Overlord: worth the price??

Previous topic - Next topic

santamonica811

In advance, I understand that the baseline answer is:  "It depends on the deck."  I get that, of course.  :)

But, as far as I can tell, it's essentially a Band of Misfits, but able to emulate a 5 card, instead of only a 4 or lower card, right?  Some other advantages I am missing?

I almost never have 8 coins in the beginning of a game, although it does happen with the right deck from time-to-time.  One hopes there's a King's Court on the table, or another great 6 or 7 card available.  But if not, we all would likely buy a Gold, since we don't want to clog our deck early on with green.  And at the endgame, we are all buying a Prov almost all the time we have 8 coins.  So, we're talking about a fairly narrow midgame range, where buying an Overlord makes sense.

Or, is it especially valuable since it's a Debt card, and can be bought on the very first turn of the game, as opposed to regular cards that require actual coins in hand?

As you more-experienced players have been seeing this card in your games; is it a must-buy most of the time?  An almost-never buy most of the time?  What sort of decks does it work well with?  (Duh; where there are a few great 5 cards, I'm guessing, right?)  :)

Ingix

Maybe the admins can create another forum where such questions would be better suited.

I'm only an average player, so take this with a grain of salt: The big difference is that it can be bought immediatly, on the first turn, if there is a really good 5-cost card, think Witch, Soothsayer, Torturer. You get 7 coin on your first 2 turns usually, so it basically means that you get one card instead of 2 on those 2 turns and have a remaining debt of 1 coin when you start your 3rd turn.

If you play an engine deck, where you want to play lots of action givers and card drawers, both Band of Misfit and Overlord are good because they allow you to become what you don't currently have in your hand. So in the midgame in those games, when you maybe have 5coin, getting an Overlord over a Torturer maybe better because it can be a Torturer if needed, but also be a Village or just some simple cantrip like Hamlet to give you extra buys if you have villages and card drawers already in hand.

Philip

Quote from: Ingix on 01 May 2017, 11:01:08 AM
Maybe the admins can create another forum where such questions would be better suited.

Our forum is for support only. Active communities that discuss strategy in English are:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/