Rematching

Previous topic - Next topic

gitsticker8

Quote from: sisif on 04 May 2017, 03:17:45 PM
Are you high? Who said anyone was obligated to do anything, or suggested that they should be?

You did.

Quote from: sisif on 04 May 2017, 12:08:01 AM
Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 03 May 2017, 07:00:58 PM

When does this perceived obligation for a rematch end?
After someone wins two in a row? Best of 5? Best of some sufficiently large odd number?
yes
Decency, elegance, courtesy... these are not qualities that are expressed by offering everyone a rematch; and certainly not by holding others to such a standard.

sisif

Quote from: gitsticker8 on 04 May 2017, 04:59:47 PM
You did.

Maybe you can quote me on that?  Show me where i said anyone was obliged to do anything.
If i say 'it is amazing how many people smoke' does it mean people are obliged to stop smoking?
I stated my opinion and that was it. I will just continue to accept a rematch from people who want one, and blacklist those whom i consider to be assholes. Is that ok with you, or should I maybe require some sort of permission? 8)

gitsticker8

I included a quote.

No it doesn't mean people are obliged to stop smoking.

No you don't need my permission.

And yes, this thread has become pointless.  Mods can we lock it please? :-X

sisif

Quote from: gitsticker8 on 05 May 2017, 01:32:06 AM
I included a quote.
The "YES"? I guess sarcasm is a foreign language for most people...

Ingix

Conveying sarcasm as one word replies in an honest discussion is also tricky.

sisif

Quote from: Ingix on 05 May 2017, 03:21:26 PM

If you read the question that generated the one word answer, it might be more obvious.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: sisif on 05 May 2017, 06:50:32 PM

If you read the question that generated the one word answer, it might be more obvious.

It was an honest, reasonable question. I'm still interested in hearing what your answer is.

Ingix

Quote from: sisif on 05 May 2017, 06:50:32 PM

Of course I realized that this was not a straight answer, because it was not even an answer. I could not understand it, so I ignored it. Other people cannot look into your head, and what may be totally obvious to you is not to others, with the usual visual cues of personal communication missing.

The result one can see here: Someone took you seriously and you are now 'fighting' where one party thinks that the other party said something (which it did) while the other party thinks it should have been obvious that this was sarcasm.

sisif

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 05 May 2017, 08:35:04 PM

It was an honest, reasonable question. I'm still interested in hearing what your answer is.

It was not a question, it was an avalanche of questions.
Anyway, although i have already stated my position, here is again.
If i win the first game, i owe my opponent a rematch (not 5, not 10, I owe one rematch)
If i lose (especially if it a very close game) I kind of feel entitled to a rematch.

gitsticker8

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: sisif on 06 May 2017, 02:23:59 PM
Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 05 May 2017, 08:35:04 PM

It was not a question, it was an avalanche of questions.
Anyway, although i have already stated my position, here is again.
If i win the first game, i owe my opponent a rematch (not 5, not 10, I owe one rematch)
If i lose (especially if it a very close game) I kind of feel entitled to a rematch.

So you'd prefer two-game matches?

tdellaringa

I've played over 400 games and only ever rematched once. It was because the guy asked me to right before I left the table. I was happy to oblige because I had the time, but I don't always. I usually leave right after the game, and usually, so does the other person.

To me this is normal, and rematches are the outlier.

andwilk

Speaking of rematches... if both players choose to play another game together by pressing the "ready" button, does the losing player from the previous game always go first?  I've played a few series over the past few days and this always seems to be the case.

WhiteRabbit1981

It is in the rules that the loosing player goes first in the next game. This rule is surely intended for real-life use, but its a nice detail if online dominion follows it.