Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Playing with a VPN  (Read 142 times)

Offline kumarpr228

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Playing with a VPN
« on: 01 June 2017, 06:13:18 am »
Dear Shuffle IT

I play from P. R. China

I can play without a vpn (astrill) but I like to listen to YouTube while I am playing.  YouTube is blocked in main land China. 
Almost at least once a game my browser (google chrome) freezes.  I then go to refresh the browser and have a 50% chance of reconnecting to the game.  I also have a 50% chance of not reconnecting and going back to the main screen. 

My question is this:  those instances when I do not get reconnected back to my game does that mean that my opponent has resigned before my browser has had a chance to refresh?  Does refreshing my browser cause me to resign to my opponent.  I understand if I take too long to refresh than my opponent can force me to resign.  Refreshing my browser never takes more than 20-30sec.

What are the possible outcomes when I am unbale to reconnect to my game once I refresh my browser?
1.   If I take too long then my opponent has forced to me to resign.
2.   If it only takes my browser a few secs to refresh but I go back to the main screen instead of reconnecting to my game, what has happened?
   a.   Has my opponent resigned?
     i.   If my opponent has resigned during the time it takes for my browser to refresh do I get a win?
   b.   Has my opponent won because I have refreshed the browser?
   c.   Something else?
Also I have about a 90% chance to have my browser freeze at the end of the game.  I see the end game screen about 10% of the games I play.  Is there anything I can do at my end to be able to see the end screen more often?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Offline limetime

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with a VPN
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2017, 06:22:15 am »
It takes 5 minutes of inactivity (opponent waiting you to make a decision)
If it takes you to the login screen you should be able to login and rejoin your game.
If you use a chrome extension VPN you can run your vpn in one browser window and your dominion in another.

Offline kumarpr228

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with a VPN
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2017, 06:51:39 am »
I should explain a little more. 
When I refresh my browser, it takes me back to the long in screen.  50% of the times I log back in it reconnects me back to my game and the other 50% it takes me to the matching tab of the game menu.

What happens when I log back in and it is not reconnecting me to my game?

It never taken me more than 1 min to refresh my browser.

Thanks for the reply:D

Offline markus

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 134
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with a VPN
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2017, 08:00:17 am »
The most likely outcome when you reconnect to the lobby is that your opponent resigned, which caused you to reconnect in the first place. As I understand, you need to be connected to a different server to get the end of game screen. If you lose connection to that during the game, you won't see it when the game ends to the standard reasons or resignation.

The best place to check what happened in a rated 2 player game is http://dominion.lauxnet.com/scavenger/?user=kumarpr229

Offline kumarpr228

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with a VPN
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2017, 01:53:41 am »
Thanks for that link.

Super helpful, I found out that when I can't reconnect to game it seems that my opponent has quite and I have been awarded the victory.