Better AI when?

Previous topic - Next topic

david.g

Hi, I know nothing of programming etc, so forgive me if its naive to expect the AIs to be better than they presently are. They do quite well in some situations, but so often seem to throw games they could feasibly win, or at least do better in. Are there plans soon to improve overall play from our robot friends?

Stef

Quote from: david.g on 04 April 2017, 09:18:01 AM
Hi, I know nothing of programming etc, so forgive me if its naive to expect the AIs to be better than they presently are. They do quite well in some situations, but so often seem to throw games they could feasibly win, or at least do better in. Are there plans soon to improve overall play from our robot friends?

Better AI is both very important and a lot of work. If I'd have to guess now I'd say I start working on this halfway during May, and you'll see the (first significant) results by then end of June. But please don't pin me down on that. Improving the AI is probably something that can go on forever.

SirDagen

Hi

I understand how much work a good AI is. I would be content with a type of Bankerbot that plays big money plus the best support card, just to test it against the things I do. Consistency is the key here. I only get upset with the current bot if he randomly trashes his provinces.
Greetings,
SirDagen

Stef

Quote from: SirDagen on 04 April 2017, 10:47:01 AM
Hi

I understand how much work a good AI is. I would be content with a type of Bankerbot that plays big money plus the best support card, just to test it against the things I do. Consistency is the key here. I only get upset with the current bot if he randomly trashes his provinces.

Yes agreed & sorry. Trashing provinces has nothing to do with "a better AI" and a lot with fixing a bug. I'll try to get it done today.

allanfieldhouse

Thanks for the estimates Stef! Even if you end up needing to change the dates later, the transparency really helps.

mutecebu

Hey, thanks for the great game. I really love the new implementation.

I know we're all for better bots, but on the other side of the coin, I think making worse bots is actually a pretty high priority. I have a friend new to the game, picking it up rather fast IMO (and I've taught a lot of people the game over the years). However, she complains that the bot always crushes her.

I think having easy difficulties is important to hook the new players.

Of course, I know writing dumb bot AI isn't too hard, but adding functionality to support multiple *different* AIs may be harder.