4 minutes to start up and log on again, so maybe 5 minutes would be enough.)

Buttons for silencing and reporting users are no-brainers really. And yes: many reports should lead to warnings/bans.

JW

Taking into consideration the perceived benefit / ease of implementation ratio:
Missing the most, May:
1) Buttons to silence chat from an opponent, and to report users.
2) Visual displays of -Card/Coin tokens and Duration attacks.
3) Display bottom card in Empires split-card piles.
4) Remove "pretend to think" (on Gladiator, not sure what else has it) - when autoplay features are implemented later, add it as an option that can be toggled on.
5) Create official FAQ based on great unofficial FAQ by Chris (http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1100.0), link to it in the client instead, and keep it updated for new releases.

Stef

Quote from: josh bornstein on 05 May 2017, 06:41:04 AM
Missing the most?  A "May Edition" of 'missing the most.'  :)

No sorry I'll skip a month with this thread. Already plenty of work for May, and I'd rather ask again when there is a reasonable chance the answers will determine what we're going to build next. Only asking when it actually has impact will hopefully keep people motivated to provide feedback in these threads.

Dwedit

Quote from: markus on 07 April 2017, 07:23:02 PM
1) Visibility of opponent's duration attacks and -1 coin/card tokens.

2) Being able to see what exactly the duration cards /set aside cards are. For example, with Throne Room it's not always clear to me which duration is throned. For Haven and Archive I would like to be able to see which cards are set aside / how many cards my opponent has set aside in each Archive. (I'm not sure whether the rules technically allow you to look at the cards in each Archive other than at the start of the turn, but with a complete log available, it's just a pain to go back to the last turns and figure out what cards are in the Archives.)

3) Reduce necessity of having to look at / use log.

THIS.

yinzanat

I'd like to see the buttons in Black Market fixed.  The "Don't play treasures" button is in the same space as "Play all treasures" for normal buys.  That's about the only thing I've ever undone.

Some cards that order cards on top of the deck or to be played (Golem, Sentry, Wandering Minstrel) order from top to bottom while others go bottom to top.  Would be nice if they all went the same way.

Greater visibility of the opponents duration attacks would be nice.

refried

I'd really like to be able to explore each player's deck after the game ends.