Resigning during opponents' turn

Previous topic - Next topic

jeebus

Quote from: Donald X. on 29 March 2017, 02:41:12 AM
The lack of a button on other players' turns would not cause players to wait longer than they would have liked; it would cause them to close the tab. It's just strictly negative.

Sure, that could happen too. But as I learned through this thread, they would punish themselves by having to wait for significantly more time. So I would think (maybe after a certain period of people realizing this) this behavior would not be very common. But I acknowledge that it could happen more than currently. Both of these things (having to wait longer, closing the tab) are negative. I don't know what you mean with "strictly negative", unless you're saying that what I outlined in the OP is 0% of a problem. Well, it isn't, since some people, me included, regard it as more than that.

SkyHard

Quote from: jeebus on 30 March 2017, 08:32:17 PM
Quote from: Donald X. on 29 March 2017, 02:41:12 AM
The lack of a button on other players' turns would not cause players to wait longer than they would have liked; it would cause them to close the tab. It's just strictly negative.

Sure, that could happen too. But as I learned through this thread, they would punish themselves by having to wait for significantly more time. So I would think (maybe after a certain period of people realizing this) this behavior would not be very common. But I acknowledge that it could happen more than currently. Both of these things (having to wait longer, closing the tab) are negative. I don't know what you mean with "strictly negative", unless you're saying that what I outlined in the OP is 0% of a problem. Well, it isn't, since some people, me included, regard it as more than that.

If your opponent closes the tab instead of resigning, YOU will have to wait (or resign). The opponent will probably not care and come back at a much later time and only you will feel the consequences.

jeebus

Quote from: SkyHard on 30 March 2017, 08:34:43 PM
If your opponent closes the tab instead of resigning, YOU will have to wait (or resign). The opponent will probably not care and come back at a much later time and only you will feel the consequences.

You will both have to wait before you can play again. But yes, you're right that if you care about your rating (in the future when that will be recorded), then you have to wait in front of your computer, unlike the quitter. I'm pretty certain a sound alert will be implemented when it's your turn, and of course it will also sound when you get the force-resign prompt. So you could be doing other things on your computer. But yes, there will be a slightly bigger punishment to you, you have to stay put.

Donald X.

Quote from: jeebus on 30 March 2017, 08:32:17 PM
Sure, that could happen too. But as I learned through this thread, they would punish themselves by having to wait for significantly more time.
They are sitting at a computer, the best toy ever. Probably they can find something to do on it for a few minutes, if they are locked out of starting Dominion games.

I feel like the topic has been covered, the solution is straightforward, it's to let you keep playing against AI if your opponent quits. That's also nice when they quit during their own turn. Having some situation where you can't resign is obviously not ideal, and any desire someone might have for that is alleviated by the AI solution.

jeebus

Quote from: jeebus on 03 March 2017, 06:11:45 PM
As far as switching to AI... Sounds like a lot more work to implement. And it's still going to foster the bad form of resigning a few seconds before the game is over. If I was about to buy the last Province, it doesn't really make a difference if I do it against a bot. I'll still feel like I was subjected to a rage quit or at least an annoyed gesture. Switching to bot makes more sense if someone resigns earlier in the game. But of course, since the bot will probably be terrible at playing the other player's deck, it's not really going to tell me much about how the game would have played out.

Donald X.

Quote from: jeebus on 03 April 2017, 04:08:12 PM
As far as switching to AI... Sounds like a lot more work to implement. And it's still going to foster the bad form of resigning a few seconds before the game is over. If I was about to buy the last Province, it doesn't really make a difference if I do it against a bot. I'll still feel like I was subjected to a rage quit or at least an annoyed gesture. Switching to bot makes more sense if someone resigns earlier in the game. But of course, since the bot will probably be terrible at playing the other player's deck, it's not really going to tell me much about how the game would have played out.
Switching to AI is what's going to happen though! After a period however long in which it works like it does now. Stef said it sounded good and then I said it was the move and your argument sure hasn't swayed me.

serakfalcon

Quote from: Donald X. on 04 April 2017, 01:45:25 AM
Switching to AI is what's going to happen though! After a period however long in which it works like it does now. Stef said it sounded good and then I said it was the move and your argument sure hasn't swayed me.

If I can offer my 2 cents, I think it would be nice to have the option to end the game immediately or replace the player with an AI. I'm not sure if that's what you are assuming or whether you expect that the game will be forced to be played to the end, except with an AI replacing one of the players.

SkyHard

Quote from: serakfalcon on 04 April 2017, 03:54:19 PM

If I can offer my 2 cents, I think it would be nice to have the option to end the game immediately or replace the player with an AI. I'm not sure if that's what you are assuming or whether you expect that the game will be forced to be played to the end, except with an AI replacing one of the players.

You can't force anyone to finish a game ;)
And yes, I would like that option.

Jacob Marley

Quote from: SkyHard on 04 April 2017, 04:08:40 PM

You can't force anyone to finish a game ;)
And yes, I would like that option.

Furthermore, you should be able in your personal settings to select
1. Always replace resigning player with AI
2. Always ask whether to replace resigning player with AI
3. Never replace resigning player with AI

Personally, when my opponent resigns, I just am glad for the win and move on.

This of course is for 2p.  for 3+, replacing resigning players should be automatic until there is only one human left at the table at which point they can decide whether to take the win or continue playing.

IceHot

Quote from: jeebus on 03 March 2017, 04:35:43 PM
I see no reason why resigning should be available unless it's your turn. That was how it was implemented on Isotropic and I can't remember anybody ever questioning it. I can't remember how it was implemented on Goko/MF.
I see no reason not to be able to resign on my opponents turn.  Opponents taking their turn can easily be far more disrepectful then the player who resigns.

When there is one Duchy left to end the game and you are up by 20 points and keep playing Margrave over and over with 30 coins in the bank that is disrepectful.  Just end the game and lets move to the next game.

Donald X.

For sure, if you want to just take the win, you should be able to. I would go so far as to say, it should chalk it up as a win ratings-wise, and then, you can play it out if you want.

jeebus

Right, I already got that it was going to happen. I still stand by my arguments for the pros and cons, and I acknowledge that there are pros and cons for both sides. I just didn't agree with your assessment of how there are only downsides to what I was advocating, nor your claim that an AI would solve the problems I was describing.

gitsticker8

First time poster, just wanted to chip in my 2c.  I believe the option to resign should remain available at all points of the game.

Removing the resign option opens the game up to abuse by the players whose turn it is.  They can simply draw out their turn and prevent the other player from leaving and starting a new game.  Removing vulnerabilities to abuse should be very high on the priority list compared to encouraging good sportsmanship in my opinion.

Someone who wants to quit and start a new game should be entitled to do so whenever they want.  It may mean the difference between them starting a new game or closing the tab and doing something else.  We all benefit from more players playing more games.