Rematching

Previous topic - Next topic

sisif

It is astonishing to me how many players do not have the decency of allowing a rematch, after winning.
I've seen low levels, high levels, tons of players that do not have the courtesy of allowing their opponent to play another match.
My blacklist keeps growing, but really it makes me lose a little faith in humanity seeing so many players with no sense of fair play.

jsh

Since when are you entitled to a rematch? lol

I usually only play one game at a time and take a break, so I never rematch anyone. I imagine others are the same. People aren't playing Dominion for your benefit! I'd say have respect for their choices of what to do with their time.

sisif

You are probably right, expecting some chivalry is so last century.

merryor

Sometimes I only have time for one game. If you'd like a rematch, maybe ask and then the other person will know you'd like it and can tell you if they can't and why.

It's just not that serious imo.

Stef

Quote from: sisif on 30 April 2017, 03:34:56 AM
You are probably right, expecting some chivalry is so last century.

Expecting chivalry is totally fine, even though what it actually means is a bit vague. And of course you're entitled to come up with your own definition and put everyone on your blacklist that doesn't live up to your expectations.

But please be aware that that's what they are - your personal expectations. For example I don't agree with your definition here. I think it's fine if people just want to play one game and leave after that, assuming they end the game in a somewhat respectful manner of course. In my book just leaving after one game is fine, whereas after player a couple of games I would expect you to say some form of goodbye. Regardless of the number of games and/or who won them, you're never supposed to play another game if you don't feel like it.

squirezucco

To be polite, you can always say, "thanks, gotta go" before leaving the table. Then your opponent will never know that you know you got lucky and are afraid to be crushed into a powdery goo in a rematch.

sisif

I never leave after winning the first game, it feels like the decent thing to allow your opponent the chance of a rematch.
If for some reason I must leave, i apologize and let the player know in advance that I won't be able to play another game.
But then again, that's me, my expectations.
To me, allowing your opponent a rematch is just common sense, and I don't need to play with someone who bolts after one win, thus I add them to MY blacklist.

Jacob Marley

Fine, if that's what you want to do, you will, in all likelihood, only play me once.  I have a very busy schedule and am often only able to play one game at a time, win or lose.  It's not meant as disrespect for you, just the reality for me.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: sisif on 01 May 2017, 10:04:32 PM
I never leave after winning the first game, it feels like the decent thing to allow your opponent the chance of a rematch.

When does this perceived obligation for a rematch end?

After someone wins two in a row? Best of 5? Best of some sufficiently large odd number?

sisif

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 03 May 2017, 07:00:58 PM

After someone wins two in a row? Best of 5? Best of some sufficiently large odd number?
yes

gitsticker8

The notion that one is obligated to offer a rematch, whether they won or lost, is absolutely ridiculous.  This should be obvious to any rational person.  Sorry if this offends anyone.

sisif

Quote from: gitsticker8 on 04 May 2017, 01:30:02 AM
The notion that one is obligated to offer a rematch, whether they won or lost, is absolutely ridiculous.  This should be obvious to any rational person.  Sorry if this offends anyone.
Are you high? Who said anyone was obligated to do anything, or suggested that they should be?
I already said I am old school, I have expectations like if I tell you 'Hi', you 'should' say 'hi'.
You are not obligated to say it, but if you don't I tend to consider you an asshole. Of course most of the players here would consider you to be cool, for not reciprocating a mundane 'hi'.
I was just curious how many players would think that giving your opponent a rematch is an elegant thing to do. I think I pretty much got my answer.
Apparently I am a dinosaur.

jsh

Quote from: sisif on 04 May 2017, 03:17:45 PM
Quote from: gitsticker8 on 04 May 2017, 01:30:02 AM
Are you high? Who said anyone was obligated to do anything, or suggested that they should be?
I already said I am old school, I have expectations like if I tell you 'Hi', you 'should' say 'hi'.
You are not obligated to say it, but if you don't I tend to consider you an asshole. Of course most of the players here would consider you to be cool, for not reciprocating a mundane 'hi'.
I was just curious how many players would think that giving your opponent a rematch is an elegant thing to do. I think I pretty much got my answer.
Apparently I am a dinosaur.

I don't think this has anything to do with your age. You are conflating "saying hi" with "spend an extra 10-30 minutes playing this game with me." They aren't the same type of social obligation at all.

sisif

Quote from: jsh on 04 May 2017, 03:44:35 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with your age. You are conflating "saying hi" with "spend an extra 10-30 minutes playing this game with me." They aren't the same type of social obligation at all.
It's getting amusing. I guess this post has become a platform for shrink wannabes.

Nyarpy

Quote from: jsh on 04 May 2017, 03:44:35 PM

Seriously, this is kinda crazy to me. I never once considered that rematches might be the expected thing to do or that I'd be looked down upon for not doing so. Do most people only play when they have a huge block of available time? No one squeezes in a game when they have a few minutes, or if they do they have to be apologetic? Wow.