Your first $6. Artisan or Gold?

Previous topic - Next topic

tdellaringa

I seem to face this a lot. I know it depends on the cards available. But I wonder what the general strategy is here. I often think I'll get that extra card every shuffle, but the $3 seems just as valuable.

JKRich

Hi. There's another website where strategy is discussed: forum.dominionstrategy.com. In particular your question is addressed here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16603.msg658971#msg658971.

gloures

Artisan is a really good card, you should almost always pick it over gold unless you´re playing something really money based.

And just one other thing, a little bit of general adice, try always to look beyond gold´s $6 price tag... More often than not your first $6 should be just an $5 card, $5 actions make somewhat the bulk of elite actions in Dominion and are frequently the most important cards to get quickly in a given kingdom (which is also why Artisan is a really good card)

tdellaringa

Thanks for the advice. Maybe there should be a strategy section here. I hate having to register for so many forums.

JKRich

Quote from: tdellaringa on 19 May 2017, 01:18:12 AM
Thanks for the advice. Maybe there should be a strategy section here. I hate having to register for so many forums.
I certainly sympathize with that. I saw your post soon after you made it, and had seen someone once make a similar post and basically get the reply "we don't do that here" so I thought I'd save you the wait. Also, f.ds (how forum.dominionstrategy.com gets abbreviated) existed long before shuffleit and has spanned several online implementations and has years worth of knowledge. Still, your point about fewer forums being better is well taken.

Stef

Quote from: JKRich on 19 May 2017, 01:43:54 AM
Quote from: tdellaringa on 19 May 2017, 01:18:12 AM
I certainly sympathize with that. I saw your post soon after you made it, and had seen someone once make a similar post and basically get the reply "we don't do that here" so I thought I'd save you the wait. Also, f.ds (how forum.dominionstrategy.com gets abbreviated) existed long before shuffleit and has spanned several online implementations and has years worth of knowledge. Still, your point about fewer forums being better is well taken.

I don't feel like controlling this. If there is a desire to speak about strategy on this forum, go ahead. As long as it doesn't interfere with the main function of the forum I don't think it will hurt anyone.

WhiteRabbit1981

+1, Stef!
We would love a seperate subforum for strategy questions :-)

gitsticker8

I agree, adding a strategy section would be very easy to do and would help this forum out.  Seems like the first thing people visiting the forum would look for.

Either that or provide a link to the other forum on this forum and in game so people can find what they're looking for.

Jacob Marley

While I'm not against a strategy sub-forum, I will point out that f.ds has years worth of strategy discussions already in place, so it seems a bit like recreating the wheel here.  Going to f.ds will give you so much more than this site for a very long time. 

If you don't think a separate account on f.ds is worthwhile, you can always browse without joining.  If you don't want to even visit another site, well, that is just laziness.

Consider that at least 16 of the top 20 on the leader board (last time I checked) are active members of f.ds, and you can see why if you want to improve at strategy, you want to be on that board.

AdamH

I'm not going to comment on what I think the quality of F.DS and its advice is. Suffice it to say that I want to talk about and improve my strategy and I do NOT want to be on that board.

...but regardless of whether or not F.DS exists, it seems people are going to talk about strategy here too. People talk about strategy other places on the internet as well (reddit, BGG, YouTube/Twitch, etc.) and the existence of F.DS doesn't mean that they shouldn't.

At the end of the day it's up to the people running this forum whether or not they want to allow strategy discussion here. It seems that they probably do, and if that's what they decide, then of course there should probably be a separate board for it.

As for Artisan vs. Gold, well that depends on so much that it's really hard to talk about. The broad strokes have been painted here and I feel like more detailed discussion isn't useful without a kingdom in front of us to talk about.