Can't Connect to Server

Previous topic - Next topic

Omastar68

I saw the solution in the Frequently Encountered Problems thread, but I have no idea what it means. What ports? My laptop says turning off Windows Firewall isn't recommended and that didn't do anything anyways. I've restarted my laptop, and refreshed the page many times. It just started doing this today, I didn't change anything since yesterday so this is weird.

Also, the Discord Channel for Interactive Chat mentioned in the Interactive Support thread won't load for me, that's why I'm asking here. Someone please help, Dominion is pretty much my favorite thing!

Stef

Quote from: Omastar68 on 07 June 2017, 07:44:00 PM
I saw the solution in the Frequently Encountered Problems thread, but I have no idea what it means. What ports? My laptop says turning off Windows Firewall isn't recommended and that didn't do anything anyways. I've restarted my laptop, and refreshed the page many times. It just started doing this today, I didn't change anything since yesterday so this is weird.

Also, the Discord Channel for Interactive Chat mentioned in the Interactive Support thread won't load for me, that's why I'm asking here. Someone please help, Dominion is pretty much my favorite thing!

I'd like to help you but it's quite hard on a forum... it usually comes down to doing several steps of questions & answers, and what could be 5 minutes on discord may turn into a week on a forum.

Any chance your not-connecting-to-discord and not-connecting-to-the-game are related?
Did anything change in your internet connection / modem / browser since yesterday?

Maybe you can describe in a bit more detail what is happening or what you see? What does "can't connect to server" mean? Can you load the page, but then it doesn't connect to the metaserver? Or can you connect to the metaserver but not to a gameserver? Can you tell me what it says on your javascript console?

Omastar68

Quote from: Stef on 07 June 2017, 10:24:25 PM
Quote from: Omastar68 on 07 June 2017, 07:44:00 PM

I'd like to help you but it's quite hard on a forum... it usually comes down to doing several steps of questions & answers, and what could be 5 minutes on discord may turn into a week on a forum.

Any chance your not-connecting-to-discord and not-connecting-to-the-game are related?
Did anything change in your internet connection / modem / browser since yesterday?

Maybe you can describe in a bit more detail what is happening or what you see? What does "can't connect to server" mean? Can you load the page, but then it doesn't connect to the metaserver? Or can you connect to the metaserver but not to a gameserver? Can you tell me what it says on your javascript console?

I attached a screenshot of what I get when I go to https://www.dominion.games/ Just the basic thing where it can't connect, I get these some, but it's never been an issue for so long, I'd just have to hit Retry or refresh the page.

My internet is still working fine. No one messes w/ the modem, and I'm still using Google Chrome. This laptop stays home if that matters.

I'm really hopeless w/ tech stuff, what is a javascript console? Well, where do I find it at least, no way I'd understand.

Stef

Quote from: Omastar68 on 08 June 2017, 12:19:52 AM
I'm really hopeless w/ tech stuff, what is a javascript console? Well, where do I find it at least, no way I'd understand.

In chrome the shortcut for the console is ctrl-shift-i (or command instead of ctrl if you're on a mac).

Omastar68

In chrome the shortcut for the console is ctrl-shift-i (or command instead of ctrl if you're on a mac).

I did that, thanks. Here's how it looks when I go to the Console tab. Just that blue arrow, I can type next to it to look up...stuff. No idea it that means, what am I looking for?

Stef

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but now you're reporting on what the console says when you visit the forum.
I want to know what the console says when you're trying to play the game.

Omastar68

Quote from: Stef on 08 June 2017, 06:35:30 PM
This is exactly what I'm looking for, but now you're reporting on what the console says when you visit the forum.
I want to know what the console says when you're trying to play the game.

Here's what I get when I do that after getting the error. Also, I was able to connect at school today with my other laptop.

OMG, I just tried again today and it worked! No idea why, but I've just been trying each day. Was this just an issue with the server and not with my internet or anything?

2nd Edit: Back to not working again.

Omastar68

So my issue is still unresolved, many times I can connect or can after restarting my computer, but often not. Even if I do connect, refreshing the page can give me the error again. If anyone could help that'd be great, I'd like to play more again.

Stef

Quote from: Omastar68 on 12 June 2017, 11:11:48 PM
So my issue is still unresolved, many times I can connect or can after restarting my computer, but often not. Even if I do connect, refreshing the page can give me the error again. If anyone could help that'd be great, I'd like to play more again.

Sorry I'd like to help but I don't know what it is. I'm convinced it's something on your end that is killing the connection, but I don't know what. (which is not to say we couldn't do anything to make this more clear or prevent it all along).
Could you tell me what https://websocketstest.com/ reports? Preferably try it at some moment you can play dominion and also at a moment you can't. Hopefully there is a difference.

Omastar68

Quote from: Stef on 13 June 2017, 12:32:43 AM
Quote from: Omastar68 on 12 June 2017, 11:11:48 PM

Sorry I'd like to help but I don't know what it is. I'm convinced it's something on your end that is killing the connection, but I don't know what. (which is not to say we couldn't do anything to make this more clear or prevent it all along).
Could you tell me what https://websocketstest.com/ reports? Preferably try it at some moment you can play dominion and also at a moment you can't. Hopefully there is a difference.

Dominion isn't working right now for me, here's a screenshot if what your link shows. I'll add what it says if Dominion works again.

I guess I need Websockets to work and it says it doesn't. Next to HTTP Proxy it says no, do I need to install that or something?

Omastar68

Something weird happened, changed a setting and Dominion worked when I refreshed, Websockets shows the same thing though. Here's what I changed, not sure why.

EDIT: also weird, switching that proxy setting on then off again fixes it if Dominion stops working. "Fixes" might be a strong word though, if I find a game it is very slow to load and often doesn't and takes me back to the matching screen.