Sore losers

Previous topic - Next topic

sisif

--------:  nice drawing schlub
--------:  really really dumb laugh
--------:  jsut total outdraw
--------left the table.

I see there is a new trend for sore losers. Blame the luck on the opponent and then close the browser tab, to force your opponent to wait for 5 minutes until they can be removed from the game.

Edit: I removed the names (Stef)

AdamH

http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1793.msg6504#msg6504

Edit: posts like these that mention names really should be removed from these forums. There needs to be a way to easily report these people and it needs to be private.

Stef

Quote from: AdamH on 08 May 2017, 05:30:24 PM
Edit: posts like these that mention names really should be removed from these forums. There needs to be a way to easily report these people and it needs to be private.

Yes I agree, I redacted the post. I'll also ask the other mods to remove or redact posts that explicitly mention people.
You can report people privately by sending a PM to one of the moderators or administrators on this forum.

I hate people misbehaving, but I don't believe in public name & shame at all.

sisif

I was reporting the technique, although i see that particular individual is also present in the thread you posted. He/she is not going to bother me anymore, but probably there should be a form of penalty for such shenanigans.

LaLight

Quote from: sisif on 08 May 2017, 05:40:03 PM
I was reporting the technique, although i see that particular individual is also present in the thread you posted. He/she is not going to bother me anymore, but probably there should be a form of penalty for such shenanigans.

We are currently working on the best way to handle people performing such stuff. We are aware of the number of them; we will come up with the best way of punishing.

SirDagen

Quote from: LaLight on 08 May 2017, 09:17:13 PM
we will come up with the best way of punishing.

People, punishment will get us nowhere and its not the people, its their behaviour we dont like. Therefore it is best to draw away attention from the behaviour by minimising the time we have to bestow on it.
Greetings,
SirDagen

LaLight

Quote from: SirDagen on 09 May 2017, 11:46:09 AM
Quote from: LaLight on 08 May 2017, 09:17:13 PM
we will come up with the best way of punishing.

People, punishment will get us nowhere and its not the people, its their behaviour we dont like. Therefore it is best to draw away attention from the behaviour by minimising the time we have to bestow on it.

Yes, I think I chose the incorrect wording. Mostly we will try to minimize the chance of those people playing with other players.

AdamH

It seems pretty simple: if you want less people to slowplay, then don't make it good for them to slowplay.

Gain a reputation for having very little tolerance for slowplayers -- make it visible to them when they've been reported and keep them on an extremely short leash with harsh consequences. Put a very easy-to-access button on the screen when a player resigns that reports their opponent and more people will use it. Reset offenders on the leaderboard and make sure they are very aware that it's being done to them.

People will do what is easiest for them: if you want more people to be reported, make it easy to report people. If you want people to not slowplay, make it really hard and disadvantageous for them to slowplay and make sure they're very aware of it.

WhiteRabbit1981

My take: have a report system, but officially dont do anything. Secretly implement a pairing routine that keeps pairing known slowplayers to each other.

santamonica811

My take: have a report system, but officially dont do anything. Secretly implement a pairing routine that keeps pairing known slowplayers to each other.

Heh.  If only that were something that could be easily implemented.

tufftaeh

I was actually thinking of a slow-rolling bot who would be paired with them, pretending he is one of them by sending suitable chat messages. That would be really fun.  8)

SirDagen

Great, now we are on track again.

Quote from: josh bornstein on 09 May 2017, 09:37:36 PM
Implement a pairing routine that keeps pairing known slowplayers to each other.

I guess it might not be extraordinarily difficult. Build a credit system, where people lose credit if they get reported too often and do not pair people with a credit difference of more than (lets say) 50%. Might be a possibility.
Greetings,
SirDagen

AdamH

Quote from: SirDagen on 10 May 2017, 11:14:21 AM
Great, now we are on track again.

Quote from: josh bornstein on 09 May 2017, 09:37:36 PM
Implement a pairing routine that keeps pairing known slowplayers to each other.

I guess it might not be extraordinarily difficult. Build a credit system, where people lose credit if they get reported too often and do not pair people with a credit difference of more than (lets say) 50%.

But I am not implying that it should be implemented quickly. There might be other tasks to tend to.

I don't think this is a good idea.

Aside from the discussion of how pairings need to be made in a way that maximizes the integrity of the leaderboard, this kind of thing is open to abuse.

Instead of slowplaying, the trolls are now just going to hit the report button on anyone they feel like. Decisions about players who deserve disciplinary action can be made with input from users, but they need to be up to the moderators and probably need to be evaluated on an individual basis.

If I'm going to pay money to use this service and the service is specifically trying to make my experience worse, there better be good reasons and evidence for this, otherwise the service has issues. Opening this kind of thing up to trolls who have any capability at all to abuse ths system is not a good enough reason.

Ingix

I just formulated this in another thread about a similar topic, but it seems to be "the answer" to AdamH's response that reporting would be open to abuse: The game should, in the game log, keep track  (at least internally, not necessarily visible to the players) of the timing when players make decisions.

So just as it notices that you played a Copper, it attaches a time stamp to that decision in the game log. If you wait 4 min before playing the next Copper, this will be "on record". Then games (reported or otherwise) can later be examined (by hand or automatically) by the devs. This means that accusations of stalling are *verifyable*, instead of just being accusations.

AdamH

Sure, and a human being needs to look at that, plus chat logs, plus undo requests, plus anything else in the software that's open to abuse, and evaluate these things on a case-by-case basis, which includes whatever punishment is deemed appropriate.

Messing with their automatch doesn't seem appropriate, though.