Gold subscription and cards from first eddition

Previous topic - Next topic

kumarpr228

Dear Shuffle iT

Could it possible if you included the cards from first edition Intrigue and First edition Dominion for gold subscription players.

My friends and I don't meet for table top games as much these days, maybe about 3 times a month.

We still play with the first edition cards.  I don't think there is such a think as a bad or useless card, it all depends on the board and what the players choose.

I would love to be able to play with the first edition cards.  It would great if yo could them back in the game.

If anyone else would like to have the first edition cards back in the game please reply to this post.

I want to keep the 2nd edition cards but would like to have the option of playing with those first edition cards as well.

Thanks in advance Shuffle iT.

Donald X.

Quote from: kumarpr228 on 03 June 2017, 03:46:18 AM
Could it possible if you included the cards from first edition Intrigue and First edition Dominion for gold subscription players.
It is unlikely to ever happen, as I personally don't want it to. Player demand would have to be significant.

I don't mind that you still play with them IRL, but to me they're just inferior cards that made it out because I didn't know any better. I don't think the nostalgia value is enough to actually put them into games.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Donald X. on 03 June 2017, 07:31:38 PM
Quote from: kumarpr228 on 03 June 2017, 03:46:18 AM
It is unlikely to ever happen, as I personally don't want it to. Player demand would have to be significant.

I don't mind that you still play with them IRL, but to me they're just inferior cards that made it out because I didn't know any better. I don't think the nostalgia value is enough to actually put them into games.

I may be the only one who thinks that Woodcutter > Harbinger, but I'm prepared to die on that hill.

Stef

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 04 June 2017, 08:39:34 AM
I may be the only one who thinks that Woodcutter > Harbinger, but I'm prepared to die on that hill.

In every set of cards something has to be the worst, and I think among the new 2E cards it's clearly Harbinger. Every time I look at it I think "this could be useful" and somehow it almost never is. But it still beats Woodcutter by a landslide.

kumarpr228

Dear Doanald X

Thanks for the reply.  With our table top games with we randomly choose our kingdom cards from every card except for black market cause no one wants to take the time to set it up.

Here is hoping that there is enough player demand for the replaced cards.

/fingers crossed

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Stef on 04 June 2017, 03:31:30 PM
Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 04 June 2017, 08:39:34 AM

In every set of cards something has to be the worst, and I think among the new 2E cards it's clearly Harbinger. Every time I look at it I think "this could be useful" and somehow it almost never is. But it still beats Woodcutter by a landslide.

IMGHO (G=genuinely), Harbinger is a better card to have in the active, general card pool, but Woodcutter is a better card to have in the intro set. I think a lot of the base cards teach valuable lessons about how the game works. In the case of Woodcutter, you have to ask "is this better than a Silver?" and "how valuable is an extra buy?". Those are great questions for newbies to consider. But considering that the proportion of Dominion newbies among all players has likely never been lower, the utility of such "teaching cards" is also at an all-time low.

Jacob Marley

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 05 June 2017, 10:14:01 PM

IMGHO (G=genuinely), Harbinger is a better card to have in the active, general card pool, but Woodcutter is a better card to have in the intro set. I think a lot of the base cards teach valuable lessons about how the game works. In the case of Woodcutter, you have to ask "is this better than a Silver?" and "how valuable is an extra buy?". Those are great questions for newbies to consider. But considering that the proportion of Dominion newbies among all players has likely never been lower, the utility of such "teaching cards" is also at an all-time low.

I don't agree that the lesson of the value of +buy requires a card like woodcutter.  I learned (and sometimes relearn) the value of a buy when I find myself generating, say 13 coins and wishing that I could get a power 5 along with my province, or having to pay 6 for an Herbalist which is the only available buy in the kingdom and knowing that I really need double province.

The point is any relatively cheap +buy card can teach that lesson.  As for is it better than silver, again, you don't need woodcutter.  Any cost 3 (or cost 4 in some cases) can teach the same lesson.  Woodcutter is not something I personally miss at all.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: Jacob Marley on 05 June 2017, 10:35:50 PM
The point is any relatively cheap +buy card can teach that lesson.

Sure, but now there isn't one of those in the base set.

QuoteAs for is it better than silver, again, you don't need woodcutter.  Any cost 3 (or cost 4 in some cases) can teach the same lesson.

Also true, but I think it's a more direct comparison when the action card generates 2C and costs the same as silver.

Cave-O-Sapien

To be clear: I am not in any way advocating that the 1E cards be added back in. Mostly I just wanted to reminisce about Woodcutter for a moment or two and simultaneously complain about Harbinger.

Jagoop

I agree with the need for 1st edition cards. I really miss them.
Since the number of physical 1st ed. games sold, is significant, I think a lot of other people are missing those cards.

blamelewis

I recently stumbled across a box of 1st Edition Dominion in a gaming shop, and bought it with delight, because I'm:
a) a completist
b) an idiot

so I'd love to have the chance to play with the legacy cards for both those reasons... I appreciate that would and should be waaaay down the priority list, but it would be great bonus for a Gold subscriber and if there's a worry about diluting the utility of the 2nd gen cards perhaps legacy cards could be only be added to kingdoms via an option checkbox?

Best
T.

jeebus

Although it seems it's never going to happen, I'll add my name to the list of people wanting to have 1E cards available somehow.